Shadowlands by Kate Brian

Title:Shadowlands
Authors:Kate Brian
Info:Disney-Hyperion (2013), Hardcover, 336 pages

Shadowlands by Kate Brian

I am so hyped after that ending! My heart is pumping.

At first, I felt like the story was going too much into the, "Oh, look at the cute boy" territory with boys with high cheekbones. I don't understand how that's supposedly hot?? But then the mystery really took me for a ride. I thought I had it by the end but it was something even more beyond my comprehension. I'm just sitting here wondering what is going to happen next and why Rory is so special. Is it the flashbacks? Is it because she's so much more aware? Shadowlands was so much better than I thought it would be. ( )
  AdrianaGarcia | Jul 10, 2018 |
An interesting, if somewhat obvious, twist at the end. Not as fun to read as Brian's Private/Privilege series, but still entertaining. ( )
  majesdane | Aug 8, 2017 |
I had received Hereafter for review though Netgalley, so I borrowed Shadowlands from a friend. As I was reading through the book, I was a ball of mixed emotions. I was horrified about this man, Steven Nell. How could they do that? Throw that kind of drama into this book when I was going to get completely emotionally raw? Totally not fair.

But the beginning felt a little slow to me. I really did not know what to expect.

Okay, let me start over. First of all, I love the name Rory for a character. You get so tired of all the names of characters being so common and seeing them over and over again. And there was a Tristan too, so as I am reading I am having major Gilmore Girls flashbacks just by watching the names. Don't worry, this is a good thing.

Something about Darcy always bothered me. She just seemed snobby, stuck up, difficult. Overall, a typical teenage cheerleader.

Then there are the boys on the island. Totally full of themselves, like they are God's gift to.. Well, you know. But oh the twist.

The plot twist in this one came as a complete surprise to me. You almost expected a twist, definitely, but I didn't expect it to come right at the very end. The plot twist is RIGHT at the FRICKING END OF THE BOOK!!! I was like, WTH????

And I totally didn't see it coming. I am so eager to see what comes next that I had to scramble my thoughts down now, so I can go start to read it this evening! ( )
  destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |

destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |
I'm giving this three stars for now because I'm still trying to process what I just read. ( )
  luminescent_bookworm | Jan 27, 2015 |

Kate Brianprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rubinate, AmyNarratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Max, ClaudiaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

"Rory, a girl in witness protection, thinks the serial killer she turned in has found her and is killing people around her. But as she investigates, she discovers a dark, disturbing truth about her new hometown"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,458,198 books! | Top bar: Always visible