If You Want to See a Whale by Julie Fogliano

If You Want to See a Whale

by Julie Fogliano

2002158,750 (4.15)1

Use: This book would be a good think aloud for essential literacy strategies. It is a beautifully illustrated book that draws to reader in. The illustrations could be part of the think aloud. It could also be used as an interactive read aloud text.
Genre: Fiction
Media: Pencil and Crayon
  anine14 | Nov 23, 2016 |
This book tells you what to do, and what not to do if you want to see a whale. It involves a whole lot of waiting. GENRE: fiction. MEDIA: linoleum printing and pencil. USES: to teach patience, and observation
  Adrinnon | Nov 22, 2016 |
A simple and beautiful book about living life slowly and carefully, and taking the time to see the world around you. Beautiful poetic language helps to make this book a gem. Erin Stead’s wood block illustrations are fantastic. ( )
  Brad.Coulter | Jul 20, 2016 |
Nothing wrong with a quiet book. And I suppose this is perfect in that, to get through it, a child must be patient, and to see a whale, a child must be patient. But I don't know a whole lot of kids who would be able to do so. I think maybe this is aimed more at moms. And it's definitely poetry:

if you want to see a whale
you'll just have to ignore the roses
and all their pink
and all their sweet
and all their wild and their waving
because roses don't want you watching whales
or waiting for
or wondering about
things that are not pink
and things that are not sweet
and things that are not roses

Maybe it's especially for moms (doubtfully dads) who have read The Little Prince and remember the self-centered rose. Maybe even moms who have read Gertrude Stein, with a rose is a rose is a rose" and even the cadence & vibe of "pigeons on the grass alas." But mostly for moms who want to sit and breathe with their child, who want to honor patience, observation, quiet. I do wish them luck." ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
A boy and his basset hound are on a mission and this book is basically a silly little instruction manual on how and where to go looking for a whale. It isn't the most educational or engaging book, but it sure is cute.
Uses: I don't think I would use this book for anything, but I will certainly be reading it to my kids if I have some!
  meggienell | Apr 15, 2016 |
for clio rose –j.f.
for Katie, who would want to see a whale with me (or a dolphin) –e.s.
if you want to see a whale/you will need a window/and an ocean/and time for waiting/and time for looking/and time for wondering “is that a whale?”

Advises the reader about what to do, and not do, in order to successfully spot a whale, such as wrapping up in a not-too-cozy blanket, ignoring the roses, and especially, being patient.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,076,139 books! | Top bar: Always visible