The Square Peg by Alexa Snow

The Square Peg

by Alexa Snow, Jane Davitt (Author)

406285,656 (4)1

4.05 STARS--Can you rate a book those many stars? Well I am so, deal with it. :P

So a non-boring accountant inherits half of a gay bar (The Square Peg) from his father and he has to share the other half with a mouthy Brit? Could be the premise of one naughty joke or pretty good book. Luckily, I found it to be the latter.

The non-boring accountant, Ben has recently been dumped for being too boring (though Ben proved amply why he was not) and the arguments he had the hotheaded Shane read like flirting. They couldn't agree on much but when it came to bedroom antics (or in their case pool table/ women's restroom antics), they spoke mighty fine. ;)

There was BDSM but not too heavy. I did feel slightly disappointed with the amount of times Ben or Shane said they would like to do something like tie Shane down and Ben would ride Shane into next week...it didn't get done. It was like good foreplay but no orgasmic finish. I was a bit put out. Don't get me wrong there was plenty of hot man sex had (nice and rough, at times) but the mention of certain games to be played and they weren't...I pouted a little.

The story on a whole is great. The buildup between Shane and Ben's inevitable relationship was slow and steady with emotional depth. The two men grow to become business partners and lovers. Me likey lots. and then crime that happens to the bar? Not expected, totally came out of left field for me. But I was happy with the ending, so I won't protest too much.

Jane Davitt & Alexa Snow? I think I'm developing a case of a girl crush on your writing...

Seriously. Between the sexy biting, possessiveness and BDSM, I just:

P.S. Thank heavens there will be a future book for Vin because the possibilities with him are endless and I want him to have a HEA too. ( )
  SheReadsALot | Jun 20, 2016 |
A gay romance reading list selection from Val for AReCafe.com. ( )
  AReCafe | May 23, 2014 |
4 stars. Another good read! (I feel like I'm on a roll!) Loved both Shane and Ben and the rough sex was hawt! (except for the face slapping, but that's just me) Really just liked it all; the remodeling of the bar, the fights/foreplay, the lust turning into love, even the secondary characters.

Speaking of secondary characters, wonder if the authors are going to write Vin's book? (I know I'd love to read it!) ( )
  vampkiss | Oct 23, 2013 |
This books has been a hard read. I enjoyed the non traditional relationship and the premise was interesting and I enjoyed the characters. But, for all that I did feel like the pacing was a little off. It was felt like the middle of the book lacked a little tension the overal story arc was a little uneven. It was the last third of the book where it really picked up for me and I found myself a little more engaged with the story and I can assure I am thoroughly looking forward to reading Vin's story. An ok read, just not great. ( )
  sharrow | Sep 21, 2013 |
Imagine that there's something about yourself, your sexuality or your personality that you do not understand. Imagine that you have never been in a relationship or had sex with someone who just GOT you.

These authors aways do such a great job in working as a team, making a book work seamlessly despite the two authors. In many ways, their working relationship must feel like a romantic partnership: one balances the other to make a complete picture.

What I liked was the realistic, honest BDSM scenes where the guys learn about themselves and each other. Their sexual relationship is organic, always growing with new limits found and surpassed. The play was not too overwhelming for me, and this story is about two men and their journey not just kinky sex at a dungeon. (Not that there is anything wrong with that) ;)

I has been afraid to try this book for awhile because of other reviews making the characters sound unsympathetic, but I found both of the men fabulously flawed.

Great book! ( )
  Bea_writer | Sep 21, 2013 |

Alexa Snowprimary authorall editionscalculated
Jane DavittAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,061,266 books! | Top bar: Always visible