Moving On by H.J. Holt

Moving On

by H.J. Holt

An emotional tale about a young man trying to moving on an abusive relationship; considering the theme, angst was an expected factor, but I was pleasantly surprise to find out that it wasn’t the main one. Too often the authors push on the easy tears button to make a story dig on your emotional barriers, and sometime it gets old. Here there was just that touch of drama, enough to justify the changing life decisions of Luke, but not so much to destroy him. Actually, the drama he is running away back home, and that comes back to tag him in Bristol, to me could have even stayed there, a memento of something bad that shouldn’t happen again, but it wasn’t really necessary for it to reappear in current time.

When 22 years old Luke meets 36 years old Paul, it’s obvious they are from different side of life, and it’s not only a question of age; while not rich, Paul is a teacher, with a steady job and a not wanted inheritance from his late partner. He is good from a quality life point of view, not so much when you talk about feelings. Paul wasn’t expecting to be alone at mid-thirties, he had figured he was to grow old with his partner in a contented and fulfilling relationship, without much bumps but good. Luke recognizes in him a companion loneliness, and he approaches Paul at a club. At first both Paul and Luke consider it a no strings attached night, but the sex is good, good enough they want to see where it will lead.

While Paul and his friends notice the age difference, and other differences as well, I have never felt like it mattered to Luke. Luke is more worried about his lack of formal instruction, or social status, than the fact he is so much younger than Paul. And there wasn’t either the common theme of the Daddy/boy pairing, it’s obvious that Paul is older than Luke, but Luke isn’t looking for a substitute fatherly figure. Maybe Paul’s work as a teacher will help him understanding Luke and pushing him towards the right steps without forcing him.

elisa.rolle | Feb 3, 2014 |
2.5 stars. I actually started this a few weeks ago and put it down. Picked it back up again today and plodded through. I can't put my finger on what it was, but it was a bit...slow. I mean, by the blurb you think the ex will be a huge deal but there's a brief confrontation and then he's gone? And while the sex was hot, there was so much of it! Plus, what kind of partner lets his 'friend' put down his man and doesn't even say anything about it?

Despite what I wrote, I didn't hate it. The writing wasn't bad, I think I was just expecting more. ( )
  vampkiss | Oct 23, 2013 |
You can tell by my comments as I read the book that there was a lot of sex. I don't mind reading a hot book but when there's more sex than plot that's not good. Here are some problems I had specifically:

1. Psycho boyfriend: yeah, yeah, you have an abusive boyfriend. Been there done that, show me something new. Make your version of this something interesting.

2. Boyfriend is stalker: Holy crap the boyfriend came to England? If this dude flies all the way over to England there's no way he just says "oh, okay you don't like me, bye!" That storyline just insults readers.

3. Too much sex: Hard to believe but I have to agree with others, way too much sex. And it was all the same type sex, I did not see any loving sex.

4. Stereo typical friends: We had to have the friend that of course hates our young stud. And yet are other hero does nothing to stop him from insulting him. This is only a superficial excuse to have tension in the story without actually having any additional plot.

Bottom-line it was an interesting story and it could've been much more complex than what we got. I'll probably check out the author's other books but hopefully it's not as stereotypical as this. ( )
  Bea_writer | Sep 21, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,449,718 books! | Top bar: Always visible