Never Saw It Coming by Linwood Barclay

Never Saw It Coming (edition 2013)

by Linwood Barclay

Member:clsnyder
Title:Never Saw It Coming
Authors:Linwood Barclay
Info:
Rating:***

Never Saw It Coming by Linwood Barclay

Not one of Linwood Barclay's best books - usually you can rely on him for the slow unpeeling of character and motive, but here he abandons all that style and substance, and just goes for the manic plot option. All the characters here are equally shallow and equally horrid - with the noble exception of the dry-witted Inspector Wedmore - but goodness what a lot of plot happens to them.

At times, the speed of the story and the number of coincidences flung into the mix was sheer farce and utterly laughable, though I have to say I'm not sure the humour of the book was intended. I fear the worst ...

Anyway, the speed keeps those pages turning but I didn't much care about any of them. So something of a dud in the Barclay repertoire then. Oh well. ( )
  AnneBrooke | Feb 21, 2014 |
Short Fast Paced & Brilliant

Never Saw it Coming by Linwood Barclay is a shorter novel than you would normally expect from the master of the thriller drama, but this novella is a blast from the old days of crime and thriller writing, short and very fast paced with some great twists. This is the sort of book that if you pick it up you will want to read it in a good session enjoy and will recommend to others.

Keisha Ceylon is a scam artiste who practises as a psychic with a son and a layabout live in boyfriend who all spends her hard earned cash. One scam with a customer manages to rake in $5000 which she will have to split with Justin her customer. A week or so later she sees her next mark on TV crying about his missing wife and how she would never go anywhere without telling her family. This she sees as he big payday and maybe the breakthrough for her to move on. What she does not know is for once this mark maybe more than she can handle and from here everything spirals out of control for her.

The twists and turns are brilliant with an extra special twist at the end of the book you can really say I did not see that coming. This is a wonderful book I cannot recommend highly enough! ( )
  atticusfinch1048 | Dec 5, 2013 |
Another page turner from a master story teller. This book is full of twists and turns. Keisha Ceylon is an opportunist, a charlatan who takes advantage of people's misery and gullibility. At the beginning of the book we get some insights into how she "works". She has a bank of clients who consult her from time to time when making big decisions but every now and again opportunity knocks via media coverage of news stories about missing persons. And that is why she approaches Wendell Garfield - his wife has been missing for four days. And that's when Keisha makes a mistake that nearly costs her her life.

These books by Canadian author Linwood Barclay are very readable. They slip down so easily. NEVER SAW IT COMING is probably not as good as TRUST YOUR EYES which I gave 5.0 to, but I have no hesitation in recommending it to you. ( )
  smik | Jul 3, 2013 |
In 2011, Linwood Barclay published a novella titled Clouded Vision (Quick Reads 2011). He has revisited that original story to create this novel. The events of the previous book take up about the first third of this one, although the ending of the novella has been changed. Nevertheless, there is a strong feeling of deja vu throughout. While I almost certainly would have liked this book more had I not read its predecessor, I still believe that I would end up giving it a similar rating, because it's simply not that good.

The storyline is about a woman called Keisha Ceylon. Her mother was a con artist and she ekes her living by posing as a psychic. She makes a living by visiting the relatives of missing people and extorting money from them in exchange for invented facts about their missing relatives. When a local woman disappears, she sees an opportunity to target the anxious husband. However when she goes to visit him, he doesn't react in the way that she expected - because, she belatedly realises, he is not as innocent as she has assumed.

The story has plenty of twists along the way and it moves at a good pace. So where's the problem? Firstly, there's no one too root for. Every character who makes an appearance is more unpleasant and stupid than the previous one. Secondly, whenever problems arise, they get resolved at a rapid pace, so the suspense never really builds up. And finally, the "neat" ending is simply far too silly. The best thing about this book? It's mercifully short. ( )
  julia.flyte | Jun 23, 2013 |
I'll read anything with Linwood Barclay's name on it - he is one of my favourite suspense authors.

I loved his latest novel, Trust Your Eyes and can't wait for August's release of Tap on the Window.

But in the meantime, pick up Never Saw it Coming, to tide you over. Never Saw it Coming is a fleshed out version of a novella originally published in the UK in 2011 as Clouded Vision.

Keisha Ceylon is a psychic. Or so she says. What she really does is comb the news for missing persons reports. And then she helpfully offers her psychic services to the distraught families....for a fee of course.

Hot on the heels of a successful scam, she hears about Ellie Garfield's disappearance. Perfect. But perhaps her predictions are a little too close to the truth this time. Ellie's husband thinks so. And he doesn't like loose ends.

Never Saw it Coming does read like a short story with lots of rapid twists and turns. Barclay is a master manipulator and takes the narrative in oft changing directions. And finishes up with an ending I didn't predict. Those looking for great character development and intricate plotting won't find it with this offering. But if you're looking for a fast paced read to keep you turning pages for an evening, this is definitely for you. Currently #2 on the Globe's Canadian Fiction Bestseller list

If you haven't, by any wild chance, read Linwood Barclay yet, this is a great introduction to his style of writing. This fan is now anxiously waiting for August..... ( )
  Twink | Jun 11, 2013 |
For Neetha
"This is ridiculous," Marcia Taggart said.

Keisha Ceylon is a psychic. At least, that's what she tells people. She watches the news for stories of missing people, then waits a few days and goes to see the family. She tells them she.s had a vision and that she may know where their missing loved one is.for a price, of course.… (more)

41 wanted4 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,412,169 books! | Top bar: Always visible