A Chinese Life by Philippe Otie

A Chinese Life (2011)

by Philippe Otie, Li. Kunwu, Philippe Otie

A fabulous black & white graphic novel book about life in China from 1949 to the present day, really interesting, explaining many segments of Chinese History during this period. Lots about Chairman Mao and Chinese History through the eyes of an average man. It is funny in parts, like when in the early pages, it described how parents were tying to get their young children (who do not yet speak) to say with their first words, good things about Chairman Mao or singing “The East is Red” instead of the first words being mammy & daddy!!! Did this really happen? This book introduces many events that I did not expect. Much thought as been given to this books story line, which I think is exceptional, this is the first time I have read any of established author Li Kunwu work, and I have to say that I am very impressed, very impressed indeed, this book will appeal to people interested in learning about Chinese History in a different, more relaxed kind of way, that the normal academic path. I didn’t expect much from a black and white novel, but gave it a chance and was highly impressed..... ( )
  Claire5555 | Feb 12, 2015 |
An excellent book. A biography of a man that grew up during the great famine and the cultural revolution. The book does not gloss over the details of China's darker past. Well not too much. Li Kunwu is a member of the Chinese Communist party so he gives the Tiananmen Square protests of 1989 as dismissive paragraph, but does admit they happened. But his explanation, that the crackdown, including the deaths are seen in China as just part of progress, though shocking, give an honest appraisal shared others in his nation. Exceptional art accompanies the remarkable story. . ( )
  yeremenko | Mar 28, 2014 |
Wow, what an incredible journey Li & Otie take us on in this sweeping graphic novel that covers a life in China from 1950 through 2010. The sweep of the changes set in motion by Chairman Mao, and what happened after, are engrossing. I have a better feel now for what it was like, a tiny window into a monumental place. So much change and at the same time, so much acceptance, so much forgetting. Absolutely fascinating and highly recommended. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
This is a translation of a book originally printed in French. The text was written by a frenchman, expressing the story of the Chinese artist's life. Basically the book depicts the artist's experience growing up in Communist China from the fifties up to the Beijing Olympics. Except for that concept, there really is no plot. The book uses the artist's life, as well as the experiences of other people he meets. I did get a sense of what it has been like for someone to go through that history, and the sense of accomplishment and pride felt by modern Chinese. I recommend it highly. ( )
  baobab | Mar 30, 2013 |

Philippe Otieprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kunwu, Li.main authorall editionsconfirmed
Otie, Philippemain authorall editionsconfirmed
I have spent a thousand days and nights steeped in joys and hardships. A union of suffering and delight, pictures and words, which will come to form a significant part of my career as an artist.
Beijing, September 2005.

"An autobiography in graphic-novel form, A Chinese Life traces a remarkable personal journey through modern history, from the creation of the People's Republic of China in 1949 to the present day. Working in close collaboration with writer Philippe ?Otie, artist Li Kunwu has created a timely and compelling memoir of state and self that is at once epic and intimate, comic and tragic, in scope" -- p. [4] of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,426,925 books! | Top bar: Always visible