The Three Musketeers (abridged ∙ Puffin…

The Three Musketeers (abridged ∙ Puffin Classics)

by Alexandre Dumas, Gavin Gibbons

251545,664 (4)1

Brilliant adventure from start to finish. The Musketeers are such great characters, you can't fail to love them all. ( )
  Fluffyblue | Aug 8, 2014 |
This is the classic swashbuckling adventure story, featuring d'Artagnan and his best friends, the titular three musketeers: Athos, Porthos and Aramis. I read an abridged translation (shock! horror!) and must admit it does a good job of providing the basics of the story. There probably has been some cutting of naughtier passages, but this edition does mention people having mistresses, so it hasn't been completely bowdlerized. The writing does feel a bit too close to the French in places, but for the most part one just gets swept along with the story. The abridged edition has tempted me to read a longer translation someday. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Mar 7, 2014 |
TEST
The Three Musketeers, is not merely a adventurous, high-flung Romance with a historical setting, it is also a keen investigation into the historical milieu that Dumas has chosen as his setting. Many of the characters are historical figures (particularly the shadowy Cardinal Richelieu), and much of the book is based on historical fact. Although we are supposed to thrill at the adventures of D'Artagnan and his friends, we are also left in little doubt that there actions are often highly questionable. Though they speak in a code of honor and gentilesse, the musketeers are often philanders and cheats. They are also often violent with little cause. Despite the clear knowledge that Cardinal Richelieu is implicated in the many crimes of his agent, D'Artagnan allows him to become his patron in the final parts of the novel in order to earn his commission. The novel never compromises its ethical compass in order to fulfill a stereotypical Romantic tale. With a brilliantly constructed plot and a set of characters large enough to easily become legends, The Three Musketeers is a great adventure story for all ages. However, it is also a brilliantly researched and thought-out historical novel. Dumas doesn't attempt to plaster over the inconsistencies and corruptions of the times.
source:(http://classiclit.about.com/)
  MSzuflita | Apr 21, 2013 |
Wow. This book was way better than the movie. I can definitely see why it has gone down as a classic. Written in a quaint language and style, which serves to add to the adventure feel of the story, The Three Musketeers is an enthralling and entertaining read. The general feel of this novel is that of the fairy tales and adventure stories of childhood, yet it is interesting enough to hold the attention of an adult. Despite already knowing the general storyline, I found I was unable to tear my eyes from the pages of this book. I didn't even put it down for meals! I would love to obtain a copy of this story for my permanent collection, and I would highly recommend it to everyone. ( )
  seldombites | Aug 2, 2009 |
I read this in a space of a night the story was so exciting - I _literally_ couldn't put it down. A tad sexist, but then that's when it was written and this really doesn't affect what is basically just a great adventure story. ( )
  flissp | Jul 21, 2008 |

Alexandre Dumasprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gibbons, Gavinmain authorall editionsconfirmed
This is an abridgment; do not combine with the main work.
Adaptation. Don't combine with the real deal.

The famous swashbuckling adventure

When hot-blooded young d'Artagnan comes to Paris to seek his fortune, he finds himself challenged to a duel with not one, but three of the King's Musketeers. But Athos, Porthos and Aramis are to become his greatest friends, and companions in dangerous adventure when he becomes embroiled in the intrigues of the Court and the beautiful, evil Lady de Winter. This edition has been specially abridged for Puffin Classics.

@d’ArtsDaMAN It’s time to go off into the world and follow my secondary dream and become a Musketeer. Apparently Jedis don’t actually exist.

From Twitterature: The World's Greatest Books in Twenty Tweets or Less

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:24 -0400)

In seventeenth-century France, young D'Artagnan initially quarrels with, then befriends, three musketeers and joins them in trying to outwit the enemies of the king and queen.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,428,134 books! | Top bar: Always visible