Navigating Early by Clare Vanderpool

Navigating Early

by Clare Vanderpool

loved this. listened to audio book. narrator did so well as autistic Early. really touching story. ( )
  mfabriz | Jun 26, 2017 |
I recognize the artful writing, but personally I didn't enjoy the book. I think I wanted it to be realistic but the happenings were a little far fetched for me. I liked the way the author tied everything together. I especially liked this quote from Jack's mom, "Our stories are ll intertwined. It's just a matter of connecting the dots."
I can see this as a Newbery book, but not one students will enjoy. ( )
  jothebookgirl | Jan 3, 2017 |
If "A Prayer for Owen Meany" by John Irving and "The Odyssey" by Homer had a baby, it would be "Navigating Early".

Like Owen Meany, Early Auden is an exceptionally odd kid, who is very smart, and always seems to know things that you wouldn't expect him to. And he becomes the narrator's best friend when he heads off to a Maine boarding school for boys after his mother dies. But soon into the book, Jackie and Early leave the school to go on a quest of Early's, with Jack just tagging along much of the time. And here the similarity to Odyssey appears. The quest involves a number of strange encounters with people in the Maine woods. Some good people, some bad people, all eccentric people.

One of Early's eccentricities is that he sees stories in strings of numbers. He is convinced that the number pi tells a story, and that his brother - who died in the recently ended World War II, is still alive and has been following a similar story to the one he has concocted for Pi. And this is where I took the most issue with the book. To accept that the real life events on the quest and in Early's bother's life paralleled his adventure story interpretation of the number pi... it was just a bit too much for me to swallow.

The book wrapped up nicely, but I didn't find this one anywhere close to as good as Vanderpool's "Moon Over Manifest". ( )
  fingerpost | Sep 18, 2016 |
I think Navigating Early is good because it gets more exiting as you go and tells of an unbelievable adventure and friendship. It is a beautiful story about life and fantasy that will get people reading.
HJKnight ( )
  hjknight | Aug 21, 2016 |
This story is about two boys who are dealing with lose and loneliness. It is a story that keeps you wanting to read to the end because of the danger and suspense. The author uses metaphors between Pi a ficticious character and the search for Early's brother. I would recommend this book because it has characters who deal with lose of family and manage to fight their way through. Also Early proves that people with autism are great contributors to society.

Curriculum connection: I am including a link to curricular connections by the Random House. https://www.randomhouse.com/teachers/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/NavigatingEarly_EG_WEB.pdf
  sanm277 | Mar 21, 2016 |

Clare Vanderpoolprimary authorall editionscalculated
Campbell, CassandraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0385742096, Hardcover)

At the end of World War II, Jack Baker, a landlocked Kansas boy, is suddenly uprooted after his mother's death and placed in a boy's boarding school in Maine. There, Jack encounters Early Auden, the strangest of boys, who reads the number pi as a story and collects clippings about the sightings of a great black bear in the nearby mountains. Newcomer Jack feels lost yet can't help being drawn to Early, who won't believe what everyone accepts to be the truth about the Great Appalachian Bear, Timber Rattlesnakes, and the legendary school hero known as The Fish, who never returned from the war. When the boys find themselves unexpectedly alone at school, they embark on a quest on the Appalachian Trail in search of the great black bear. But what they are searching for is sometimes different from what they find. They will meet truly strange characters, each of whom figures into the pi story Early weaves as they travel, while discovering things they never realized about themselves and others in their lives.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:49 -0400)

"Odyssey-like adventure of two boys' incredible quest on the Appalachian Trail where they deal with pirates, buried secrets, and extraordinary encounters"--

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,934,922 books! | Top bar: Always visible