Pointless Pursuit: My Year of Picaresque…

Pointless Pursuit: My Year of Picaresque Personal Ads

by C. W. Shain

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Good fun, if a little on the obscure side, C.W. Shain's Pointless Pursuit: My Year of Picaresque Personal Ads is an entertaining collection of actual personal ads the author placed on Craigslist. Easy to read in snippets during the morning commute on the train, it's not really the type of book you'd devour in one go. ( )
  SherNor | Jun 22, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The author has had quite the experiences with real life personal ads. This book is a collection of personal ads she has posted in a variety of different cities on the Craigslist site. Her witty humor may fall short of the understanding of many readers in their early to mid 20's. Many references in the ads are indicative of the authors age. The pages of this book are full of good laughs. It is even better to think of the men that actually responded to these sarcastic and ridiculously funny ads. I recommend this book to audiences that have had experiences with dating sites and personal ads and those who just need a good laugh. ( )
  katie.schueths | Apr 12, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Pointless Pursuit is a collection of nonsensical personal ads that author C.W. Shain posted on Craigslist over the course of a year. What started out as retaliation against people being cruel to one Craigslist poster’s ad turned into one writer’s way to entertain, amuse, and downright mess with readers. I personally did not enjoy this book, as I do not have the best sense of humor and take things too literally; most of the ads were over my head. But the book is well written and C.W. Shain is talented. I would definitely recommend this book and encourage people to give it a shot. ( )
  jurai2 | Feb 25, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Pointless Pursuit, “an act of petty revenge, a way to reclaim [his] own domain” launched Shain on a year long mission to offer up “byzantine, ridiculously obscure, slapstick” ladles full of laughter and distraction to the readers of personals on Craigslist Boston, and later Craigslist New York.

This collection of absurdist semi-weekly meditations (34 are collected in the book) will delight the reader who enjoys reading and savoring one entry every few days or once a week but prefers confections more than platitudes. Think of it as Weekly Meditations for Absurdists Who Can’t Get Enough. I would not recommend you try to read it in one go, unless you are in serious need of lighthearted, erudite silliness. Pointless Pursuit sustains our scrutiny best when it doesn’t spend too long under our gaze; it is best experienced as a series of fleeting meetings. Catch a flash of red out of the corner of your eye, listen to snatch of children calling come out of an open door as you pass by, exchange a brief hello with a stranger on the bus but do not hold on too tightly. Enjoy it is in quick, brief bursts.

We meet people who are as “handy in the kitchen as Sylvia Plath,” (Ad 6) who love “battleship” but “always will cheat.” (Ad 7). People in search of someone or something; “for a dashing impresario, one capable of breadth and a display of vivid talents, such as gene splicing” (Ad 27) or “looking for a dog but open to a relationship” (Ad 12). The titles also are ornate absurdities. “Seoul City Sue left Montavani broken hearted” (Ad 20) and “Baroness needs help finding her Blitz spot” (Ad 5) and “Lillian Hellman was a habitue of my water closet” are a few of the ones that I liked.

True to forward promises, Shain’s personals are chocked full of obscure references and overdone sentences. As my faithful and faithless followers know, overdone can be done just right. While I would not say that Shain’s overdone is always well done, it gets the job done more often than it leaves it undone. He does provide a helpful index and set of endnotes to help readers who are determined to puzzle out the “real” meaning of these personals.

There are times when his joy in trivia may trivialize the meaning of a particular bit of history. Knowing that Plath ended her life by sticking her head in an oven, I found “handy in the kitchen as Sylvia Plath” a bit too flip. I am not opposed to a bit of flip about a serious subject, but too much flip can flop. What works for a fan who scans the personals for a bit of fun may not work for the careful reader who has not been one of Shain’s weekly followers.

The book blurb on Smashwords claims it to be “genre-breaking.” I have to quibble. The tone and style owes more to a well entrenched tradition of playful, absurdist “postmodern” writers than the blurb author may realize. (See Donald Barthelme's “The first thing the baby did wrong” as an example). But I feel we can excuse any authorial excess in a blurb meant to help promote this small offering of art. $2.99 really is a small price for a tasty bit of art confection.

The book is a set of what I would qualify as performances that were staged on Craigslist. This is what I find most interesting about them, not as personals all collected together in one book, though its collection in a book that allowed me the opportunity to think about Shain’s performance project, but what it means to use a venue like Craigslist to stage episodic work that speaks to a particular audience.

Shain wrote these personals from the perspective of men and women. But oddly, everyone speaks in the same voice, regardless of gender, regardless of life experience, regardless of education, regardless of native language. Shain missed out on an opportunity to explore different characters. His schtick of the clever absurdities full of obscure references overwhelmed some of the glorious creative possibilities available to him. If Shain were ever to re-stage this project, I would challenge him to differentiate his characters more; to allow himself to play with the language more by shifting the tone, the vocabulary and the cadence of each personal.

I would have enjoyed the book more if it collected not only the personals but also some of people’s responses, positive and negative. Shain discusses some the audience response in the Preface, but I would have liked to read a few of the emails that spurred him on, that begged him to keep on writing. I would like to have read a few of the complaints and the notice that he was banishment from Craigslist Boston because of the work of unappreciative ad-flaggers. The richness of this project is the place it was performed and the people for whom it was performed. As a lover of performance, I wanted more of that place, I wanted more of those people.

For lovers of trivia, for lovers of silliness with just a touch of serious longing, Pointless Pursuit is not pointless. You will enjoy these characters’ search for that special someone, for that special something. Pointless Pursuit does stumble a bit, but looking closely at what trips it up is well worth the time of those deeply interested in creating performance work on unconventional stages for specific audiences.

[For those interested, I link to my longer version of this review written in the voice of a specific character for a specific online audience. http://www.bishopbishop.com/dailydose/?p=682] ( )
  crookedletter | Feb 6, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is witty. The language is dense, like a good personal ad. It's best read in short sessions, in small doses. It's like the TV series Gilmore Girls in its plethora of references, historical and literary and cultural and other. If you are a trivia buff you will enjoy puzzling them out. ( )
  jaelquinn | Dec 10, 2012 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

C. W. Shain's book Pointless Pursuit: My Year of Picaresque Personal Ads was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

C. W. Shain is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,990,668 books! | Top bar: Always visible