Sealed with a Curse by Cecy Robson

Sealed with a Curse

by Cecy Robson

English (10)  Piratical (2)  All (12)
I loved everything else in this novel apart from the love line. Aric was demeaning and condescending as hell son of a bitch. I'm sorry but I could not stand him and his way of deciding to do something without consulting Celia. Ugh. If you can get past his attitude, it's a lovely read, but not for me. Similar books: The Trouble With Fate, Seven Kinds of Hell, Full Blooded. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
Sealed With a Curse is the first book in the new series The Weird Girls by Cecy Robson.

After trying to hide from the supernatural community for many years the Wird sisters find themselves being judge by the Vampire Court for killing one of the members of the Vampire master Misha Aleksandr’s family.
After interrogation it is determined that the vampire in question was suffering from bloodlust and needed to be killed, the Wird sisters are found innocent but have awaken not only the vampire tribunal interest but also Misha’s.
Celia Wird is the eldest of the four sisters and because of her nature (she can shift into a Golden tigress) she is not used to getting attention of men, they usually run away from her; but now she finds herself as the whole focus of Misha’s attentions. She knows she shouldn’t like it, he’s a powerful vampire, one that wanted them dead but there is something in him almost impossible to resist.
When more members of Misha’s family get infected with bloodlust he realizes somebody is targeting his family and requests Celia’s help with the investigation of these incidents.
Celia doesn’t want to get involve in vampire problems but there is something in Misha that doesn’t let her say no. She try to keep her sisters (Emma, Shayna and Taran) away but it’s impossible, the Wird sisters are like the Three Musketeers, “all for one, one for all”.
This investigation made them cross paths with the Pack of werewolves of the area, more specifically with Aric Conner the Alpha of the pack. A man that with his sole presence make Celia’s hormones go into overload. We also meet Aric’s most trusted members of the pack Koda, Gemini, and Liam.
Vampires want the issue solved, same with the werewolves who are tired of hunting blood-lusted vampires, the only problem is that the werewolves don’t care if solving the issue means killing all the vampires in the process, something Celia will not allow now that she kind of considers Misha her friend. But maybe what she and her sisters want is not what they could achieve.

I will try not to gush too much in this review but I know it’s going to be hard because I really loved this book, you have been warned.

Since the first page of Sealed with a Curse Mrs. Robson takes us in a ride and doesn’t let us go until the very last page. Imagine a big roller coaster with many lows where you are enjoying the smooth ride and highs that have you on the edge of your chair biting your nails, that is Sealed With a Curse.

As I said in my review of the prequel to this series The Weird Girls Mrs. Robson does a stellar job with the characterization of her characters, she gives us four sisters all different and with unique characteristics that made them easy to identify. We have Celia the eldest of the sisters and in a way the most responsible of them; from an early age after the death of their parents she took charge of her little sisters and have seen for them ever since. She loves them dearly but at the same time without wanting she sometimes resent them, because it’s difficult for her to see them make their lives and meet people while she feels lonely and rejected by men, at least until Misha and Aric come to her life.
We also have Taran, she is the second sister, her powers are relating to controlling lightening and flames. She has a short temper and likes to fight. Next to Celia she has protected her little sisters Shayna and Emme.
Shayna is the carefree sister; she is a blade master and can control metals. She prefers to find a happy and easier solution to problems before fighting but she’s not afraid of getting her hands dirty. Finally Emme, she is the sweetest of the sisters and a caregiver, she has healing powers and some telekinesis. Her sisters have protected her all her life from the dark sides of life and she always believes the best in people.

Now to the hotties of the story Misha and Aric, ok, there are more hotties, thank you Mrs. Robson, but Misha and Aric are the main hotties.
When first I met Misha I didn’t like him and wasn’t sure about his real intentions towards Celia, but the more I saw of him the clearer the image of who he really was became to appear and it was impossible not to like him.
Aric is the Alpha of his pack, a very responsible man and as any alpha very protective of the people he cares for. The attraction between him and Celia is off the charts, I have some theories about it but they may be a bit spoilerish so I won’t share them with you. Even though Aric and Celia want to be together I don’t think their road ahead is going to be an easy one, not only Celia is not a were, she is an anomaly and Aric’s family is considered “werewolves royalty”. I can’t wait to see what Mrs. Robson have in store for them in future books.

As I said before this book was a ride, with a fast pace that grabbed me from beginning to end and keep me guessing until the very end. Mrs. Robson gave us some curveballs here, some which took me out of my game, I’m usually pretty good at guessing who the bad guy is but in this case it was almost a surprise when I learned who was it.

The story is entertaining, gritty and funny. I found the balance between humor and darkness perfectly balanced, I think I cringe and laugh out loud the same amount of times. Sealed with a Curse it also a book of many great lines, after reading it I realized I have highlighted a great part of the book.

Mrs. Robson writing is topnotch; it’s amazing Sealed With a Curse is her first full-length novel. I was right in my review of Weird Girls, I have found a new favorite series, one I recommend to all urban fantasy and paranormal romance lovers.
I’m looking forward to July 2nd, 2013 to the release of the second book of the series, A Cursed Embrace.

I recommend you to clear your calendar and have the delivery menu ready when you are reading Sealed with a Curse because after you start reading it you won’t be able to put it down until you reach its very last word. ( )
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Weird powers for four Weird girls cause a curse of messy proportions.

