Maggot Moon by Sally Gardner

Maggot Moon (original 2012; edition 2013)

by Sally Gardner (Author), Julian Crouch (Cover Art)

Member:konallis
Title:Maggot Moon
Authors:Sally Gardner (Author)
Other authors:Julian Crouch (Cover Art)
Info:Hot Key Books (2013), 304 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:children's/young adult, dystopia/utopia, read 2018

Maggot Moon by Sally Gardner (2012)

English (38)  German (1)  All languages (39)
What a dreary -what if Hitler won- story of a dyslexic youth whose parents and only friend have been disappeared and whose only comforts are his grandfather and his imaginings. Tales of the horrors of repression really only interest me 1) the the oppression was real and not speculative or 2) are written by Ursula Le Guin or an author of similar quality, if any.This is the second book in a row I've read with an odd eyed main character, one brown one blue. Weird. ( )
  quondame | Jun 1, 2018 |
This was an ultra fast read. It's a rather odd book. I found myself confused in the beginning because it jumps around so much with few connections pulling it together. It does finally pull itself together and become more storylike about 1/3 of the way in. Once you begin to understand it you realize that it is actually a melding of the holocaust with the moon landing conspiracy theory retold in a completely unconventional way. There is so much going on in this book in terms of portraying different aspects of human character and relationships, but most of it parallels the holocaust. On one hand you have the Nazis who are portrayed by the murderous teacher and the "pure" families. On the other hand you have the Jews and sympathizers represented by Standish, his Gramps, and his friend Hector. I enjoyed being challenged in my thinking as I read the book and I think the different interpretations would make this a great book club choice. However I'm not sure this book would be well received by the typical teenager.

One other note. The dyslexia aspect of this book is strongly emphasized in the book blurb however I felt that this point actually had minimal mention in the story. I would not read the book if I were hoping to learn anything about dyslexia. ( )
  valorrmac | May 15, 2018 |
I did not finish it. Not my sort of book.
  thewriterswife | Mar 26, 2018 |
a great dystopian novel based in the past in they point of view of a teenager. written very well and easy to reader, however violent. ( )
  Hannahsloth | Jun 18, 2017 |
Weird, a bit too weird for my liking. Frick Fracking Hell! ( )
  jothebookgirl | Jan 3, 2017 |

Sally Gardnerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Herzke, IngoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Steinhöfel, AndreasNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

"An unlikely teenager risks all to expose the truth about a heralded moon landing. What if the football hadn't gone over the wall. On the other side of the wall there is a dark secret. And the devil. And the Moon Man. And the Motherland doesn't want anyone to know. But Standish Treadwell--who has different-colored eyes, who can't read, can't write, Standish Treadwell isn't bright--sees things differently than the rest of the "train-track thinkers." So when Standish and his only friend and neighbor, Hector, make their way to the other side of the wall, they see what the Motherland has been hiding. And it's big."--Dust jacket.… (more)

Sally Gardner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,187,005 books! | Top bar: Always visible