A Plain Scandal: An Appleseed Creek Mystery…

A Plain Scandal: An Appleseed Creek Mystery

by Amanda Flower

The Amish community is under a strange kind of attack – someone is cutting off the hair and beards of the Amish. Though distressed by these attacks, the Amish prefer to handle the misdeeds themselves. But when her Amish friends become more and more anxious by the attacks and one attack ends in a death, Chloe decides to do some sleuthing on her own. Wanting to restore peace and tranquility back to the community she has embraced, Chloe puts herself in danger. A suspenseful story with well-developed characters, this tale is highly entertaining. ( )
  Maydacat | Sep 16, 2016 |
A Plain Scandal by Amanda Flower is the second book in the Appleseed Creek Mystery series. Chloe Humphrey is enjoying her job at Harshberger College. Chloe is the Director of Computer Services. Becky Troyer (ex-Amish) is still living with Chloe and is now working part-time at Young’s Family Restaurant. Becky has completed a majority of her community service and is looking forward to finishing her hours.

While at home on day, Dylan Tanner shows up at the girls front door! He has come to tour the property. Evidently, Dylan has purchased the home from the former owner and they were not notified. Chloe knows Dylan from Harshberger College. Dylan is the chair of the biology department. Dylan wants to restore the home to its former glory. Chloe and Becky do not want to live in a house undergoing restoration. This is going to be a challenge.

Timothy Troyer and Chloe are getting to know each other. They have yet to go on an “official” date, but they see a lot of each other. Timothy has also been making repairs to the house as they are needed. That is the first thing that Dylan nixes. He wants the restorations to be “authentic” to the time period of the home.

Timothy has become a contractor (instead of just a carpenter) and is first job is at the Young’s Flea Market. The owner’s (Ellie Young) son, Ezekiel Young is overseeing the project. Ezekiel is the opposite of his twin brother, Uriah. Uriah is friendly and nice, while Ezekiel can be testy (and come across rude). Chloe goes looking for Timothy one day at the flea market and stumbles across the body of Ezekiel. Appleseed Creek Chief of Police, Greta Rose is summoned to the scene.

At the same time someone is terrorizing the Amish. Someone has cut off the hair of four girls and the beards of two men. Who would commit such a horrible crime? Timothy’s grandfather is one of the victims. Chloe and Timothy are determined to find out who is behind these crimes as well as solve Ezekiel’s murder.

I found A Plain Scandal to be just delightful. Amanda Flower has created a great town with unique characters. I give A Plain Scandal 5 out of 5! I enjoyed revisiting Appleseed Creek to see how Becky is handling being an Englisher, Timothy and Chloe’s romance, and checking up on the Troyer family (as well as Greta Rose). ( )
  StephLaymon | Feb 3, 2016 |

I received a complimentary copy of this book from NetGalley (and the publisher) in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Kris_Anderson | Mar 25, 2015 |
A few months after Chloe solved the bishop's murder she is now involved with the mystery of whom is attacking Amish women and cutting off their hair or Amish men and cutting for their beards. Then she discovers the body of Ezekiel Young on the job site that Timothy is the contractor. She and Becca also have to deal with a new landlord who lives in town. I like these people a lot. The Amish are tight lipped but somehow Chloe gets them to talk to her. I like that hers and Timothy's romance seems to be moving along. My favorite character is Grandfather Zook. No matter what happens to him he sees the good in life. The mystery was believable. I also liked that the new bishop finally steps out of the shadow of Deacon Sutter, though it takes him awhile. I like the glimpse we are given of Amish life as well as the not so nice aspects also. I am loving this series. ( )
  Sheila1957 | Jun 3, 2014 |
This was the second in the Appleseed Creek Mystery.

I have not read the first one so I had a hard time getting into this one. I think I might have enjoyed it more if I read the first one first as it seems like we heard a lot about the characters.

Amish beards and long hair are being cut off. Chloe, who is not Amish, steps in as she knows the Amish won't talk to the police.

A few side stories are thrown in.

jnut1 | Mar 4, 2014 |

The people of Appleseed Creek in the heart of Ohio's Amish country are under attack. Soon after the dust has settled on a buggy accident that turned out to be murder, an unknown assailant begins cutting off the long hair of Amish women and the beards of Amish men. New to the area, computer specialist Chloe Humphrey may not share their customs, but she is certainly alarmed over these crimes against the Amish and worries how such events will impact her growing number of friends who are more connected to that way of life.… (more)

Amanda Flower is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,013,610 books! | Top bar: Always visible