Grasshopper Jungle by Andrew Smith

Grasshopper Jungle

by Andrew Smith

"There are things in here: babies with two heads, insects as big as refrigerators, God, the devil, limbless warriors, rocket ships, sex, diving bells, theft, wars, monsters, internal combustion engines, love, cigarettes, joy, bomb shelters, pizza, and cruelty."

From the first page a memorable ride begins, and it goes on until the last page, where it ends. Lewis Carroll said something like that once.

I won an ARC of Grasshopper Jungle from Penguin's First to Read giveaway. Or rather, I used a significant amount of coins to guarantee a copy, because I just knew that this novel was going to be fantastic. I received nothing in return for this review aside from temporary (insert super sad face emoticon here) access to Grasshopper Jungle, which is to be released on January 29.

Austin Szerba is a chain-smoking, sexually-confused 16-year-old boy. He spends most of his time with his gay best friend Robby and his girlfriend Shann in their small Iowan hometown. Austin Szerba likes to tell history, and when a slippery slope starts the end of the world, he has a lot of history to tell.

Grasshopper Jungle is a hilarious adventure full of charm and wit, some twinges of horror and gore, round and lovable characters, and lots and lots and lots of history. The entire time I was reading, I kept praying this would soon be made into a movie.

It is, without a doubt, one of the best books of the year (and the year is so young!) and among one of the best books I've ever read.

In fact, the only thing I did not like about this ARC was that it was a digital galley rather than a permanent copy that I could reread over and over.

History shows that when a book is really good, you want to keep it close by on a shelf with other good books and revisit it from time to time. You know what I mean. Or at least you will when you follow my advice and read it!

Thank you Andrew Smith for writing this masterpiece and Penguin for giving a few readers the opportunity to read it before anyone else. *cue Hipster bragging rights* ( )
  youdidnthearitfromme | Jun 4, 2018 |
Overall: 3.75 stars rounded up to 4 stars

This is one of those books where you automatically have to make the assumption that the author was on something while writing it. However, as weird and strange as it was, it was entertaining and definitely unique. If you're looking for something completely out of the ordinary (AND I MEAN COMPLETELY OUT OF THE ORDINARY) then this book is a good choice. I mean, I'm traumatized for life but it was still a good read. ( )
  spellbindingstories | May 24, 2018 |
Unstoppable craziness! "You know what I mean." Hilarious and creative this is story telling like no other. Not my usual read.

Warning!!! Should you be easily offend by profanity you should not read this. The brilliance of such writing will be lost to those with delicate sensibilities and closed minds. ( )
  murphyrules | Feb 23, 2018 |
Not as bad as I feared. Not as good as I hoped. ( )
  Dawnssj | Jan 26, 2018 |
Rating on 2017/11/02: Two stars. I appreciate how gloriously weird this book was, but I also don't think this book went more than two pages without mentioning balls, penises, horniness, or masturbation.

And my class had a wonderful discussion about how this book portrays women and misogyny, so, uh, yeah. ( )
  jwmchen | Nov 4, 2017 |
For Michael Bourret, who would not allow me to quit
I read somewhere that human beings are genetically predisposed to record history.

"Austin Szerba narrates the end of humanity as he and his best friend Robby accidentally unleash an army of giant, unstoppable bugs and uncover the secrets of a decades-old experiment gone terribly wrong"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,432,274 books! | Top bar: Always visible