The Elite (The Selection) by Kiera Cass

The Elite (The Selection) (edition 2014)

by Kiera Cass (Author)

Member:UWBCLibrary
Title:The Elite (The Selection)
Authors:Kiera Cass (Author)
Info:HarperTeen (2014), Edition: Reprint, 352 pages

The Elite by Kiera Cass

Recently added byFairfieldNeLibrary, bet1008, CarlaAquino, Rena37, private library, mryan40, MajaDiana, mlkbobe

English (134)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All (136)
The Elite is the second stage in the process called the 'Selection'. The second book of the series, the Elite, is about America Singer's confused feelings about the Prince A.K.A. Maxon Schreave. This book becomes interesting when America discovers a holiday called Halloween that was cancelled after the fourth world war. Maxon decides to have a Halloween party to bring back 'the past' but instead of it coming out beautifully it becomes a disaster when a video comes out the next day of America's best friend, Marlee, on a date with one of the guards. Marlee is fined for treason and caned along with the officer. This instead of setting an example to the girls of the Selection not to do that, just makes America more determined to end the Selection and the caste system that has kept her and her family on the bottom of society for years. America goes through many doubts and challenges in this book, especially sinc eher ex-boyfriend was drafted to work at the palace and is determined to win her over before Maxon does. It's down to the final four and with the rebels getting closer and closer to the palace America starts to wonder more about whether she will survive this Selection and less about whether she will win the crown and Maxon's heart.

In my opinion this book was overall, amazing. It has all the things I'm interested in and a great storyline. I love the mix of personalities in this book and how they all interact with each other whether it's America who is from a lowly caste arguing with Celeste who is a two and in a very high caste. This book is also very well written because instead of portraying a perfect, fairy tale relationship, it really just has Maxon and America getting into constant fights and I like this about the book because it shows how a REAL relationship works and not a daydream relationship like that of Cinderella. I think that Kiera Cass did a great job with the way she described everything that they went through together because it paints the perfect picture of everything. Overall, the Elite is a good book with a great baseline and I recommend it. ( )
  JasmineV.G1 | Sep 8, 2017 |
Dang, I whipped through that one, too. I enjoyed the fact that she [America, the lead] wasn't sure of her feelings and how long it's taking to process them. There were definitely lots of emotional ups and downs in this one, and I especially liked the clever responses Ames or Meri (both nicknames for the lead) would give when she was put on the spot. The antagonists are just within the competition now, but outside of it, too.

Though, I can't believe with all the raging hormones- these girls are teenagers- there weren't more fights and sabotage going on within the competition- castle, shmastle-- it can be done. Ahem, not that I would know anything about anything.

I'm onto the next in the series, and I'll meet you on the other end. ( )
  lollyletsgo | Aug 10, 2017 |
Continuing from book 1, but now with 50% more love triangle. Seriously...glad I'm interested in the journey here, folks. The constant waffling about the two boys just about made me lose my mind.

America is still in the Selection. Maxon is convinced she is the girl for him. I'm not entirely sure why. She is a bit ridiculous at times and strings him along. Anyway. I won't spoil anything but a lot of political drama happens and we are mainly as in the dark about it as America. But we get more insights into Maxon and his way of thinking, and that is enough for me to read the next book. 2 1/2 stars for the selfish love triangle nonsense, but I'm in it until the end now.

I need more time with the Queen. Crossing my fingers that happens in book 3. ( )
  GovMarley | Aug 6, 2017 |
Von den 35 Mädchen, die um die Gunst von Prinz Maxon und die Krone von Illeá kämpfen, sind mittlerweile nur noch 6 übrig. America ist eine von ihnen, und sie ist hin- und hergerissen: Gehört ihr Herz nicht immer noch ihrer großen Liebe Aspen? Aber warum hat sich dann der charmante, gefühlvolle Prinz hineingeschlichen? America muss die schwerste Entscheidung ihres Lebens treffen. Doch dann kommt es zu einem schrecklichen Vorfall, der alles ändert. Auch im zweiten Band der Selection-Reihe geht es um die ganz großen Gefühle! Kiera Cass versteht es meisterhaft, das im ersten Band vorgestellte Liebesdreieck noch ein bisschen verzwickter zu machen und die Leserinnen gemeinsam mit America hin- und her schwanken zu lassen: Maxon oder Aspen? Aspen oder Maxon? Selection Die Elite schoss bei Erscheinen in den USA direkt auf Platz 1 der New York Times Bestsellerliste! ( )
  Jules1234 | Aug 6, 2017 |
This book is the second book in the selection series. I would recommend this to people over the fifth grade because it has some cruel and awful things in it. Since this book is the second in the series you would need to read the first book to understand it.

In this book America has just been selected to be one of the Elite. America's best friend at the palace Marlee was canned because she was found with someone else. America was so angry that she from where she was sitting she ran up to try and save her friend. Although the guards stopped her before he could make it up to the stage. After that she was taken in side and had to watch the rest of it from there. Later on America got over the fact that Marlee was never coming back to the castle until one day Maxon took her up to the princess suit and inside of the suit of armor was a secret hatch and inside of that was Marlee she had been working with Carter her husband, even though they had different names. Maxon left the two girls alone together to catch up on how things were going. Also during the book Maxon takes America to a room in the castle with illegal books and lets America take on to read in her room but she can not tell anyone about it. At the end of the book America becomes enemies with King Clarckson and when she gets back to her room she and her maids start plotting how to get America to win the selection. ( )
  ellas.bg3 | May 2, 2017 |
Ruft die Dienerschaft! Die Königin ist erwacht!
The Angeles air was quiet, and for a while I laid still, listening to the sound of Maxon breathing.

"Sixteen-year-old America Singer is one of only six girls still competing in the Selection--but before she can fight to win Prince Maxon and the Illean crown, she must decide where her own heart truly lies"--

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,935,415 books! | Top bar: Always visible