The Legacy of Lord Regret by Sam Bowring

The Legacy of Lord Regret

by Sam Bowring

This is an uncorrected proof copy, sent as a lucky dip prize from Galaxy Books.

Centuries have passed since the Wardens slew the tyrant Lord Regret, but while the Wound that he ripped in the sky remains open, the earth trembles and the sun vanishes without warning.

The great warrior Rostigan wanders Aorn, weary of battle and unwanted renown. With him travels his lover, the minstrel Tarzi, who hopes she may soon witness further deeds from him worthy of song and tale. Despite Rostigan’s reluctance to re-enter the world, she may get what she wishes for.

This was a reasonable read; and I will look out for the sequel.

When they travel to the once magnificent city of Silverstone they discover it has been wrenched out of existence. Journeying onwards, they come to learn the disturbing truth. The land has descended into chaos – for the Wardens, now craving destruction, have returned from their ancient graves and Lord Regret’s malicious legacy grows ever stronger, corrupting the very nature of reality. ( )
  Jawin | Feb 23, 2013 |
I'm going to be honest with you here: I had forgotten exactly how mesmerizing Sam Bowring's writing is. I was hooked into this story moments after I began reading! The novel is equally driven by action and its characters, executed brilliantly by Bowring in his unique style. A wonderfully spun tale of magic, camaraderie and betrayal, The Legacy of Lord Regret sets up the Strange Threads duology beautifully, and I'm eagerly awaiting the sequel, The Lord of Lies, to bring this tale to (I'm sure) its thrilling conclusion.

The novel begins with the travellers Rostigan and Tarzi discovering that a whole town has disappeared. As though it never existed! As they continue on their journey, more strange tales reach them until it is clear that the Wardens, thought long gone, have returned. Bowring gradually introduces his readers to the Wardens, from the well-intentioned Yalenna to the sadistic Forger, and through each of them we learn a little more of the past and of this new world. I enjoyed Rostigan's character the most because he seems at odds with himself: he has created an identity for himself and has almost convinced himself of its reality, but the return of the Wardens has opened up some deep wounds and he has some hard truths to face. In contrast, I didn't like Tarzi much at all - as a performer she is skilled in using her body to get what she wants (and not just in the obvious way you are thinking) and she's skilled at manipulation, and something about her just didn't sit right with me.

Moments of emotionally charged character development and heart stopping action are cleverly interspersed throughout this book, resulting in a book with few, if any, lulls. It kept me guessing, and every time I thought I had things figured out something would happen and everything changed again. One of the wonderful things about Bowring's writing style is that he doesn't under-estimate his audience - so anytime he wants you to be in the dark about something, you are truly in the dark, which keeps the suspense levels high. The plot elements tie together beautifully and I enjoyed every minute of it.

The calibre of Australian fantasy keeps improving, and Sam Bowring's latest novel is a prime example! The Legacy of Lord Regret is a must read for all fans of Fantasy, and anyone planning their first foray into the genre should consider Bowring's earlier works: The Broken Well Trilogy.

A copy of this book was provided by the publisher for review.
You can read more of my reviews at Speculating on SpecFic. ( )
  alcarinqa | Sep 1, 2012 |

The great warrior Rostigan wanders Aorn, weary of battle and unwanted renown. With him travels his lover, the minstrel Tarzi, who hopes she may soon witness further deeds from him worthy of song and tale. Despite Rostigan's reluctance to re-enter the world, she may get what she wishes for. When they travel to the once magnificent city of Silverstone they discover it has been wrenched out of existence. Journeying onwards, they come to learn the disturbing truth. The land has descended into chaos for the Wardens, now craving destruction, have returned from their ancient graves and Lord Regret s malicious legacy grows ever stronger, corrupting the very nature of reality?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,765,811 books! | Top bar: Always visible