RED by Kate Serine

Member:TheBooknerd
Title:RED
Authors:Kate Serine
Info:eKensington Originals (2012), Paperback, 374 pages
Collections:Your library, Read in 2013 (inactive), StrangeBedfellows (inactive), eBooks
Rating:*****

Red by Kate SeRine

What I love about this book : I love the use of all the characters (literary and fairy tale) I love how they have a personality and actually were placed so well into the story. I actually liked Red and Nate.

What I didn't like was the ending..In true fashion .. It sucked. I hate books that end like that even when there is a series. Decent Read horrible ending. ( )
  Angel.Carter | Aug 11, 2016 |

*Book source ~ Gifted

Tess “Red” Little lives in Chicago and works as an Enforcer for the Fairytale Management Authority. See, ever since a magic spell went wonky and fairy tale characters have been crossing over into human reality, there needs to be some kind of governing body to keep them in line. For the most part they behave themselves or the crimes are petty. But every once in a while Red is called in to track down and apprehend a murderer. When characters are being murdered in a particularly gruesome way and the suspect list contains Red’s former lovers, her boss assigns Detective Nate Grimm to help her with the case. Red works alone and she really doesn’t want the sexy mysterious Reaper riding her cloak, er coat. In the end though, Nate more than proves his worth, but will a happily ever after be attainable?

First off, I’ve been enjoying the fairy tale retellings that have been popping up lately. Some more than others, but I have to say that this one is top of the stack. The plot, world, creativeness, characters, writing and the humor are reasons aplenty to keep me reading. Red is tough yet vulnerable. She’s not perfect, but she does the best she can. She’s had a rough past and she’s a loner, but she’s smart and funny, too. Nate is just yummy. Who doesn’t love a sexy Reaper? Ok, that sounds a little looney, but hey, he’s fictional so it’s ok, right? I’m going with hell yeah! The mystery was enough to keep me guessing and did I mention the humor? I love humor sprinkled throughout a book. I’ll definitely be continuing with this series. ( )
  AVoraciousReader | May 16, 2015 |
This is a series that I have fallen in love with! It's like reading about all your childhood fairy tales all grown up! It has it's quirky fun moments, action, suspense and of course love, so there is definitely something for everyone! I can't wait to finish reading this whole series!!! I HIGHLY recommend you give it a chance. ( )
  hcollins | Aug 9, 2013 |
This is an interesting take on the world of fairy tales, who refer to themselves as Tales, intermixing with the ordinary world. Initially a few fairy tale beings somehow crossed into the Here and Now, having to learn to blend in with regular society. The society that grew up reading about these fairy tale creatures and their stories.

After the first wave of fairy tales are magically transported to the Here and Now another wave of literary characters gets transported. There appears to be no rhyme nor reason to who comes and who stays. For some it is an amazing new chance, as they since they are no longer trapped in the author's creation - they get to write their own story now, by living as they chose rather than how they were written. However for others it is disastrous; couples are torn from each other, children separated from their parents, as one group is suddenly transported to the Here and Now.

When Tess Little first heard her own story as told in the Here and Now she was shocked and disgusted at the radical difference between the reality she lived through and the watered down version told in the Here and Now. Tess had long-ago earned the nickname of Red, both here and her home world, even though she'd shed the infamous cloak years ago.

Red works as an Enforcer for the Fairytale Management Authority (FMA), along with her current partner, Nate Grimm, who just happens to be a Reaper. Their current case covers a string of murders. Murders that are in some way related to Red. At the same time all this is going on, her partner Nate reveals a shocking story to Red. And the shocks just keep on coming.

As the number of murders increase things become increasingly dangerous for Red. More dangerous than her usual cases. She is a beautiful woman with many admirers, and this seems to be causing her grief as most all her ex-boyfriends; Seth Wolf, Nicky Blue, Vlad (Dracula), and the infamous chef Caliban, are either targeted or suspects.

There is a great story arc here, with a very creative take on fairy tale characters & literary figures. Their personal stories unfold in a timely manner, one that assists the larger, overarching theme. This is a very entertaining story, enough so that I will be looking for more works by this author. ( )
  Isisunit | Jul 30, 2013 |
I quite enjoyed this. Red Riding Hood as a cop? Death wandering around being hot and solving crimes? It was a good integration of fairy tale characters in a modern world. They are all grown up and have the bitterness and cynicism to prove it! Only three stars because it got a bit rough at times (uneven characterization and suspense) and the ending wasn't all it could have been. Still, looking forward to finding out what happens in the next one! ( )
  Krumbs | Mar 31, 2013 |

"My name is Tess Little. But everyone calls me Red."

Once upon a time, a spell went awry, stranding Make Believe characters in the ordinary world. Since then, Tess "Red" Little--a/k/a Little Red Riding Hood--has worked as an Enforcer for the Chicago branch of the Fairytale Management Authority. But, consider yourself warned--she's not just some waif with a basket of goodies. All grown up and with nothing to lose, a gun and combat boots is more her style. And Red's new assignment threatens to be short on happily ever afters. . .

Someone is murdering transplanted Tales in gruesome fashion. The list of fictional characters capable of such grisly acts is short and includes more than one of Red's old flames. And if that wasn't bad enough, there's another complication, in the form of sexy, enigmatic Nate Grimm, the FMA's lead detective and part-time Reaper. Used to following her own rules and living life on the edge, Red has managed to avoid taking on a partner until now. But Nate's dark side makes him perfect for a case like this. That is, if she can trust him. Because if there's one thing Red knows for sure, it's that believing in the wrong person can have big, bad consequences. . .

Kate SeRine is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,399,384 books! | Top bar: Always visible