Deadbeat by Amy Sparling

Deadbeat

by Amy Sparling

92950,433 (4)None

An interesting book about a teenage pregnancy from the guy's point of view. It was very easy to get caught up in the drama of balancing such a major life change with the trivial day-to-day happenings in high school. I think the emotions involved with such a decision at a critical time when your emotions are bouncing around so drastically was really well done here. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
Assuming this would be in a female POV, I was surprised to find it was in Jeremy, the 'deadbeat' dad's voice. I loved the romance between Elisa and Jeremy. Until she discovers she's pregnant. I think most females wonder what makes some males feel like they have no resposibility or why they wouldn't want to take resposibility. In Jeremy's point of view, I found myself peeved at him. Yes, he's young, but so is Elisa. But then we see how Jeremy's dad reacts and his solution to the pregnancy. A lot of his actions reflect on Jeremy and one can only imagine how a grown man could create such bitterness in his son.

Elisa is fortunate to have a fairly stable support system. She endured a lot and I imagine it would be lonely without the support of the father.

I was greatly surprised by the way Jeremy reacted toward the end of the story. I only wish there were more to it. I'll leave it at that so I don't throw out any spoilers.

A favorite quote: "Surrounded by the beauty of nature, it feels like we're both nowhere and everywhere at once."

If you're looking for a good read with a different lead, Deadbeat is definitely worth it. ( )
  Lifeisfiction | Aug 12, 2012 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,372,775 books! | Top bar: Always visible