A Man of Distinction by Sarah M. Anderson

Originally posted at http://scorchingbookreviews.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/a-nix-arc-review-man-of-disti...

Nick Longhair couldn’t get away from the Reservation quick enough. Leaving behind the poverty that he associates with his upbringing, he dreams of making it as a hot shot lawyer in the city. He left everything and everyone behind when he left, including the woman that he professed to love.

Tanya has loved Nick for as long as she could remember. When they were on the Rez together they were in separable but then he left, and seemed to forget about her. Every time he came back, she fell on the scraps of affection that he offered up to her, even when she knew he wasn’t staying. Then she fell pregnant with his child and everything changed.

Tanya never managed to tell him about his son and when he arrives two years later, a hot shot lawyer hired to help the tribe win an environmental case against a big company, all she knows is that she has to protect herself and her son from him at all costs. He is mad as hell when he realises that he has a one-year old child but he is determined that no child of his shall suffer the same poverty that he did growing up.

Tanya has more to lose now than she ever did and she’s pretty sure leopards don’t change their spots. She has to protect her son when Nick leaves, but she knows she can’t stop him from being part of his life. As Nick spends more time with the two of them, he realises how happy he really is. The only problem is convincing Tanya, which looks like a walk in the park until he uncovers evidence in his trial that threatens to destroy the foundations of their fragile family bond.

I love secret baby books. Like love, love, love them. The baby story-line in this book worked really well for me....it was the thing that kept me reading for the whole thing. Baby Edward (Bear) was the highlight for me...I loved him :)

Tanya was a fabulous heroine. A single mother with ambitions of making the life of the residents better, I loved her strength throughout this book. Her only weakness was Nick but she tried so hard not to succumb for the sake of her child. The feelings that she had about being a unfit mother because she couldn’t pay for medical care made my heart bleed. There must be thousands of women struggling with the same thoughts all over the place and I loved that th author wasn’t afraid of touching on such issues. One of the most enjoyable things about this series is the way that the author addresses the issues that minorities such as Native American’s face.

Nick was a problem for me in this book. He had a side that I loved and engaged with straight away but there was a side which I really couldn’t get into. I loved Nick as a Father. He took straight to Bear and was all smooth and lovely (a car toddler bed?? LOVE!) He has massive issues with his heritage, believing all Indians to be poor and deprived. It was sad how much he pushed against it all and I really did feel for him. I liked the Nick that hung around the Rez. My problem is Chicago Nick is a complete douche and it flawed my opinions of him. It was like he was two different people with Chicago Nick sleeping with tramps, allowing his boss to make racist slurs in front of him and lying repeatedly to Tanya. Because of Chicago Nick, I found it really hard to warm to the whole character and this did impact the story.

Overall, this was a book that left me conflicted. For the majority of the tale, I loved it. I loved the amount of chemistry that the leads had between them, I loved the happy family and I sobbed at parts near the end. If you like secret baby stories try this one and definitely try this series. ( )
  Scorchingrevs | Sep 21, 2013 |
****Won on Goodreads Firstreads****

This book was a nice, easy, read: perfect for a lazy day on the couch. It is the story of Nick Longhair, a member of the Red Creek Lakota, who left his roots behind, put himself through school and became a respected lawyer in Chicago. Fate has sent Nick back to the rez though, on a case involving the suspected pollution of the river supplying the Lakota with their drinking water. Upon his return, Nick has discovered that his first love Tanya, has had a baby while he's been away. Nick's son Bear to be exact. Bear is a year old and does not make a sound. Unfortunately this is caused by the polluted water....

Even though I found the story completely predictable, some of the reactions a little far fetched (Nick shows no real surprise or anger towards finding out he's a father) and very unoriginal (kept thinking of the similarities to Erin Brokovich) I actually enjoyed the book. Yes it had faults and but it captured my attention and kept me reading. Of course you knew it was going to have a happy ending....:) ( )
  Shawna77 | Mar 31, 2013 |
A Man of Distinction by Sarah M. Anderson
4 STARS

A Man of Distinction is hot book. Thier are a lot of sex scenes that I skimmed over.
This book has a lot of layers to it. Enviroment theme,poor medical coverage for those in need,wealth & power,possesions,poverty.
Nick Longhair is now a rich enviromental lawyer that lives in a high rise condo in
Chicago. He dates the owner's daughter. Has made it in the world. Then he gets a case that deals with a case of poisoning the water of a certain area on the reservation. He is told its your people go take care of it. Realizes is boss is predjuce.
Nick walks into the reservation office and is greeted coolly and professional by the receptionist.Tanya Rattling Blanket.
Tanya is his old girl friend they last saw each other 2 years ago. They had one more night together and then he went back home to Chicago. He does not know why she is acting like they are strangers or hurt.
Nick family was really poor when he was growing up and did not have the best care of him. Nick always talked about leaving and getting rich one day. Tanya is the one who wanted to stay on the reservation.
Tanya is now a single mother of a little boy who does not talk and hear so well. They call him bear. No one realizes and know that Nick is the father because of how small he was when born.
When Nick realized that he was the father he fell in love with Bear. Wanted to give him everything that he wanted when he was young. But first he wanted to get him into see a doctor. The one Tanya had been referred too but could not get in because of lack of money.
Nick Threw his power and money at the doctor and got in that week. With all the tests he wanted done that day. Nick knew what the law suit was claiming and he was afraid that his son might be his best evidence for proving damage. He also saw Tanya's mother
having problems too. He knew She lived in the zone that covered the lawsuit. Tanya showed no signs but she did not live in the hot zone. So he also ordered tests of her water and got her into see a doctor right away.
Nick and Tanya had a lot of issues to work out before they could have a future. The main one was not communicating in the past and keeping secrets now from each other.
I would read more books by Sarah in the future because I did enjoy reading it.
I was given this ebook to read in exchange of honest review from Netgalley.
09/03/2012 PUB Harlequin Harlequin Desire imprint 192 pages ( )
  rhonda1111 | Sep 1, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0373731973, Mass Market Paperback)

In the years he's been in Chicago, Tanya has been raising his baby, a son he didn't know…. Determined to give his child every advantage, Nick isn't about to leave again…at least not alone. But that means winning back the love of those he left behind.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:46 -0400)

He'd said goodbye to his life on the reservation without regrets. He'd asked Tanya Rattling Blanket to come with him too many times, and Nick Longhair never begs. But when business brings him back to his ancestors' land, he finally understands what he exchanged for money and power.… (more)

Sarah M. Anderson is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,053,362 books! | Top bar: Always visible