The Reader by Amy Hest

The Reader

by Amy Hest

Other authors: Lauren Castillo (Illustrator)

A Story for Bear by Dennis Haseley (ASKier)
    ASKier: humans reading to animals (in nature)

A small boy and his dog climb a snow-covered hill together in this picture-book for younger children, the dog gamboling about, the boy dragging his sled. When they both reach the top they share a treat, and the boy reads his canine companion a story. Then they sled back down the hill, returning home...

I loved Lauren Castillo's ink and watercolor illustrations in The Reader, and was on board with Amy Hest's simple story of a boy and his dog having a wintry adventure, until the boy pulled out his book. Maybe it's just the fussy book-collector in me, but I couldn't help but wince at the thought of that wonderful volume - which the boy clearly loves - being ruined by the wet of the snow falling on it. As someone who loved to read as a girl, and who also loved to play outside in all weathers, I have sympathy with a character who wants to do both. But even as a very young child I knew that paper didn't do well in rain and snow. It's a minor point, and I suspect one that won't bother other readers, but for this bibliophile it was enough of a distraction that I subtracted half a star. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Feb 2, 2017 |
A very simple tale which is not simplistic. In spite of the snow it is a warm and cozy friendship book which illustrates (beautifully) the joys of being alone with a book and a pet. Easy for beginning readers and it speaks in full picturesque sentences. I love this book. ( )
  MrsLee | Dec 6, 2015 |
4 1/2 yrs -My daughter says she really likes this one. The illustrations are simple and perfect for the story. Not too wordy like a quiet fresh winter snow. Fun! ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
a sweet book about a boy and his dog on a adveture together. great watercolor illustrations, Great lap book for quiet time. ( )
  MissLoni | Dec 8, 2014 |
I loved the book, “The Reader.” I found the imagery and descriptive language in this book to be very effective and catchy as a reader. For example, when describe the snow and hot chocolate that the dog and boy are enjoying, the book says, “It is shivery-cold at the top of the world. But there are warm drinks and crunchy toast for two…The only sound in the world is sssip-crunch-crunch…” As a reader I can imagine myself in a snowstorm drinking hot chocolate with a friend. The imagery and descriptive language makes me want to be a part of the story and makes me feel as if I am a part of the pages myself. I also like how the title of book that the reader is reading in the story resembles what is going on in the story. The title of the book that the reader is reading in the story is, “Two Good Friends.” When this title comes to mind, as a reader I can relate it to the boy and dog in the story because they seem to be two best pals enjoying their time together. I also like how the story depicts the dog and the boy as going across the world although they are actually only going back home. I feel that this connects to what a reader feels when reading. When reading sometimes books brings our minds to places and ideas that are not realistic or actually true of our lives, but while reading, we feel as if the places and ideas that we are thinking of are real. The central message of this book is that reading can take our minds anywhere imaginable, and that reading helps us connect ourselves to the world and other situations or people similar to us. ( )
1 vote abreck2 | Oct 1, 2013 |

Amy Hestprimary authorall editionscalculated
Castillo, LaurenIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

In this timeless picture book, a new reader trudges through deep snow with a mysterious suitcase in tow. He has something important to share with his faithful companion, who bolts ahead to wait at the top of a tall hill. Our small hero climbs higher and higher, until finally, he is there, too. Then he opens his suitcase— click, click—and soon the only sound in the world is the sound of the reader reading their very favorite book to the very last page… the very last word.

Amy Hest’s spare evocative text is a true celebration of new readers and good friends everywhere, while Lauren Castillo’s pen-and-ink and watercolor illustrations, with their bold saturated colors against winter white, perfectly capture the wonder and delight of this magical day.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:15 -0400)

A boy and his dog hike to the top of a very tall, snowy hill where they play, enjoy a snack, and then share their favorite book before sledding home.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,748,111 books! | Top bar: Always visible