Looking for Me by Beth Hoffman

Looking for Me

by Beth Hoffman

This novel is a paradigm of a genre I call "cozy reads." Unlike the traditional British cozy, murder is usually NOT part of the plot; the focus is on family relationships, psychological conflicts, and making one's way through life's joys and challenges. All or most of the main characters are likeable and well fleshed out. Love of one's home, love of animals and nature, and engaging descriptions usually feature prominently in the narration, and the narrator shares her philosophical outlook generously. With cozy reads, one feels safe in the author's hands. Although it is well-written, it often receives little acclaim from the 'literati' due to its oft-used themes. "Looking for me" has all of these features. It's like comfort food in book form. ( )
  MsRoux | Aug 11, 2017 |
One of things I love best about reading is starting a book and knowing in the first few pages that I am in very good hands. The sense of being carried into a story is priceless. Hoffman is a skillful storyteller; most of the time, I didn't know she was there, and when I did, it was because the descriptions were so vivid they stopped me in my tracks. There is tremendous feeling in these pages, too, but Hoffman's style is never forced and never saccharine. The prose is as elegant as the antiques the main character, Teddi, brings back to life in her Charleston shop.

At its heart, Looking for Me is about how we perceive our families as we leave them, grow, and come back again. When Teddi moves away, she understands little of her family, but over the years comes to know many difficult and beautiful truths. One such truth is that people are rarely as they seem; they hide their mysteries to spare their loved ones, and themselves, pain. And we learn, as Teddi does, that love has many faces, and an open heart sees them all.

A delightful, moving story.

SonjaYoerg | Mar 6, 2017 |
I loved this heartwarming book. The author writes with a lot of heart, in a way that made me truly care about her delightful characters. I enjoyed the themes of family, loss, and finding yourself. The settings of Charleston and Kentucky were so descriptive that I could imagine myself there and would love to visit Teddi's shop. Highly recommended!
1 vote janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |
This book was ok., a bit simplistic, a light read. It would be a good book for the beach or a holiday ( )
  janismack | Jun 17, 2016 |
With settings in Kentucky and Charleston, SC, this book piqued my interest from the start. Add the likable, multi-dimensional characters; the importance of the natural world to the plot; and a mysterious disappearance, and the result is a very enjoyable novel. The story is a bit predictable, so I deducted a star for that, but I do recommend this novel by the author of Saving Cee-Cee Honeycutt. ( )
  phyllis.shepherd | Apr 22, 2016 |
Looking for Me (Beth Hoffman)

Teddi Overman leaves rural Kentucky for Charleston with dreams of opening her own shop. She loves to restore old furniture and turn them into treasures. She starts to build a new life, she makes friends and even finds love. Yet she is still haunted by her past. That one day when her brother Josh disappeared. She hangs on to hope that one day he will come home.

Looking for Me is a story of family, loss, love and Teddi's desire to find herself. A touching story with likable characters, a flawed family and one woman's determination to make everything right. Great story line that left a lasting impression, will stay with me for a long time.
added by SheriAWilkinson | editPrinceton, Il., Sheri A Wilkinson (Oct 26, 2013)

Some people run toward life, arms flung wide in anticipation.
Sometimes it's not what we hold on to that shapes our lives—it's what we're willing to let go of.

Opening an antiques shop in Charleston after discovering a talent for restoring furniture, Teddi Overman struggles to come to terms with her shattered family and sense of self after receiving news that her long-missing brother might still be alive.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,919,215 books! | Top bar: Always visible