The Gladiator's Master by Fae Sutherland

The Gladiator's Master

by Fae Sutherland, Marguerite Labbe

4 ½ Stars

Let me start this review by saying: Holy Freaking Monkeys this book was STEAMY SIZZLING HOT! Getting that out of the way I can tell you The Gladiator’s Master was a very nice surprise. If I’m honest I wasn’t expecting to like this book as much as I did, but this book was great in many ways.

Gaidres is a man who lives for revenge. His previous owner Cruxos came to his little town and not only took him as a slave, he also murdered his lover. After Cruxos death, his nephew Caelius has inherited him and the ludus where Gaidres has lived the last couple of years. Caelius may not be the man who took him as a slave but just by sharing Cruxos blood Gaidres considers him guilty, therefore in his revenge plans he needs to die too.

After arriving to the ludus and meeting his new gladiators for the first time Caelius is appalled at the conditions they have been living. His uncle’s “care” left a lot to be desired. Caelius is a man who doesn’t enjoy violence but see the ludus as an opportunity to increase his political power; for that reason he wants to bring the ludus back to his former glory and decides to invest in the gladiators welfare. One gladiator has caught his eye, not only he is the one in the best shape but Gaidres also has a daring look. Caelius names Gaidres as the ludus representative and mediator. But what Caelius really wants is for Gaidres to come willingly to his bed.

Gaidres is intrigued by Caelius, not only he is a different kind of dominus but he is also a very attractive man. Gaidres knows Caelius wants him and if he is honest with himself he wants him too. Making his decision, Gaidres come to Caelius’ bed. On the beginning he wants to get closer to Caelius just to wait for the perfect opportunity to kill him, but after spending some time with Caelius Gaidres realizes that the Roman he should hate is slowly stealing a place in his heart. A place Caelius will be very please to keep if just Gaidres allows him.

I really liked Gaidres, he is the perfect tortured hero who needs to leave his sad and traumatic past behind to be able to embrace his future and all the good things that will come with it.
Even though I liked caelius I found his character a bit too modern for the times. I’m not so sure how a Roman society would have accepts his actions without a problem.

My final thought: As I said before I really loved The Gladiator’s Master. This book was not only sexy but also emotional intense. The characters are strong and well developed, the story line is interesting and entangling and the writing was beautiful. There are many (great) sex scenes but they are all masterfully written. At no time they felt like fillers but more like an important part in the development of the relationship.
The Gladiator’s Master is a book you will read with a grin on your face and a book I recommend you if you like m/m sexy stories. ( )
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
3.75/5 ( )
  ames | Sep 30, 2013 |
3.75/5 ( )
  ames | Sep 30, 2013 |
An ARe Cafe Top pick for November, 2011.

The Gladiator’s Master by Fae Sutherland and Marguerite Labbe takes place in ancient Rome when the days of the old republic are still in the memory of the citizens under the emperor Augustus. Caelius is a Roman politician who inherits a group of gladiator slaves from his cruel and decadent uncle. He decides to keep them and improve their training so they may fight again for the entertainment of his important guests. The leader of the gladiators is the hostile and attractive Gaidres who has secretly vowed to kill every member of Caelius’s family in retribution for the great losses they inflicted upon him when they forced him into slavery. However, Caelius’s compassion and integrity make a strong impression on Gaidres. When the two men start a relationship, Caelius finds himself falling in love with Gaidres. If he wants a long-term relationship, he must win over Gaidres’s guilt, hatred, and desire for death.

This novel is an emotional epic built on solid historical research. Caelius and Gaidres are both strong, complex characters. Caelius in particular manages to be strong willed and unyielding when he has to be, even while he relishes complete submission at the hands of Gaidres. This is an unusual and intriguing contrast. The sex scenes are very hot and detailed, and work especially well with Gaidres taking the dominant role. If he, as a slave, had been forced to be submissive, the power imbalance might have been uncomfortably exploitative. Meanwhile, the storyline takes no easy shortcuts. Caelius must earn the love of Gaidres. Gaidres must slowly work past the complex emotions that hold him back, and it takes a realistic span of time passing. The novel builds to a wonderfully exciting and unusual climax. It’s a page-turner in every sense and very satisfying to see the main characters win their happy ending. ( )
  AReCafe | Apr 24, 2013 |
Well written, interesting plot, extremely well researched [which is more than I can say for most books these days], excellent characters who stay in character for who and what they are.

This book was very very well done. I admit, I'm surprised. I expected what passes for writing in the Gay erotic genre. Instead I got an actual book by an author who can write.

The story was well crafted and honestly, I couldn't put it down. ( )
  pjh1984 | Mar 31, 2013 |

Sutherland, Faeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Labbe, Margueritemain authorall editionsconfirmed

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,144,127 books! | Top bar: Always visible