What Happens At Christmas by Victoria…

What Happens At Christmas

by Victoria Alexander

2011888,316 (3.6)5

Camille has given up in find love for herself. Once eleven years ago, she had love, but the man she loved never fought for her when it mattered. So now a widow, she is determined to snatch up a prince. So she organizes a house party, to show the Prince a traditional Christmas family gathering, hires actors to act as servants and some family members, with only herself and her sister as real members of the family. Then all her dreams to marry a prince may go down the drain when Grey, the man she once gave her heart to, has returned and at the worst moment possible. Grayson Elliot, once loved Camille, but she was about to marry another man, so when she gets married, Grey leaves and makes his fortune. Now eleven years later, he knows that he will need to fight with everything at his disposal to gain the one woman who has always been the keeper of his heart. The only problem is, she is trying to marry a prince, and Grey will need to prove himself to win her over, and show her that their love is worth fighting for.

What Happens At Christmas is the first in the series, and when I was at my library, I was looking for a good Christmas read, and this definitely fit the criteria I was looking for. There is something about historical romances set in this holiday season, and What Happens At Christmas definitely was perfect for this time of year. Its been quite some time since I have read this author, but her earlier books were some of my first romances so this author is very dear to me. So I knew I needed to get back to reading her, and What Happens At Christmas was the perfect way to start reading her again. Even though it took me longer than I thought it would take to read this, I thoroughly enjoyed this one. There was such a playful and teasing manner to this story. The story begins with the heroine trying to catch a prince, and sets up a delightful scheme to win him. Then a past love returns and all hell breaks loose, wagers are debated, and a battle of the wills begins. The plot wasn't thick with intrigue or anything, but it was full of mystery and fascinating dilemma's. The relationship between Grey and Camille is definitely rocky and unstable at times, but at other is lively and delectable.

Overall I couldn't help but fall in love with this yuletide themed romance that is fun and full of twists and turns. Exceptional in the writing, astounding in the creativity, and plenty of dramatic characters to warm you on a cold evening. EARTH SHATTERING TO THE SENSES!! ( )
  addictofromance | Mar 17, 2019 |
A lighthearted romp with good dialog, entertaining plot and characters. ( )
  kimkimkim | Aug 21, 2017 |
I loved the original plot in this historical romance. It was unrealistic for the most part, but I didn't mind at all. I accepted it as I would accept a wonderful fairytale. Not everything has to be entirely plausible for me to enjoy it, especially at Christmas. ( )
  StephLaymon | Jan 26, 2016 |
It's a historical romance, but very farcial - almost over the top. For a light read, it's okay.
Rating: 6/10 ( )
  Marcella1717 | Jan 22, 2016 |
This was a fun, light-hearted romance. It also had plenty of Christmas details that I require this time of year. The main character is a strong-willed, perhaps a little too quick to jump into action heroine who not only has enough family to keep you shaking your head at the craziness, she also hired actors to play a typical family but who are even crazier than her real family. You realize even though your family drives you nuts their really is no place like home for the holidays. ( )
  mmoj | Aug 16, 2015 |
December 19, 1886

"And you believe this is a good idea," Beryl, Lady Dunwell, said to her sister.

Camille, Lady Lydingham, knows precisely what she wants for Christmas — an official engagement to a handsome, dashing prince. Her very proper suitor expects a proper English family and the perfect Dickensian Christmas, which leaves the lovely widow with a slight problem. The last thing Camille wants is for the prince to meet her unconventional relatives. But with the aid of a troupe of actors, Camille intends to pull off a Christmas deception of massive proportions. At least until Grayson Elliot shows up. A dozen years ago, he declared his love on the day before her marriage to another man, then vanished from her life. Now he’s back, gate-crashing Camille’s already chaotic house party, playing absolute havoc with her scheme — and with her heart. Because for Grayson, losing Camille once was quite bad enough. Losing her twice? Unthinkable. And he’ll find a way to show her they belong together — for this season, and every Christmas yet to come…

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:07 -0400)

Camille, Lady Lydingham, wants an official engagement to a handsome, dashing prince for Christmas, but her plans go awry when she organizes a party for him to meet her unconventional relatives--and a former love interest also shows up.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,372,860 books! | Top bar: Always visible