The Nightingale Girls (Nightingales) by…

The Nightingale Girls (Nightingales) (2012)

by Donna Douglas

Story of three nurses from different backgrounds starting nurses training at the Nightingale hospital,in the 1930s. Very enjoyable read, but not taxing or demanding to read. Definitely reminds me of Call the Midwife Tv series on PBS. I hope the later book in this series are as enjoyable, including those with Christmas titles. ( )
  Pmaurer | Jun 14, 2017 |
Very enjoyable read about three women who begin their nurses training in London. The interaction is great reading and their lives full of suspence and intrigue. I like reading about the medical field and this does not disappoint. I was captivated by the first sentence until the end and fortunately there are two more books following these characters in the series.
I received a copy of this book by the publishing company for an honest review which I have given. ( )
  sh2rose | Sep 6, 2016 |
I received this book in exchange for an honest review via NetGalley. That in no way changes my opinion of this story.

I was interested in reading this book because the description sounded interesting, and was more excited to learn that there was 3 books in this series (and I get the honor to review all three!). However I just now discovered there are 2 additional books in this series and I will definitely have to read those at some point. I can’t be kept hanging, not knowing what happens!

The Nightingale is a very prestigious Nursing School in London, and only the best are accepted to learn there. Here we meet three young women- Dora, Helen and Millie, all from very different backgrounds with different reasons for wanting to become a nurse. As you learn about their lives back home, and the struggles each has overcome, you will fall in love with each of them equally.

Without giving away any spoilers- you will learn about each girl equally, where they are from, what they are struggling with, and what their future goals and ambitions are. And if they are lucky enough between studying and ward training, they just might find peace and love.
  annmwilson09 | Aug 9, 2016 |
The Nightingale Girls by Donna Douglas is the first book in The Nightingale series. It is 1934 in London. A new group of nursing students are ready to start at the Nightingale Teaching Hospital (very prestigious). Matron Kathleen Fox is new to the position and she is what they call a “modern” nurse. Veronica Hanley is a little resentful. