Timmy Failure: Mistakes Were Made by Stephan…

Timmy Failure: Mistakes Were Made

by Stephan Pastis

Recently added byDougAnn, private library, Kenson, STRIVEPrepKepner, Awaldman, yoshibugs, librarynist
    The Complete Calvin and Hobbes by Bill Watterson (nessreader)
    nessreader: Same kind of relationship between rascal boy and his alter ego

Fast, easy, funny, upper-elementary book. Great for reluctant readers. Full of cute illustrations.

Timmy Failure (his last name) thinks he's a genius. He makes it clear that he's not a failure. But actually, he IS a failure AND a total dork. He's failing school and he's failing at his detective agency. His passion in life is to solve crimes, but he has no crime-solving ability. His unlikely partner, a polar bear, is completely unhelpful. He misses all the clues and he thinks a classmate, who he calls the Evil One, is trying to sabotage his efforts. His dorkness and cluelessness is what makes the book so hilarious and fun. Every kid will be thoroughly entertained by this series. ( )
  valorrmac | May 15, 2018 |
Eleven-year-old Timmy Failure owns his own detective agency and hilariously tries to solve crimes with his sidekick, a very large polar bear!
  mcmlsbookbutler | Mar 5, 2018 |
Timmy Failure is the founder, president, and CEO of the best detective agency in town, probably the nation (at least that what he says). Timmy is self-confident and clearly the sharpest kid at school, even if no one else sees that. This book is his documentation of the cases he solves. The author, Stephan Pastis, (also the creator of Pearls Before Swine), does an incredible job of combing witty humor with clever drawings. If taken seriously, this book could be viewed as depressing, but, if taken in the manner it was intended, humor, the book is hilarious.

What I liked: the humor is fantastic. There were many times when I (literally) laughed out loud, and the drawings were so on point with the humor. The main character, Timmy, is unique and eccentric, and the mother is fabulous. There are many jokes that, while funny for kids, are even funnier for adults. This would be a great book to read with your child.

What I didn’t like: not much. My only criticism, and it’s not a big one, is that the book seemed a bit long. Although, if you took out the drawings, it’d be fairly short, it still felt like it dragged a bit in the middle. Not enough to put it down, though.

5 out of 5 stars
  AlbaArango | Dec 7, 2017 |
Cheeky, smart-alecky fun that hides some terrific vocabulary inside. Good for fans of Diary of a Wimpy Kid, but harder/longer
  quirkylibrarian | Jun 14, 2017 |
I read this on recommendation from one of my students. Some parts are funny, but there are a few pop culture references children likely won't understand. I also kept waiting for the reveal that Timmy had ADHD or Asperger's. He's clearly intelligent and imaginative, but also VERY unfocused, academically unmotivated, and rude to his friends. I'm intrigued enough to read the next book, but I hope Timmy's interactions with his classmates aren't so negative. ( )
  EllAreBee | Sep 19, 2016 |
To my uncle George Mavredakis. Thank you for everything.

Meet Timmy Failure, the founder, president, and CEO of the best detective agency in town, probably the nation. And his lazy sidekick, Total, a 1,500-pound polar bear.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,303,264 books! | Top bar: Always visible