Timmy Failure: Mistakes Were Made by Stephan…

Timmy Failure: Mistakes Were Made (edition 2013)

by Stephan Pastis (Author), Stephan Pastis (Illustrator)

3582030,413 (3.37)6
Member:skullduggery
Title:Timmy Failure: Mistakes Were Made
Authors:Stephan Pastis (Author)
Other authors:Stephan Pastis (Illustrator)
Info:Walker (2013), Hardcover, 304 pages
Collections:Your library, Children's Lit & Picture Books
Tags:children, fiction, humour, primary school, school days, illustrated

Timmy Failure: Mistakes Were Made by Stephan Pastis

The Complete Calvin and Hobbes by Bill Watterson (nessreader)
    nessreader: Same kind of relationship between rascal boy and his alter ego

I read this on recommendation from one of my students. Some parts are funny, but there are a few pop culture references children likely won't understand. I also kept waiting for the reveal that Timmy had ADHD or Asperger's. He's clearly intelligent and imaginative, but also VERY unfocused, academically unmotivated, and rude to his friends. I'm intrigued enough to read the next book, but I hope Timmy's interactions with his classmates aren't so negative. ( )
  EllAreBee | Sep 19, 2016 |
I would have given it a two except I knew I was reading the book for my students. You see, the third and fourth grade students will love this book. It reminds me much of Diary of a Wimpy Kid books, which I do not care for but my kids do. The main character, Timmy Failure, has ADHD and a very active imagination. He applies his unique gifts to every situations and, as one might imagine, things do not turn out well as a result.

There is a small sadness in the book that I am not sure the author meant to convey. Timmy's mom is a struggling single parent. Timmy is left to his own devices, a lot, and a new boyfriend is introduced and eliminated rather quickly. Dad?? Timmy struggles in school and is oblivious to the needs of others.

I also did not go for a fourth star because of two word choices; asinine and be-jesus. My students are always asking me why authors put "bad words" in books for kids. Not all kids swear or use inappropriate phrases. It actually makes many uncomfortable and they usually return the books in case there are others. ( )
  weisser4 | May 3, 2016 |
While definitely a read for younger teens and pre-teens, some of the jokes might certainly go over their heads. Packed with puns, irony, and the stupid groan-worthy humor Stephan Pastis features in his syndicated comic "Pearls Before Swine," Timmy Failure is the world's worst (and funniest) detective. ( )
  mpelleg | Feb 15, 2016 |
In Timmy Failure mistakes were made is a funny and funky book. So he bracks his leg but can still walk on it with out cruches. He bracks his leg (the same leg) 2 times in all these books. Ie that funny or what. ( )
  RenateM5 | Feb 14, 2016 |
Witty fun that can be enjoyed by gifted and reluctant readers alike. Short chapters, a breezy pace, and those bug-eyed cartoons will inevitably appeal to "Wimpy Kid" fans. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
To my uncle George Mavredakis. Thank you for everything.

Meet Timmy Failure, the founder, president, and CEO of the best detective agency in town, probably the nation. And his lazy sidekick, Total, a 1,500-pound polar bear.

16 wanted4 pay3 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,820,424 books! | Top bar: Always visible