Alienated by Melissa Landers

Alienated

by Melissa Landers

This was a good, easy young-adult novel. Cara is a typical high school student who wants to do as well as she can in school so she can get a scholarship to pay for school. And because she's done so well she is being offered a scholarship . . . if she agrees to have a student exchange student and then be an exchange student herself. But this isn't your average exchange student, it's actually an alien, and boy.

One of the reasons this is such a quick read is because it doesn't go into a lot of detail. It's one of those "aliens are smarter, better, and of course good-looking" science fiction stories that I'm not really fond of but the story as a fast enough was that it was okay. ( )
  mmoj | Mar 2, 2017 |
An intergalactic love affair! Loved it. So cute. It took me a little while to love the main guy but once it gets good, it gets really good. Can't wait for book 2. ( )
  leahlo89 | Nov 2, 2016 |
Alienated by Melissa Landers I enjoyed listening to this book, but I didn't fall in love with it.

All the characters are well written and the dual point of view was great, but it was definitely a YA story. There are some YAs that have appeal for all ages, but some are really meant to be read and enjoyed most by actual young adults. I feel like this is one of those. Still, it definitely entertained me. It was well put together and the world building was good.

I enjoyed the two protagonists and appreciated their points of view. I particularly enjoyed their individual character progressions. The way the two species had met, come together, made the student exchange a program all made for an interesting premise to begin the book on. I really enjoyed those aspects. The main and secondary characters were just a bit angsty for my taste. Don't get me wrong, they were appropriately angsty for their situations, but that doesn't make it appealing, just believable.

I'll probably read the rest of the series when it becomes available from my library. It'll be interesting to read about how things progress and how they fix the things that went wrong in this first book. The narrator for this one was Madeleine Lambert. I like her as a narrator but it took me a minute to get some of the quirks of her style.

A good book overall, but not one I'll be gushing about for months.  ( )
  Calavari | Sep 28, 2016 |
QUICK REVIEW
Alienated was a joy to read, which is why it was read in a day. It centres around the relationship between a nerdy, redhead human girl and a serious, intelligent, sexy alien guy… and Earth’s desire to send said alien guy packing. While not tremendously deep or realistic (as realistic as alien sci-fi can get), Alienated was so very sweet and actually quite exciting at times. Landers also achieves something quite incredible: writing a spicy couple of scenes while keeping both characters (mostly) clothed and virgins. Yet, underneath all the sugar, you’ll taste the bitterness of prejudice, pulling these two star-crossed lovers apart. (HA, I’m so funny.) If you want a cute, romantic YA –but with aliens and bigots– snatch this book up!

You can find my longer review here: http://danireviewsthings.com/2015/06/30/review-alienated-by-melissa-landers/ ( )
  dani_reviews | Jul 22, 2016 |
I first saw this book while I was browsing the shelves of Barnes and Noble and ultimately I didn't buy it because I wasn't sure if I would like it. So instead I checked it out from the library I work at and read it. Boy am I regretting not buying it! When I first started the book I immediately connected with Cara. She's a very realistic representation of a seventeen year old valedictorian in high school. Most importantly I liked how she and Aelyx don't fall in love right away. The book is more than half way over before they get together. So they start out with a tentative friendship and it evolves. I am so very excited for the sequel to come out so I can read it but unfortunately I have to wait until February 2015. ( )
  oxlabyrinthxo | Jul 10, 2016 |

"High school senior Cara Sweeney gets more than she bargained for when she agrees to participate in earth's first intergalactic high school exchange program"--

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,446,409 books! | Top bar: Always visible