That Is Not a Good Idea! by Mo Willems

That Is Not a Good Idea!

by Mo Willems

Summary: A fox makes friends with a goose to trick her to going to his place so he can make soup out of her. Her chicks warn her that "that is not a good idea". She turns the joke on him and makes him the soup instead.
Criteria- Critique of Genre: Fantasy- Animals don't talk or plot. They don't think deeply enough verbally to convince each other to do things. They don't cook.
Age: primary, intermediate ( )
  hwestin | Mar 3, 2017 |
This is such a fun book! It leaves you guessing the whole time. I would love to read this book to my class. ( )
  Madima6781 | Nov 30, 2016 |
An updated version of[b:The Tale of Jemima Puddle-Duck|19336|The Tale of Jemima Puddle-Duck |Beatrix Potter|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1359986387s/19336.jpg|2690022] without the dog hero, but with a chorus of hatchlings full of warnings. And, it's depicted as a silent movie with cards for dialogue. Loved it.

Library copy

(Now that the Offspring are 14 and 11 they rarely ask me to read aloud (although I did get called upon to read some of [b:Leviathan|6050678|Leviathan (Leviathan, #1)|Scott Westerfeld|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1275694232s/6050678.jpg|6226342] last night, which was awesome). Nonetheless, when I bring home a stack of picture books from the library, they both read them and remark on the ones that work best or don't at all. For five stars you can assume three pairs of thumbs up. ( )
  Kaethe | Oct 16, 2016 |
A brief summary:
In the style of a silent film, this book follows the interactions between a very hungry fox and a plump goose. The fox asks the goose if she would like to go on a stroll, but the goslings do not think it is a very good idea. Slowly but surely, the fox lures the goose into his kitchen where he is making soup. The goslings continue to exclaim, "That is really really really NOT a good idea," but the story continues to unfold in a way that is sure to surprise the reader.

My personal reaction:
This is a great book that is sure to get the reader on the edge of his/her seat with excitement. I like the silent film style of the book as it adds to the suspense fo the story. This would be a great book to read aloud as a class because the anticipation that each page brings would get the students excited about what happens next.

A couple of uses:
- Use as a read aloud for class and ask students what they think will happen next throughout the reading of the book. After the book is finished, lead a discussion on why the reader is lead to believe the wolf will be the one to eat the goose. Mention how there are other stories that we read that may have contributed to how we thought the story was going to end.
- After sharing this book with the class, have students create their own books using the silent film style.

Genre:
fantasy

Media: ( )
  Lucymae | Oct 15, 2016 |
I feel like this book contributed a good surprise element, but overall I was not greatly impressed. The book did not impress me because the plot was nothing special, outside of the surprise element. ( )
  cccoch9041 | Sep 26, 2016 |

A surprising lesson about the importance of listening to one's inner gosling ensues when a very hungry fox issues a dinner invitation to a very plump goose.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,848,221 books! | Top bar: Always visible