Sword Art Online: Aincrad by Reki Kawahara

Sword Art Online: Aincrad

by Reki Kawahara

English (5)  Japanese (1)  All (6)
This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.leafmarks.com & Bookstooge's Reviews on the Road Facebook Group by Bookstooge's Exalted Permission. Title: Aincrad Series: Sword Art Online Author: Reki Kawahara Rating: of 5 Battle Axes Genre: SFF Pages: 256 Synopsis: The Light Novel that spawned the popular anime. 10,000 people get trapped inside a new virtual reality game by the insane creator of said game. The players must clear a one hundred level tower to get free. My Thoughts: First off, I think SAO in nothing but a ripoff off the vastly superior Hack//Slash. So I'm not exactly unbiased. Second, even for a Light Novel, this was singularly blase. I didn't like it but I suspect hardcore fans of the anime would like it. " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
My first light novel. To my understanding, a light novel in Japan is a book that is fast-paced and easy to read, and fleshed out with illustrations in an anime style. The subjects are those that frequent the anime world, such as fantasy, mecha, or shojo. This book is a fantasy story set in a virtual reality game. The premise is that the new Sword Art Online has just launched to a limited number of 10,000 gamers, the lucky ones who bought a copy before it was sold out. Or not so lucky - after several hours exploring the virtual reality world, the maker of SAO reveals that they are not able to log out until someone has beat the game. SAO is the first virtual reality MMORPG, and the game is based on sword style fighting. Players battle their way through Aincrad, a floating fortress island with 100 levels, and a dungeon-type level that connects each land to the new one above. In the beta test, the players could easily log in and out, but once the official version launches, the log out function is removed. Furthermore, players are informed that to die in the game means actual death in the real world.

The story follows one player, Kirito, a teenage boy who was a beta tester for the game. Besides being an avid and adept gamer, he has experience with this specific game. However, Kirito is not good at befriending others, and he branches off on his own to build up his levels and keep himself alive. He becomes one of the top level players in the game. When he meets Asuna, a beautiful player with skills almost equal to his own, he forms a serious relationship with someone for the first time. Together, the duo have the skills to take on Kayaba, the game maker, and end this virtual imprisonment for every one.

I enjoyed reading the book, which made me feel like I was reading an anime show. Even when I read manga, I don't feel like I did while reading this. The writing was scripted to evoke an anime experience, with action sequences and typical anime tropes. It had far less art than I expected, but that didn't detract from the story. The pictures added just enough for me to visualize the book as an anime show. I liked Kirito and Asuna, and the premise was fun. The book is certainly a shallow read, built for entertainment and not depth, but it succeeds in entertaining. It remains, however, a book for fans of fantasy anime. ( )
  nmhale | Sep 15, 2015 |
This is not really manga, although I tagged it as such. It is a Japanese "light" novel. This was a fast read and it was nice to see a strong female warrior character. ( )
  dcoward | Aug 10, 2015 |
Manga and anime match up almost exactly--although I don't recall the story of the blacksmith turning up in the manga.
  LibraryGirl11 | Sep 17, 2014 |
I'll admit just this once that I occasionally enjoy a well-written manga or light novel (no I don't read comics), or a well acted/written/directed anime. No you won't hear those words from me ever again, nor will I ever recommend any of the above to people. My geekiness is firmly hidden under my cool literary snob exterior. Got it?
Also a shout out to those on Baka-Tsuki for translating this. They did a pretty good job. :) ( )
1 vote lafon | Mar 31, 2013 |
It takes a concept with a powerfully compelling (if hardly original) hook and uses it to spin a story certain to speak to hard-core gamers and otaku while also still being fully accessible to those who can appreciate a tech-based adventure story. Throw in a healthy dose of romance, some imaginative conceptualizations of an immersive virtual setting, and a lead protagonist who is a male fantasy stand-in nearly on the level of a James Bond or Duke Togo, and voila! You have a franchise certain to appeal to a broad spectrum of geekdom.

Reki Kawaharaprimary authorall editionscalculated
abecIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Paul, StephenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A impossibly huge castle made of rock and iron, floating in an endless expanse of sky.
This work is the light novel - It should not be combined with the manga.

Solo player Kirito, who had the luck-of-the-draw to once play the beta version of a new VMMORPG, is imprisoned along with 10,000 other players of Sword Art Online (SAO) inside of the game, unable to logout; the only way to live is to unlock all the levels of the game. Death in-game means death in the real world, due to the NerveGear-the console that simulates the in-game character controls by redirecting brain signals. Escaping the death game requires the defeat of the final boss on the top floor and two years later, out of the original 10,000 players at the start, only 6,000 remain and there are 26 floors left to clear.

In the year 2022, some six thousand gamers excitedly explore the new Sword Art Online, which manipulates users' brain waves to create a wholly realistic gaming experience, but soon learn it lacks a log-out button and to escape they must conquer all one hundred floors--or die trying.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,394,108 books! | Top bar: Always visible