There Comes A Prophet by David Litwack

There Comes A Prophet

by David Litwack

Never received from a December 2014 giveaway. Oh well! I guess my review will be based on what I got. ( )
  pomo58 | Aug 10, 2015 |
Originally on my blog

Cover Talk: Okay…I’m not the hugest fan of this cover. It kind of reminds me of The Sims game. That being said, do not let the cover deter you from reading this book. This is one case in which I would have missed out on a great book had I just judged the cover.

First Line: “Nathaniel Rush stomped down the path, cursing his indecision.”

Why I Read It: There was just something about the synopsis that seemed different and genuine than most other books I’ve come across recently. I think it’s this part that captured my attention the most: “If there comes among you a prophet saying ‘Let us return to the darkness,’ you shall stone him, because he has sought to thrust you away from the light.”

Characters: Nathaniel is brave and fiercely loyal when it comes to his friends. I would definitely say he is the reluctant hero as well. While all three friends has this burden of finding the keep, Nathaniel brings a lot on himself.

Orah is fiery and very intelligent. I loved seeing a female character be the brains of everything. Nathaniel and Thomas clearly mean everything to her and she stops at nothing to make sure they are all safe and never separated again.

Thomas is my favorite character. He starts off as light-hearted and not too serious. But after his teaching, it’s as if his spark went out. I loved seeing his character evolve over and over again.

Plot/World-building: The world that Litwack created was fairly easy to understand and it was really interesting to see our modern day through these characters eyes. I’ve never thought about the future and how our world will look hundreds or thousands of years from now.

One of my favorite aspects of this book is how far Nathaniel, Orah, and Thomas are willing to go so that they can bring the truth back to the people. I love this concept of “light” and “darkness” and while it has religious tones, I have realized that it is more than that. (David actually explains this wonderfully in the interview below.)

Final Thoughts: I definitely enjoyed this book. Yes, I have read many adventure books before, but it still felt completely different than anything else I have read. If you are a fan of adventure, sci-fi, YA, etc. you should definitely read this book. ( )
  Ashley_McElyea | Dec 15, 2013 |
Originally published on Tales to Tide You Over

This is an odd tale about a post-apocalyptic world where safety has taken the place of innovation, and creativity is banned. Though a simplistic rendering, the world is a pastoral vision come to life with a manufactured religion in place to ensure success by terrorizing those who seem most likely to rebel. In the case of Nathaniel, Orah, and Thomas, though, the vicars selected poorly. When forced to decide between acceptance and loyalty, they choose friendship. The story follows their journey from ignorance to determination as they learn more than the Temple teachings would ever have allowed.

It’s a good story with interesting characters which, despite a heavy message and somewhat predictable plot, managed to surprise me at times and entertain me at other points. The story is all about quiet discovery and putting together answers from a spattering of clues. The three friends are not flashy superheroes out to save the day. Instead, they offer the realization of the everyman principle where this unlikely group ends up in the right place and time, but it takes more than just that. They must decide to step forward and accept this responsibility, or turn away in the hopes another will come who is better suited. There is a meta element when they read of a fictional hero much as we read the book, but whether any of us see parallels in our own history and future remains to be seen. Still it entertained me enough to keep reading, and brought out some questions to contemplate once the read was done.

P.S. I received this title through NetGalley in return for an honest review. ( )
  MarFisk | Oct 17, 2013 |
Set in a dystopic future, technology is the purview of the vicars, who use it as a form of magic to control the populace. Completely under their grasp, Nat, Thomas and Orah, three young adults, decide to challenge the authority. After receiving a scroll to the keep, where knowledge has been kept and preserved for decades, the three set off to change the world.

Overall, I enjoyed this book. However, everything was just too easy. It didn't seem that the trio faced any real challenges or hard decisions. I think this book is definitely geared towards pre-teens or young teenagers. Overall, a good book, one I would recommend to a younger audience. ( )
  JanaRose1 | Jul 3, 2013 |
This is a story of Nathaniel and his friends Orah and Thomas of Little Pond. Thomas is taken by the Vicar for the teaching and when he comes back he is but a shell of himself. But it's when Orah is taken that Nathaniel races to the Temple City to plead for her that he ends up in prison. There he meets the first keeper of the ancient clues and is entrusted with a scroll and a mission....find the other keepers, the scrolls, the Keep, and learn the truth about the magic of the Vicars.

I loved this story , it moves at a good pace and holds your interest. I have to admit that the kids reminded me of the Harry Potter clan, with Nathaniel being the one that was entrusted with the mission, Orah is the girl and is the smart one, and Thomas who complains, is always hungry and not too brave. But that is where the comparison ends. I really liked them all and loved discovering what the "magic" really is. I was completely satisfied with the ending and am assuming that it is a one book story but I would certainly read book 2 if there was one.

I won this from LibraryThing Member Giveaway and I highly recommend it. ( )
  Draak | Jun 12, 2013 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

David Litwack's book There Comes a Prophet was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,412,923 books! | Top bar: Always visible