How to tell if your cat is plotting to kill…

How to tell if your cat is plotting to kill you (original 2012; edition 2012)

by The Oatmeal

Member:kevinyezbick
Title:How to tell if your cat is plotting to kill you
Authors:The Oatmeal
Info:Kansas City, MO : Andrews McMeel Pub., LLC, 2012.
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:illustration, comics, internet, cats, humor, from:library, nonfiction

How to Tell If Your Cat Is Plotting to Kill You by The Oatmeal (2012)

2013 (14) Adults (4) animals (8) art (2) cartoons (12) cat (4) cats (59) comedy (6) comic (12) comics (32) ebook (5) fiction (19) funny (4) goodreads (3) graphic novel (16) humor (101) illustrated (4) internet (5) non-fiction (13) oatmeal (3) own (3) pets (2) read (6) read in 2012 (4) read in 2013 (8) teen (4) The Oatmeal (7) to-read (22) webcomic (6) webcomics (3)

English (22)  German (1)  All languages (23)
I follow the oatmeal online. I love their comics about pets and this book was just like the website. It's riotously funny and very accurate. I have put their other books on hold and plan to read them the minute they show up in the holds queue. Some of the frank talk about how animals lick their privates could offend some people but hey people pick their noses so its really not all that strange. ( )
  SparklePonies | Feb 22, 2014 |
I got this for my birthday last year and I haven't stopped laughing since! The sad thing is, some of the behaviors are quite accurate... ( )
  mlyons1 | Feb 12, 2014 |
The witty, true-to-life observations about strange cat behavior were laugh out loud great. I wish the whole book had been nothing but funny truths and possible schemes that your cat is trying to kill you. However, mid-way through the book there's a mini-office tale in which two cats are working like humans. It was just ok to me, sorta the slow point of the book. Also, there's a possibly offensive section about trying to make your gay cat straight again. Just not my sense of humor. So, overall, the book was a mix of parts I LOVED and parts I really could have done without. ( )
  vonze | Feb 6, 2014 |
This is a short but cute collection of not-so-cuddly cat comics from the mind behind the wildly popular humor website The Oatmeal. As the title would suggest, this collection focuses on the humorously diabolical side of felines -- their plotting, their megalomania, and that dreaded ability they have to lure you in for a belly-rub before ripping your arm off while smiling. Anyone who has ever lived with a cat will recognize that the book does not have an absurd premise.

The collection is split up into three rough sections -- the namesake, a series of comics about cats in the workplace called "The Bobcats," and a collection of miscellany to close it out. The Bobcats -- two tie-wearing, coffee-drinking felines named Bob -- works best due to the character development (rare in such a brief series) and the anthropomorphic nature that cat ladies and gents alike love so much.

The drawing style is appealing, the jokes are smart and biting, and the comics will be ones to revisit on your coffee table for sure. This book is an ideal gift for the edgy cat lover in your life; note that some mild language makes it less than ideal for Great-Aunt Selma.

The collection isn't as exquisite as the poetry of "I Could Pee on This," the undisputed champion of recent smart cat humor (yes, that's a genre now!), but it's still a treat...a tasty, tasty kibble treat.

(Note to e-book borrowers: If your library uses Overdrive, select to view on-line instead of in the app for dramatically smoother browsing and better load times.) ( )
1 vote JAshleyOdell | Nov 11, 2013 |
I've never really checked out The Oatmeal, and maybe that impacted how I felt about this book. I'd seen some of the stuff in the book, because it had been shared by various people. Anyway, the book is funny. It is a bit repetitive, but that's kind of par for the course with some comedy/humor books.

Even though I really enjoyed this book, I'm not sure if I would be willing to buy it. It's not exactly something that would be entertaining after you've already read it. I would suggest people check it out from their local libraries, unless they are collectors of stuff by The Oatmeal. ( )
  janersm | Oct 13, 2013 |
6 ways to tell if your cat thinks it's a mountain lion

A hilarious, brilliant offering of cat comics, facts, and instructional guides from the creative wonderland at TheOatmeal.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,569,906 books! | Top bar: Always visible