Mojo by Tim Tharp

Mojo

by Tim Tharp

I had applied a while back for the Ambuzzador Program through RandomBuzzers, a division of Random House, not expecting anything and not even knowing what book would be coming if I was selected. So when Mojo showed up in my mailbox, I had to do some serious backtracking to figure out where it had come from.

I really had no idea what to expect when I read the book. It didn't seem like my usual kind of book, but I entered into it with a very open mind. I had a few false starts, having started reading the book when I first got it, and then setting it aside for some books with more pressing deadlines. I picked the book up again a few days ago and read through it completely. It was nothing like what I expected and yet, completely and totally blew me away.

I am giving it four stars only because there were a few scenes that are just a little too far fetched for me. I mean, realistically, what would you do if you landed in a dumpster next to a dead body? Would you be able to remain calm and stay there trying to hide from the dudes chasing you? Because let me tell you, I would have completely crapped my pants and screamed like the girl I am.

The characters, though, for the most part were believable and well rounded, fitting in with the story line well. With one notable exception. Randy really bugged me and I am not sure why. Something about him just seemed. Irritating and annoying. Maybe I have a bias against characters who serve no purpose other than to run their mouths and cause drama. Maybe that is my issue and I should not take it out on authors. But lets be honest, if we have a character in a book that bugs us, it is going to affect how we feel about the book, right? I am not alone in this, am I?

But the storyline was awesome. The rich kids versus the "wrong side of the tracks" concept? I could totally see it going down like that. Fair warning to those faint of heart, however, is that this book does get a bit violent. There is death and drugs and illegal activity, and if your sensibilities are offended by such things, you should not read this book.

Amazon bills this book as suitable for 12 and up, but I am not sure I agree with that. I would not feel comfortable recommending this one to someone under 15 unless they had a very solid maturity level and were able to clearly and securely separate fiction from reality, but that is just my "mom" point of view on that one. ( )
  destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |

destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |
Dylan wants some mojo. Every since he found Hector Maldonado's body in a dumpster, people are calling him body bag. When a rich girl from another high school goes missing, Dylan decides to use his investigative reporting skills to help find her. ( )
  lilibrarian | Aug 9, 2013 |

"A boy who feels powerless in his own life sets out to investigate the mystery of a missing high school girl in his town, who attends an elite private high school very unlike his own"--

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,169,672 books! | Top bar: Always visible