My Paper Heart (My Paper Heart, #1) by Magan…

My Paper Heart (My Paper Heart, #1)

by Magan Vernon

193537,190 (4.33)1

Another book I really, really liked.

I connected with the characters, esp Libby. I thought it this coming-of-age story was very well done and pulled me in from the start. I liked how Libby changes, and how she starts getting to know herself as a person and making better decisions for her future.

Check it out, it's free on Amazon right now. I don't think you will regret reading this. ( )
  katsmiao | Oct 23, 2015 |
I've enjoyed the first two books in Vernon's My Alien Romance series, so I was more than eager to read My Paper Heart when it was released in August, especially after I learned it was a New Adult title.

My Paper Heart is about Libby Gentry, a college student that flunked out. As punishment, her parents send her to Elsbury, Louisiana to work for her great-aunt, but Elsbury ends up being the exact thing needs. Libby spent her time in college trying to please everyone - to fit in - but it isn't until she moves to Elsbury, and starts a romance with the local "playboy", Blaine Crabtree, that Libby begins to come into her own person.

Libby's character did drive me nuts sometimes, but given her self-esteem issues, her behavior was understandable. I'm actually kind of glad that Vernon wrote Libby the way that she did. Libby's self-esteem issues are something that readers will be able to relate to. It's easy to lose yourself to the idea of who you are supposed to be rather than the person that you really are, and I think Vernon showcases that rather well with Libby. You can see the difference in her attitude from the beginning of the story to the end of the story. She becomes the young woman that she was always meant to be once she stops caring what everyone else thinks, and starts focusing on her own happiness.

I've got to say, I thoroughly enjoyed this one. There is humor, romance, and self-discovery. It's a good NA title that readers will devour. And now that Vernon has confirmed there will be a sequel, I can't wait for more Libby and Blaine (mainly Blaine, not even going to lie). ( )
  nlsobon | Oct 29, 2012 |
Magan Vernon, author of the young adult My Alien Romance series, ventures into the burgeoning New Adult genre. Her sassy female lead, Libby, puts the 'fun' in funny and makes My Paper Heart an extremely entertaining read!

Libby's story will reach the hearts of young women in many walks of life. She's lost, vulnerable, and drowning in the woes of a negative self-image. Until she's sent to Louisiana, as punishment for failing out of her first year of college, Libby doesn't know what it's like to be comfortable in her own skin. This coming-of-age story will captivate readers between its strong romance, tear-jerking moments, and everyday teenage worries.

The content of the novel is meant for upper YA readers, yet Vernon stays true to the teenage voice. When it comes to talk of sexual conduct, the characters speak in a way so as to not stray from the novel's intended audience. The language and content isn't too graphic for readers who enjoy mature themes in young adult fiction. One wish for this story is that Vernon delved a little deeper into Libby's tendency to purge food after eating. It's referred to throughout the novel, but the possible consequences weren't explored, leaving the situation slightly overlooked.

Readers will beg for more of Libby's growing personality and eccentric, but lovable, family. My Paper Heart is highly recommended!

*eARC provided by author in exchange for an honest review*
Originally posted on Lovey Dovey Books ( )
  LoveyDoveyBooks | Aug 14, 2012 |
Please do not combine with My Paper Heart, the complete series.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,758,993 books! | Top bar: Always visible