Wednesdays in the Tower by Jessica Day…

Wednesdays in the Tower

by Jessica Day George

Series: Castle Glower (2)

This is a cute story in the same world as Tuesdays at the Castle. The young female protagonist is led to discover something that she doesn't quite understand at first. As her learning grows, so does what she has discovered (yes, it's alive).
The ending caught me off-guard and makes me wonder how the author is going to get herself out of this one. :-) Enjoy! ( )
  lcarter11 | Oct 23, 2017 |
This was a cute, fun read that was almost as fun as the first book and that I loved reading so much! My main complaint? Too short! Other than that, I just have to say I almost liked not knowing as much about the Castle. A lot of stuff is revealed in this book, but many things are still left to be discovered.

This book is a little like [b:The Dragon of Trelian|4926996|The Dragon of Trelian (Trelian, #1)|Michelle Knudsen|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1320451741s/4926996.jpg|4992600] (another great book). Overall? I can't wait for book 3! ( )
  Jaina_Rose | Mar 1, 2016 |
Still enjoyable, though the trigger for adventure is somewhat random (well, OK, not so random - but you don't find that out until the _next_ book). I still have no idea why the Castle wanted Rufus kept secret - the only reason seems to be to extend the first part of the story. There are various adventures here - dealing with Rufus, the question of the griffins of Castle Glower (again, there's no reason for all the items to be gathered in one room - just a trigger for the next part, and thus author fiat), and the various mysteries about the Armor Gallery, the Castle's new (and out-of-season) rooms, and Arkwright and his revelations. And it ends...in a cliffhanger, with a selection of characters in a new place with no idea what to do next. I'm very glad I had the next book immediately to hand, I'd have been very annoyed if I'd read the book when it first came out. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Dec 28, 2014 |
3.5 stars. Not quite as good as the first, but I really liked at the twists at the end. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
Sometimes I feel quite sorry for authors because either the person who wrote the summary for the front dust jacket flap/back cover or the cover artist completely spoils what was meant to be a surprise for the readers. That's what happened with Wednesdays in the Tower, the sequel that is just as delightful as the first book, Tuesdays at the Castle. We weren't supposed to find out what was in the egg in the tower that suddenly appeared in Castle Glower until the end of chapter four, but any reader who knows his/her mythological beasts has the answer before reading a single page.

It's good to see the royal family of Castle Glower again. Bran, now the official Royal Wizard, has a much bigger role than in the first book. Princess Lilah and Crown Prince Rolf's roles are smaller, but they're still around. Also still around are Pogue Perry and Prince Lulath. Both of those young men reveal facets of their personality I had not suspected, but appreciate.

We learn a great deal more about Castle Glower's origin through Princess Celie and her brothers' research. A mysterious Wizard Arkwright comes to visit. Not even Prince Lulath's friendly little lapdogs like or trust him. Is he evil? If not, what is the reason he's there? Why does he keep warning Rolf and Celie?

Rufus is a very engaging new character. (Because I've raised both puppies and kittens, I sympathize with Celie's problems. Ms. Day got that right.)
The end of the book is clearly setting us up for book three. I do hope that the author finds it easier to write than she did this book. Honestly, if I hadn't read the acknowledgments at the end, I'd never have guessed she had any problem writing it.

If you enjoyed Tuesdays at the Castle, treat yourself to Wednesdays in the Tower. If you enjoy children's fantasy and haven't read either, make it a double treat. ( )
  JalenV | Jul 8, 2014 |

Jessica Day Georgeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hohn, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mark, Donnadesigner & cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Baby Roo,
who has been my companion during
every moment of writing this book.
There are a lot of things that can hatch out of an egg.

After discovering a giant egg in the magical Castle Glower, Princess Celie agrees to care for the egg and what creature it hatches.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,563,320 books! | Top bar: Always visible