ASBO by Iain Rob Wright
fiction (1) gangs (1) lendable (1) suspense (1) thriller (1) to-read (6) violence (1) W (1)

When the title claimed 'a novel of extreme terror', I was expecting to be terrified, and I was!
Wright has such a way of describing characters that they seem to come to life on the pages of my kindle! The way that the bullies act in this book is truly terrifying. ( )
  claireh18 | Jul 10, 2013 |
Just think about it...how often have you flipped off somebody for cutting you off while driving or spewing insults at you from the next car over? Life goes on, right? Well, one day, you may not be so lucky - the young teenager you insulted might be a psychopath...he will get you back. The newspapers today are filled with stories about people going off the deep end...we soon learn they have a mental condition and haven't been taking their medicines. Who suffers then? Of course, the recipient of those actions. I know, this has nothing to do with "ASBO...", but after reading the story, a person may want to reconsider taking action the next time somebody pisses you off.

In "ASBO: A Novel of Extreme Terror", Andrew and his family are targeted by a group of young thugs who are led by a psychological disturbed teenager, who is recently released from a youth prison. At first, it is just mischievous conduct and the police are unable to help. So Andrew takes the law into his own hands and tries to put a stop to it all by visiting with the leader's mother. This further enrages the gang and they take it up to a whole new level. When confronted, most men usually display bravado and will try to fight back. However, in this case, Andrew is beaten, restrained and forced to watch as gang members torture his family for the fun of it. He feels impotent and helpless, his inner rage building. Then finally realizing that this will not end until they are all dead - he takes a deadly risk - the consequences enormous. You'll have to read the story to see who lives and who dies.

The author is British and penned the story using common jargon from that country. I didn't find it distracting except for one word "innit" - still haven't figured out what it means. "ASBO..." does not let you go and continues pulling on your emotions. I'm quite certain that all readers will find the story difficult to put down and will stay up late in the night just to see what happens next. I've read the authors first novel, "Final Winter" and loved it as well - I recommend both of them. Great job Mr. Wright! Keep them coming!

John Podlaski, author
Cherries - A Vietnam War Novel ( )
  JPodlaski | Jun 22, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,744,172 books! | Top bar: Always visible