Never Saw It Coming by Linwood Barclay

Never Saw It Coming (edition 2013)

by Linwood Barclay

12010100,400 (3.26)10
Member:clsnyder
Title:Never Saw It Coming
Authors:Linwood Barclay
Info:Orion (2013), Paperback
Rating:***

Never Saw It Coming by Linwood Barclay

Warning: This review contains spoilers.

****

There are psychics, and then there are those who claim to be psychics in order to part people from their money. Keisha Ceylon is one of the latter. Her specialty is raising the hopes of those whose friends or relatives have gone missing, and it's nothing fancy -- very often, her marks provide all the clues she needs to give them reassurance without actually being psychic. However, this time, her "visions" are a bit too close to the truth, and she never saw it coming.

This was much better than I was anticipating. Normally Barclay writes large, chunky thrillers that still go by quickly. This one originally began as a novella entitled Clouded Vision, and I wasn't sure how much story there could be. But it was lean in a good way, not a wasted scene, and minimal backstory or infodumping. There was also maximum shock value from very few shocking scenes. For me, the scene with the knitting needle in the eye nearly made me pass out in public.

A female protagonist was a nice change as well from Barclay's mostly male protagonists---not that they're bad males, but it is good to see a female in the lead for once. I also like how all the characters in his thrillers live in the same universe, even if this isn't part of a "series": fans will recognize Terry Archer from No Time for Goodbye and a mention of Glen Garber from The Accident, and of course Rona Wedmore is still the police detective. Prior knowledge of No Time for Goodbye is not really a requirement, and there aren't any spoilers, but it does add a little something if you're in the loop.

I would perhaps recommend this if you're looking for a short entrée into the world of Linwood Barclay's thrillers. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Jan 27, 2016 |
Usually I am a fan, but this is not one of author's best, I am afraid. ( )
  krv64 | Dec 21, 2015 |
Another reworked earlier piece; first Harlan Coben and now his clone. It reads rather as if the idea has been plugged into a novel writing app and the "compose" button pressed.
I must make sure I do not fall for the re-hash trick again! ( )
  johnwbeha | Nov 18, 2015 |
Not one of Linwood Barclay's best books - usually you can rely on him for the slow unpeeling of character and motive, but here he abandons all that style and substance, and just goes for the manic plot option. All the characters here are equally shallow and equally horrid - with the noble exception of the dry-witted Inspector Wedmore - but goodness what a lot of plot happens to them.

At times, the speed of the story and the number of coincidences flung into the mix was sheer farce and utterly laughable, though I have to say I'm not sure the humour of the book was intended. I fear the worst ...

Anyway, the speed keeps those pages turning but I didn't much care about any of them. So something of a dud in the Barclay repertoire then. Oh well. ( )
  AnneBrooke | Feb 21, 2014 |
Short Fast Paced & Brilliant

Never Saw it Coming by Linwood Barclay is a shorter novel than you would normally expect from the master of the thriller drama, but this novella is a blast from the old days of crime and thriller writing, short and very fast paced with some great twists. This is the sort of book that if you pick it up you will want to read it in a good session enjoy and will recommend to others.

Keisha Ceylon is a scam artiste who practises as a psychic with a son and a layabout live in boyfriend who all spends her hard earned cash. One scam with a customer manages to rake in $5000 which she will have to split with Justin her customer. A week or so later she sees her next mark on TV crying about his missing wife and how she would never go anywhere without telling her family. This she sees as he big payday and maybe the breakthrough for her to move on. What she does not know is for once this mark maybe more than she can handle and from here everything spirals out of control for her.

The twists and turns are brilliant with an extra special twist at the end of the book you can really say I did not see that coming. This is a wonderful book I cannot recommend highly enough! ( )
  atticusfinch1048 | Dec 5, 2013 |
For Neetha
"This is ridiculous," Marcia Taggart said.

Keisha Ceylon is a psychic. At least, that's what she tells people. She watches the news for stories of missing people, then waits a few days and goes to see the family. She tells them she.s had a vision and that she may know where their missing loved one is.for a price, of course.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,052,622 books! | Top bar: Always visible