Persephone (Daughters of Zeus) by Kaitlin…

Persephone (Daughters of Zeus)

by Kaitlin Bevis

8320145,226 (4.39)None

ARC provided via NetGalley for an honest review.

I really enjoy Greek mythology. (Why else would I read this book, then?!) I also probably have a little more history in it than some, having studied it some. So reading fiction and discovering new twists on mythology while keeping the general facts accurate fascinate me.

I see a lot of references to The Goddess Test series. While it definitely is there, I also see some distinguishing factors, including the priestesses, which was ingenious. I also like the humor within book, including the quick reference "Herc and not returning Hades' dog." I loved the inclusion of Helen of Troy and Cassandra.

This book, again, is a reference, to a more kinder Hades, but it does show a few glimpses of an ability to be cruel or dark. I loved that combination, what type of leader of the Underworld wouldn't be a bit dark?! The creativity of the "punishments" clearly were deliciously devious. The confrontation between Boreas and Persephone came to an interesting conclusion. Not sure how I felt about it, inevitable, possibly, but still unsure.

Overall, it was an easy, fun read. I enjoyed reading the preview of the next book, which I eagerly wait for and will definitely read.
  Krista_Rainwater | Sep 10, 2016 |
Review Originally Posted At: FictionForesight

In accordance with current FTC Guidelines, please let it be known this book was received through NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Review:

I have always had a taste for Greek mythology, so when the opportunity arose for me to read a book based on it, I was excited!

Persephone was a fantastic new twist on many great classic Greek myths, but it specifically focused on that of the myth of Hades and Persephone (of course). Persephone is not a known Greek goddess in this story, she is just a normal teenager who is seen as different by other people her age. Until one day when another Greek god comes to abduct Persephone. Her whole life is tuned upside down when she learns of her connection to the gods. She must flee to the only safe place for her, which is the Underworld ruled by Hades. Will Hades be the protector she hopes for? Or will the Underworld become her prison?

The Good:

Well just about everything was pretty solid. I found the characters relatable, the melding of new and old myths was surprisingly superb, and the story was detailed enough without bogging me down with unnecessary descriptions. Having the setting in the current time period worked out nicely (which lately I have found is not usually the case), and even allowed for some comedic relief a few times in the story.

The Bad:

The ending of the book left a bit of the story unresolved. But honestly, that’s just me grasping at straws to find something, anything, bad to say about this book. Quite frankly, if this is the worst I can come up with, we’re looking at a pretty great read.

Overall:

Persephone was just one of those books you’ll love reading. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who loves the mythology genre, especially when blended with the easy readability that “young adult” brings to the table. I greatly enjoyed this book and I’m sure I will continue with the rest of the series. I’ll be sure to keep you all updated!

(www.FictionForesight.com) ( )
  FictionForesight | Apr 26, 2016 |
I've always been a huge fan of mythology, and have spent many years studying Greek and Roman mythology, in particular. I love learning about "the gods" and their stories, personalities, and powers. To read a contemporary adventure, with all these mythical beings as main characters? I couldn't ask for a better story!

Persephone has always been one of my favorite goddesses. Reading this book, seeing her story played out in our time, through her eyes, is completely fascinating. It's wonderful to have Hades as a main character as well. I've always loved reading stories about him, and seeing him depicted the way he is in this book, is truly refreshing- no flaming hair or pointy teeth!

Kaitlin Bevis has come up with a very clever way of mixing these ancient myths into our modern world, never losing the mysterious and supernatural qualities that make the mythological deities mesmerizing. This is a book I know will be at the top of my "fav mythology books" list for quite a while. I'm excited to read the sequel, and see what happens with the incredibly exciting story.

*I was given an eCopy of this book, from the author, to read in exchange for an honest review.

Be sure to check out my blog post for this book! Includes a dream cast, character bios, excerpts, an author interview, and for a limited time, a giveaway!! Check it out here: http://desertrosereviews.blogspot.com/2013/11/daughters-of-zeus-trilogy-reviews.... ( )
  Rose.Wallin | Jan 20, 2016 |

Rose.Wallin | Jan 20, 2016 |
I got this book through NetGalley to review. This is the first book in the Daughters of Zeus trilogy. It was a fun and light young adult paranormal fantasy read with a lot of mythology in it. This is basically a retelling of the Persephone mythos.

Persephone is just a normal teenage girl who goes to high school and works at her mother’s flower shop. That is until one day she finds herself fighting off an attack from Boreas, the God of Winter. She survives the attack but ends up forced to seek shelter down in the Underworld with Hades. Suddenly Persephone is immersed in a world she never knew existed, she finds out she is a rare Daughter of Zeus and that her mother and history are nothing like what she thought it was.

This was a good young adult paranormal read with a lot of Greek mythology in it. I always enjoy reading stories that are based around some mythology. There’s nothing super spectacular about the story but it was an easy and fun read that I ended up enjoying.

Persephone is a pretty typical YA heroine. She’s got a caring side that is nurtured by her spring-like Goddess abilities, but she also has a bit of a dark side that allows her to relate to Hades. She was a fine heroine and I found her engaging, but she wasn’t all the different from a million other YA heroines out there.

Hades was a bit more interesting but I was hoping for a more edgy character. He has a whole love at first sight thing going on with Persephone but refuses to act on it because of the age difference between him and Persephone. Him and Persephone have some good chemistry going on, however I was never completely engaged in them as a couple...so I think the relationship and tension between the two could have been done better.

I really did enjoy all the mythology in here and how the Underworld was built and reimaged. I think this was the strongest part of the book. Bevis has done an excellent job creating an Underworld that is interesting, creative, and believable.

Overall this was a fun YA paranormal read. There isn’t anything spectacular about the book, but there isn’t anything that’s really poorly done either. I ended up finding it to be an entertaining and engaging read. I really enjoyed how the Underworld portrayed but I do wish our characters were a bit less vanilla and weren’t so typical of YA paranormal stories. I do plan on reading the next book in the series because I love reading about mythology and think this series is an interesting spin on mythology. I would recommend to those who enjoy YA paranormal stories and mythology. ( )
  krau0098 | Jul 17, 2015 |

The "talk" was bad enough, but how many teens get told that they're a goddess? When her mom tells her, Persephone is sure her mother has lost her mind. It isn't until Boreas, the god of winter, tries to abduct her that she realizes her mother was telling the truth. Hades rescues her, and in order to safely bring Persephone to the Underworld he marks her as his bride. But Boreas will stop at nothing to get Persephone. Despite her growing feelings for Hades, Persephone wants to return to the living realm. Persephone must find a way to defeat Boreas and reclaim her life.… (more)

Kaitlin Bevis is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,160,401 books! | Top bar: Always visible