Winger by Andrew Smith

Winger

by Andrew Smith

Series: Winger (1)

Recently added bycoffeestained_pages, Rena37, private library, juliemac19, KatCarson, renegadelibraries

ok. ok oh my god. so i'm cruising along this book and it's fucking hilarious see, i usually don't really laugh out loud but i definitely did. and i was like wow! this is a really good book about a boarding school!

i mean, god, the characters were so full of life. ryan dean was hilarious. totally 14-year-old boy, but hilarious all the same. it was annoying how he treated the girls and kinda gross but it was also pretty in character and hilarious, and it was kinda weird how so many sixteen year olds liked ryan dean and the characters were great and hilarious without being caricatures. one thing i found really irritating is how ryan dean mentioned joey was gay in literally every scene.

but. oh my god. THE ENDING. i started having a feeling something bad was going to happen which is weird because it was a comedy you know and then the ending happened and i fucking bawled. jesus. okay so this was a really good book. wow. wow. ( )
  jwmchen | Nov 4, 2017 |

Winger is a top-notch YA read that will resonate with readers long after they have finished it. It is that rare book that speaks to all teens, male and female. Who doesn't love an underdog? And an underdog like Ryan Dean West speaks to the humanity in all of us.

A teen at boarding school grapples with life, love, and rugby in a heartbreakingly funny novel.

Ryan Dean West is a fourteen-year-old junior at a boarding school for rich kids. He’s living in Opportunity Hall, the dorm for troublemakers, and rooming with the biggest bully on the rugby team. And he’s madly in love with his best friend Annie, who thinks of him as a little boy.

With the help of his sense of humor, rugby buddies, and his penchant for doodling comics, Ryan Dean manages to survive life’s complications and even find some happiness along the way. But when the unthinkable happens, he has to figure out how to hold on to what’s important, even when it feels like everything has fallen apart.

Filled with hand-drawn infographics and illustrations and told in a pitch-perfect voice, this realistic depiction of a teen’s experience strikes an exceptional balance of hilarious and heartbreaking.SEE LESS
  jothebookgirl | Jan 3, 2017 |
"I have a daughter now; she's 17. When she was born that was the first girl I ever had in my life. I consider myself ignorant of all things woman and female."
-Andrew Smith in Vice

I weep for all the women and girls who didn't exist until his daughter was born. And, also, for the daughter.
  Kaethe | Oct 16, 2016 |
Things just expand and contract. Like the universe, like breathing. But you’ll never fill your lungs up with the same air twice.

Si Looking For Alaska, Paper Towns y una película de John Hughes tuvieran un hijo, sería Winger.

Winger es la historia de Ryan Dean,un junior de 14 años -dos años menor que el resto de los juniors- en el internado Pine Mountain Academy. La historia comienza cuando Ryan (a quien le dicen Winger) acaba de ser trasladado a Opportunity Hall, el ala para chicos problemáticos, por haber hackeado el celular de un profesor. Allí, Winger tendrá que aprender a sobrevivir entre los chicos más rudos del colegio.

Mucha de la narración en lo relativo a la vida en el internado me recordó a Looking for Alaska. Con la diferencia de que Looking for Alaska es aburridisimo, y Winger no :)

Los personajes, todos, absolutamente todos, son inolvidables. Divertidos, únicos y profundos -a su manera-. En esto radica su "similitud" con Paper Towns, donde cada uno de los personajes, incluso los secundarios, eran un mundo por descubrir.

La trama es, en general, divertida y ligera, y se encuentra salpicada con ilustraciones -realizadas por el mismo Winger- que le dan un toque mas de magia. Sin embargo, eso no significa que carezca de profundidad.

No puedo hablar mucho del final porque arruinaría la historia pero realmente me dejo sin palabras, y con un corazón muy roto. Es de esos finales donde sabes que algo va a pasar pero no sabes que, hasta que el hecho te golpea en la cara.

Mi único problema con el libro es la cantidad exorbitante de veces que se repiten las palabras "loser" y "pervert". Creo que repiten esas palabras al menos dos veces por capítulo y ¡el libro tiene 106 capítulos! Así que sí, es mucha repetición.

A pesar de eso, en general me gustó MUCHO. Y creó que Andrew Smith podría ser una fuerte competencia para John Green, si sigue así. Espero leer otro de sus libros, pronto.

¿Por qué no hay más gente leyendo este libro? Realmente no lo entiendo.

The same words that make the horrible things come also tell the quieter things about love. ( )
  Glire | Jun 22, 2016 |
Ryan Dean West just wants to play rugby and make out with girls, but he constantly feels young and wimpy. He talks about this in excruciating, frankly completely boring detail. I didn't find the jokes funny or the dialog realistic or interesting. The characters are thinly characterized; four hundred plus pages and I still couldn't tell one from another. I didn't like it, but I stuck with it because other reviews had convinced me that this was a worthwhile book. Then on page 427 his friend Joey is found stripped naked, tied to a tree, and beaten to death. Ryan Dean spends less than ten pages dealing with this, and then the book ends.

Maudlin, sensationalist bullshit. Either deal with grief and gay bashing or don't, but this is just using a tragic event as a climax because otherwise nothing else would have happened over the course of the entire novel. One could argue that this is a book about masculinity and coming of age, but one could argue with equal sincerity that this is a book about nothing much at all, with one shocking horrible moment at the end to maintain the illusion that this book has heft to it. I am frankly angry and disappointed that this book was nominated for the American Library Association Rainbow List, which is supposed to be for "quality books with significant and authentic GLBTQ content." There's no goddamn GLBTQ content in here--the main character is 100% straight, he has a friendship with a gay dude, and then the gay dude is killed and Ryan Dean feels sad and doesn't really process it at all. If the book had been about Joey, or about his family and friends coming to terms with his death, that would be one thing. But this is about a gay man only as much as a book that mentions the Civil Rights struggle in passing is about race relations. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |

Two years younger than his classmates at a prestigious boarding school, fourteen-year-old Ryan Dean West grapples with living in the dorm for troublemakers, falling for his female best friend who thinks of him as just a kid, and playing wing on the Varsity rugby team with some of his frightening new dorm-mates.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,644,145 books! | Top bar: Always visible