Navigating Early by Clare Vanderpool

Navigating Early (edition 2013)

by Clare Vanderpool

Member:ltcl
Title:Navigating Early
Authors:Clare Vanderpool
Info:Delacorte Books for Young Readers (2013), Hardcover, 320 pages

Navigating Early by Clare Vanderpool

This story is about two boys who are dealing with lose and loneliness. It is a story that keeps you wanting to read to the end because of the danger and suspense. The author uses metaphors between Pi a ficticious character and the search for Early's brother. I would recommend this book because it has characters who deal with lose of family and manage to fight their way through. Also Early proves that people with autism are great contributors to society.

Curriculum connection: I am including a link to curricular connections by the Random House. https://www.randomhouse.com/teachers/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/NavigatingEarly_EG_WEB.pdf
  sanm277 | Mar 21, 2016 |
This novel is infinitely better than Moon Over Manifest. The author strikes a much better balance between the two connected stories this time around. The story that dominates the book is the one that should. The beginning and ending could have used a bit of editing, but with the right motivation, kids will read this book. I hope the Newbery committee gives this book its due. (which means they probably won't) ( )
  EmilyRokicki | Feb 26, 2016 |
Wow! I am so excited to see a Printz winner that is a refreshingly clean story, yet has a big emotional impact. The story is set in America during WWII and, at first, I didn't love the story. But as it progressed, it did not take the turns that I expected it to and I found myself amazed at the unfolding of events and the beautiful ties that are brought together in the story. The author did a fabulous job! I highly recommend this for all ages, rather than just older teens as most Printz winners. ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
I loved this just as much as I loved her first one. Authors note at the end was great too. The characters were interesting and I loved watching their relationships grow and develop and how everything worked out. ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0385742096, Hardcover)

At the end of World War II, Jack Baker, a landlocked Kansas boy, is suddenly uprooted after his mother's death and placed in a boy's boarding school in Maine. There, Jack encounters Early Auden, the strangest of boys, who reads the number pi as a story and collects clippings about the sightings of a great black bear in the nearby mountains. Newcomer Jack feels lost yet can't help being drawn to Early, who won't believe what everyone accepts to be the truth about the Great Appalachian Bear, Timber Rattlesnakes, and the legendary school hero known as The Fish, who never returned from the war. When the boys find themselves unexpectedly alone at school, they embark on a quest on the Appalachian Trail in search of the great black bear. But what they are searching for is sometimes different from what they find. They will meet truly strange characters, each of whom figures into the pi story Early weaves as they travel, while discovering things they never realized about themselves and others in their lives.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:49 -0400)

"Odyssey-like adventure of two boys' incredible quest on the Appalachian Trail where they deal with pirates, buried secrets, and extraordinary encounters"--

90 wanted1 pay6 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,905,895 books! | Top bar: Always visible