Last Summer by Rebecca A. Rogers

Last Summer

by Rebecca A. Rogers

I liked this. It should have been longer.

Rebecca A. Rogers has a great way with words. The chemistry between Chloe and Logan is obvious and their dialogue flows naturally. Not once was I bored or skimmed over.

Chloe is a great character. She doesn't play games with Logan, I think he needed her attitude to snap out of his pathetic non-existence. I felt for her dealing with her family situation. She's not exactly a child, but something like that always takes its toll on a person, no matter the age.

I didn't really get Logan's story. It was late when I read this, so maybe that's why. I understood how he became an addict, but some of the things we learn about him don't add up. I had a suspicion that his father was abusive, maybe not physically, but emotionally. And then it turns out he's not. It's just, the way he talks about him that gave me that impression. I still liked Logan, though. He knew he's at the point of crossing that line of no return and that he needed help, he just didn't know how to ask for it. I was proud of him for letting Chloe in.

Like I said, this should have been longer. They fall in love, but you don't really see it. You can see them get attached to each other, but not falling in love.
The Big P storyline was a bit of a stretch but I went along with it.

The one sex scene in this is very graphic, but not in a bad way. I thought it was sweet.
The near-rape scene is also very graphic and unpleasant, so beware.

This is a story about two people who were both at that point in life where you just need someone. She didn't want to be alone through this difficult period of her parents' situation. He needed someone to live for (if not for himself). And they find each other exactly when they should. I loved it and definitely recommend it. ( )
  AriBookzilla | Sep 21, 2013 |
Wow. This book was so good. It deals with real life issues in an up front and honest way. Chole Sullivan has graduated from high school and is going to spend her last summer with her parents at her father's lake house. Before, this had been a place of fond memories and fun, but now, it is anything but that. Even though they haven't told her, Chloe knows her parents are on the verge of divorce and can't stand to be around each other. Chloe prepares herself for a long and unpleasant summer. When Chole stumbles upon an old cottage that she and her friend used to play in when they were younger, she happens upon Logan Andrews. She immediately thinks that he is pretty hot, pretty rude mind you, but pretty hot. He asks her to leave and isn't very pleasant about it. Chloe walks out, but doesn't really leave. As she watches through the window, she watches Logan shooting up. It is then that she makes up her mind that she is going to help him, no matter what the cost, and the cost ends up being very high.

When I began reading this book, I literally could not put it down. I immediately fell in love with Logan, and wanted to see him helped. He is quite the hottie to. I really admired Rebecca. She has a lot of her own issues to deal with, but she sees something special in Logan, and she wants to see him set free from the hold drugs has on him. They go through a lot together, and Chloe doesn't enable Logan, but she doesn't abandon him either. She is able to look at him and see the real person, and not the person drugs have turned him into. Without judging him, they embark on a journey to freedom, one step at a time, and in the process Logan ends up helping Rebecca with her issues also. Logan's past threatens to catch up with him, and there are situations which are very intense and dangerous. Things also escalate to violence in Rebecca's family situation.

This book is filled with real life drama. The story line is really incredible. There is plenty of hot steamy romance, and the characters also deal with tragedy, heartache, and pain as they face the issues of drug use and domestic violence. The relationship between Rebecca and Logan is intense, and let me say in advance I loved the ending, and I truly love a book that ends well. They deal with some hard issues and face some tragic consequences, but they also are able to find the good in life and in each other. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and I highly recommend it. It is one of those books that stick with you and I am so glad I read it. Of note, this is a new adult book and contains some intense scenes not appropriate for younger readers. ( )
  alwaysyaatheart | Aug 13, 2012 |

Rebecca A. Rogers is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,469,813 books! | Top bar: Always visible