Opening Sentence: The courthouse doors crashed open as I led my three sisters into the large foyer.

The Review:

I haven’t read much Paranormal romance in a while, so I decided to add Cecy Robson’s Sealed with a Curse to the rotation. I haven’t read much Robson’s work, but they have always been received well. Sealed with a Curse starts off with bang, and I was instantly drawn in.

In Sealed with a Curse, the Wird sisters are outcasts. While they would normally steer clear from vampires, the must protect each other and their home. A band of rogue vampires are sweeping through Lake Tahoe, and the sisters must do what needs to be done. Four powerful preternaturals ally with a master vamp and a wolf from pure-blood royalty, and it makes for a witty read.

Robson introduces us to four sisters, orphaned at a young age. There’s Emme, a telekinetic healer, Taran, a magic worker, Shayna, with an ability to transform anything into a weapon, and Celia, with an ability to shift into a tigress. Celia gained custody of her younger sisters, and has never looked back at protecting her family. Each sister compliments each other with their witty snark and loyal personalities.

This story mostly centers around Celia. She is loyal and protective, funny and pretty cool. But while she appears to be filled with bravado and bad-assery, she was also very insecure, at times, to a fault. It wasn’t very fun to read how extremely self-conscious she was.

This is an interesting world. There are the humans and the paranormals, and the sisters are in between. The story progression was paced well, but I wanted to know a bit more about the supporting characters. I understand that this is a series, and most likely the other characters will get their own back stories, but the balance of detail between the characters just wasn’t there.

I enjoyed Sealed with a Curse, for the most part. While I found the characters and the story to be entertaining, there was just something that was missing for me.

Notable Scene:

“Ladies, you have my deepest apology for this unfortunate incident.”

Incident? Between my date with Destiny and the legions of orthodontically challenged waiting to munch on us, “incident” didn’t quite sum it up. “Take your apology and shove it up your—”

Shayna covered my mouth. “Dude! Are you nuts?”

“Oh, Celia, please. Let’s just leave,” Emme begged in a frantic whisper. “It’s almost their lunchtime, for goodness’ sake.”

I allowed them to escort me out of the courtroom while keeping my eyes on Taran. She runway-strutted the entire length of the aisle. Before making her grand exit, she threw one last comment. “By the way, Sir Aleksandr, your vamp sucked in bed.”

I continued to watch Taran until she safely returned to my side. But unlike most males who met Taran, Misha wasn’t captivated by her. No. His hungry gaze fixed on me.

FTC Advisory: Penguin/Signet Eclipse provided me with a copy of Sealed with a Curse. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Jan 21, 2015 |
Oh my! I'm not sure what to say about this book. When I accepted it via the netgalley ARC program, I fully expected the typical paranormal-romance-urban-fantasy trappings. Now, while there were some of the typical story lines (vampires hate werwolves and vice-versa, head vampire and head werewolf both want heroine) there were plenty of surprises. For one, this book has one kick-a$$ heroine. My goodness! She isn't super whiny or lacking a backbone, either! I loved Celia..our main character and paranormal who-knows-what. Thank you, Cecy Robson, for creating her. I may not have always understood what exactly she and her sisters were doing but I did enjoy it.

I have a few little nit-picky things that kept Sealed With a Curse from being rated a 5. Mostly that I would have liked the story to slow down a bit so that I could have gotten more involved with the characters and their relationships but that is just a personal choice. I'm starting to realize that while I do enjoy a well-written plot driven story (like this one), my true love will always be a more character driven story.

You'll have to wait until December 31 (the publishing date) I do recommend this novel for any fans of urban fantasy and paranormal romance but I have one warning for the reader...Cecy Robson holds nothing back when it comes to gruesome details. There were many times while reading one or another fight scene that I was grateful I was not eating while reading...Cecy gets very detailed when body parts are torn apart. ;)

Book two will be out sometime next year and I'll be waiting... ( )
  jsamaha | Mar 14, 2014 |
The Wird sisters quiet life flying under the radar of the Lake Tahoe region supernatural world ended with a bloody splash when Celia's sister killed her vampire date. The sisters' day in court may have ended well, but with bloodlust sweeping through the vampire community, and two potential lovers stalking her, Celia's life just got a lot more complicated.

A bit rough around the edges, but not a bad read. ( )
  SunnySD | Aug 18, 2013 |

Celia Wird and her three sisters are just like other 20-something girls--with one tiny exception: they're products of a backfired curse that has given each of them unique powers that make them, well, weird. The Wird sisters are content to avoid the local vampires, werebeasts, and witches of the Lake Tahoe region--until one of them blows up a vampire in self-defense. Everyone knows vampires aren't aggressive, and killing one is punishable by death. But soon more bloodlust-fueled attacks occur, and the community wonders: are the vampires of Tahoe cursed with a plague? Celia reluctantly agrees to help Misha, the handsome leader of an infected vampire family. But Aric, the head of the werewolf pack determined to destroy Misha's family to keep the region safe, warns Celia to stay out of the fight. Caught between two hot alphas, Celia must find a way to please everyone, save everyone, and oh yeah, not lose her heart to the wrong guy--or die a miserable death. Because now that the evil behind the plague knows who Celia is, it's coming for her and her sisters. This Wird girl has never had it so tough.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,622,497 books! | Top bar: Always visible