Hot Blooded by Amanda Carlson

Hot Blooded

by Amanda Carlson

The old adage of 'it doesn't rain but pours' holds true for Jessica McClain.

Hot Blooded takes you on a fast action adventure, where the main character doesn't fully grasp of what's in play.

We also get told that there is a prophecy is in play around Jessica and the very little we do know, we find out more when Jessica does. ( )
  DaffiMere | Aug 8, 2017 |
It was good, just not as good as book 1. I think it was cos of the storyline. They spent it looking for Roarke most of the time and well...even if things happened, not so much happened. I guess I wanted another kind scenery.

But Jessica is still cool and kick-ass. Though I must say that with all these new powers she is in danger of going very Mary Sue. But I do wonder about the prophecy.

We did not see her mate a lot :/

Her brother and Danny are nice. I might even like Roy soon. Naomi was cool too.

The evil goddess was evil, just a bit cliche'. Get over it woman.

Good is good, I just hope book 3 is back to being book 1 good. ( )
  blodeuedd | Mar 2, 2016 |
I am really enjoying this new name in urban fantasy genre. Amanda Carlson proved that she can write decisive, interesting, fully capable of badassery characters; create a wonderfully complex world-building and end her books with a big bang. And I LOVE that. This is what encompasses UF genre for me!

Hot Blooded might be even better than Full Blooded. The whole book is about Jessica and her companions on the move to get Rourke from a really crazy, sadistic Goddess, Selena. Again, Rourke is in Jessica thoughts but he doesn't domineer the plot. Even when they are back together, there is no moochiness I so dislike in instant love/perfect mate shifter relationship. It's all go, go, go, act now, love later as it's only appropriate in the situation.

There is also a deep, lovely connection between Jessica and her brother, Tyler, interesting developments with a couple of vamps who help them on their journey, Eamonn and Naomi, and ever so amusing snarkiness of human police detective, Roy.

Roy, I am rooting for you! Don't you dare disappear in the next book! I fully expect you to play an important role in this series :)

Overall, it's an excellent, action packed urban fantasy, reminiscent of Rachel Vincent and Caitlin Kittredge's writing, so if you loved both of these authors, I suggest you don't miss out on Amanda Carlson!

kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
One shall walk again, above all others she is born;
Within her the beast shall lie, well hidden in True Form;
And from this day forth, the Children of the Night shall pay;
By her supreme rule, her righteous hand will slay,
Justice to all, as none are her equal;
The True Lycan will vanquish all evil.

Not only is Jessica the only female werewolf, it has been prophesied that she will dispense justice amongst the supernaturals. First however, Jessica must find her mate who has been kidnapped. The journey will test her new skills more than she could ever imagine.

There really isn't much character development in this second installment of the Jessica McClain series. We do however get introduced to two new vampires, as well as learn some of the abilities and limitations of vampirism. The world is also enlarged by whole slew of new supes.

That being said, I don't feel like the story really progressed at all. Hot Blooded is essentially one large fight scene which if you like that sort of thing, will be right up your ally. Jessica and her small pack challenge various supernatural creatures; however, this lacked any kind of real suspense from the beginning because it was clear that while the situations themselves were dangerous, no one was really in any kind of mortal danger. It quickly became rote that whenever Jessica faced a new monster, she would pull out some super special Lycan power to defeat it.

As part of her role as protagonist of this series, Jessica also served as the moral center. Because her supernatural ability is extremely new, Jessica very much affirmed the importance of life, making her unwilling to kill because of convenience. It will be interesting to see if she can hold onto that as the challenges she faces get tougher and tougher.

One of the things I really liked about Hot Blooded is that it was a mission for Jessica to save her man. Far too often, it's the female love interest who gets kidnapped and is in need of saving. Hot Blooded completely subverts that trope. I was however irked by the male characters insistence in continually trying to protect Jessica though she showed that she was capable time and time again and even saved their lives on multiple occasions. Whenever a dangerous situation occurred, some character with the penis would jump forward to try and lead the charge.

With the introduction of Naomi, I hope that Jessica will develop a real female friendship. Thus far, we have seen her interact with Marcy and unfortunately Juanita, who is clearly the comic relief. Carlson has written the typical patriarchal werewolf society, therefore causing Jessica to look outside of the pack for female friends. I hope that as Jessica's relationship with Naomi develops and she finds Marcy that things on this front will improve. Having the super special protagonist who is isolated and or surrounded solely by men, lessens the gender subversion of things like Jessica saving Rourke.

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | May 20, 2015 |
I waited for this book for a long time, looking forward to see if Jessica will be available to rescue her mate (ultra sexy, powerful, etc) Rourke, if she could defeat the evil Selena, and most of all to learn who or what Jessica truly is.

Hot Blooded starts with a lot of things, everything seems to be falling at the same time on top of Jessica and her loved ones, it creates a lot of expectations, conflicts and so many other things!

We see old characters growing and adapting with all the changes Jessica is experiencing, and doing their best to keep her safe, especially Tyler and Danny, but there are so many new enemies coming in, all wanting to kill her and be done with her that at times it seems to be impossible for them to keep her safe.

It seems that the news of her transformation spread rather quickly, and the many different versions of the prophecy just make matters worse. Mrs. Carlson gives us plenty of options for us to create our own hypothesis about it.
We get a little glimpse of what her destiny might be, but at the end it could all be speculations on our part.

There are a lot of parts in which Jessica has to face difficult "obstacles" and I believe this was just to let us know who and what she really is, but at times it made me say "I know, she is badass...but come on! Lets keep on moving".
There are a few unforeseen surprises; things that thanks to Jessica’s new found powers will definitely rock the supernatural world. Jessica also finds allies in the most unexpected places; allies that will help her but at the same time will complicate even more Jessica’s relationship with the supernatural world. Some characters take rolls that you don't expect and at the end you won't know what to think with some transformations that happened in this book, I won’t say more not to give spoilers away.

Hot Blooded’s end left me with mixed emotions and more questions than answers.
Hot Blooded was an easy read, just like Full Blooded, and I have to admit that after getting over the WTF feeling it left me with, I am back in the same place, looking forward to next book, Cold Blooded.

I give Hot Blooded four paws, only, because at times it was a bit too much of badass on Jessica's part, there were more questions open and not many expected results. One of my complaints is that after everything Jessica has to do for her mate.... Well we don't get anything beyond a kiss; I wish we had seen a little bit more development in their relationship.

I'm not sure how Mrs. Carlson is going to approach so many things that were left open in this book, but I will be counting the days till October 8th to read third book in the series, Cold Blooded. I can’t wait to see what the Vampire Queen has planned for Jessica.

Review by Juanita ( )
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |

It hasn't been the best week for Jessica McClain.

Her mate has been kidnapped by a Goddess hell-bent on revenge --- but Jessica is playing for keeps.

All in a day's work for a girl.

"It hasn't been the best week for Jessica McClain. Her mate has been kidnapped by a Goddess hell-bent on revenge -- but Jessica is playing for keeps. Because she's the only female werewolf in town...it comes with its own set of rules...and powers. Aided by two vamps, two loyal Pack members, and one very reluctant human, Jessica must rescue her man while coming to terms with what being a wolf really means. All in a day's work for a girl. The second novel in the Jessica McClain series is a full on action adventure featuring one angry Goddess and plenty of monsters, demons, and a few newly risen beasties.."--… (more)

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,066,506 books! | Top bar: Always visible