Cold Hands by John J. Niven

Cold Hands (2012)

by John J. Niven

English (2)  German (1)  All (3)
Donnie Miller counts himself lucky. Living in a beautiful, spacious house in the wild and remote landscape of central Canada, he spends his days writing for the local newspaper, working on a film script, and acting as house-husband. After a troubled and impoverished upbringing in Scotland, he now has all he wants: a caring wife, a bright and happy son, a generous father-in-law. As the brutal northern winter begins to bite, he can sit back and enjoy life.

But his peace is soon to be broken. There are noises in the nearby woods, signs of some mysterious watcher. When the family dog disappears, Donnie makes a horrifying discovery. Is it wolves, as the police suspect, or something far more dangerous, far darker? What secrets has Donnie been keeping? And why does he have the terrible sense that his dream was never going to last?

Ridiculously compelling tale of revenge set in snowbound Saskatchewan but its origins are on a deprived estate in Glasgow.

The Scottish flashbacks are well done but the crime bears an uncomfortable resemblance to a notorious real-life crime.
Star off for the dog (cannot abide violence against animals – people are fine) and another off for the lunatic killer who won’t stay dead in the conclusion.

jan.fleming | Feb 9, 2015 |
Donnie Miller marries into wealth and moves from his impoverished upbringing in Scotland to wild and remote part of central Canada, where he lives in a beautiful house owned by his wife’s family. Life is good, but as winter progresses and the cold intensifies, odd things start to happen.

Through flashback, Niven shows us unsavoury episodes from Miller’s past … but how are they connected to what is happening now???

I haven’t read any other books by this author, but the write-ups looked good, so I thought I would give it a try. And I wasn’t disappointed. I loved the writing style, and felt that Niven did a good job of showing us how Miller’s background had shaped his future actions. I also loved the strong sense of place and climate given by the setting in the Saskatchewan winter.

I will look out for more books in this series. ( )
  hashford | Nov 28, 2012 |
Had I thy brethren here, their lives and thine were not revenge sufficient for me. No, if I digged up thy forefathers' graves, and hung their rotten coffins up in chains, it could not slake mine ire, nor ease my heart.
Henry the Sixth, Part Three
For my sister, Linda
A real girl
It's warm here, in Coldwater. (Prologue)

You thought you could leave the past behind.
Think again.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0434019577, Hardcover)

A taut, shocking and visceral thriller that will leave you gasping for breath, Cold Hands is the first in an exciting new series by the remarkable John J. Niven.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:52 -0400)

Donnie Miller counts himself lucky. Living in a beautiful, spacious home. He has all he could want. But as the Northern winter begins to bite he begins to hear noises in the woods. Then the family dog disappears. What has Donnie been hiding?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,646,091 books! | Top bar: Always visible