The Moon and More by Sarah Dessen

The Moon and More

by Sarah Dessen

Recently added byAwaldman, Erina39, hollylovesbooks

Another lovely Sarah Dessen book. My fav is still The Truth About Forever, but this was a comfy sumnmer read. ( )
  annhepburn | Mar 4, 2018 |
So I have read many of Sarah Dessen's books before and enjoyed them all. "The Moon and More" is no exception. The novel is set in the summer, specifically the summer before Emaline, our main character (with a very cool name, I might add) goes to college. Its a pivotal summer I which Emaline ties to find herself, figure out her future, and deal with love and familial relationships. A lot for a girl to handle.

I think the reason I enjoyed reading this novel so much was the fact that I could relate with Emaline on some levels. I remember the summer before I went to college. I was excited to graduate from high school, but I was also extremely nervous about the future ahead of me. College is a huge step in my life, and like Emaline, I only knew a few people from my high school that were attending the same university, but I was the only living on campus. I, like Emaline, had to start piece together the person I wanted to be and figure out what wanted to do with my life.

One reason why I admire Desson so much and why she is one of my favorite authors is that she is very realistic when writing and creating these stories about various female protagonists. She connects with her audience really well by also writing about topics that are relatable to her readers and to what people are experiencing at that age.
  Rlmoulde | Nov 25, 2017 |
Honestly, I love most of Sarah Dessen's writing. But this one was was so freaking difficult to get through. The characters are a bit flat and the plot lines are a bit predictable... I mean its so obvious that Luke and Emmaline aren't going to last (he's a bit too perfect and she's a bit too unsatisfied). I admit, her not ending up with Theo was a bit out of the left field (and I appreciate that). What I didn't like was there way she totally vilified Theo near the end to drive her point (or what I think was her point home) ( )
  Keli_B | Oct 19, 2017 |
Why did I read The Moon and More?
It is no secret that I love books by Sarah Dessen. In the past I have compared her books to snuggling up in laundry that is still warm from the dryer, so you can tell that my love runs deep. It's been kind of awhile since her last book. Okay, only two years but those two years have felt like a lifetime to me. When I discovered this book was going to be released and it would take place in my favorite little town of Colby I was beyond excited. I tried my best to get my hands on an ARC but failed miserably. I'm also incredibly cheap and prefer to support my local library over buying random books so I ended up on the wait-list. The wait was so worth it.

What did I think of Emaline?
I really loved Emaline as a main character! What I love most about Emaline is the fact that she isn't afraid to face her challenges head on. She isn't passive-aggressive by any means which I always appreciate in a character and a person. I love too that her head isn't ever in the clouds. She seems to be very grounded and realistic. Emaline may actually be one of my favorite of Dessen's characters.

How was the romance?
This book was surprisingly not completely about the romance. It was there but it wasn't really important. I think this book was more about Emaline coming into her own and figuring out what is actually important to her for once instead of focusing her life and attention on what is important to everyone else. I think many will find that they can relate.

What was my favorite aspect of The Moon and More?
There is SO much to love about this book. Fans of Dessen will especially love reading about some familiar characters and locations. I know I certainly enjoyed that aspect.

In addition to that I think many will find this novel to be empowering. It seems that in much of Dessen's novels the girl is able to discover something about herself through a relationship with a boy. That is true in this novel as well, the difference being that in the end Emaline doesn't need those relationships or boys to succeed. She is able to figure out what is really important to her and has the ability to stand on her own two feet.

How does this compare to other Dessen novels?
I almost always have a similar complaint when I come to the end of one of Dessen's novels. I often find myself wishing that the relationships found throughout the novel were better developed so that I could better understand various aspects of the main character's life. I feel like Dessen did a fantastic job establishing the relationships found throughout this novel! I felt like I had a decent grasp on her relationship with just about every secondary character she comes into contact with. As a result Emaline feels like a real, complex person to me instead of a character I can only find within the book. ( )
  Emma_Manolis | Jun 27, 2017 |
A very slow paced read but I still really liked it. Dessen just knows how to suck me into story even though I'm not typically into ya contemporary. I have thoroughly enjoyed everything I have read by her and this one is no different. ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |

"During her last summer at home before leaving for college, Emaline begins a whirlwind romance with Theo, an assistant documentary filmmaker who is in town to make a movie."--

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,342,237 books! | Top bar: Always visible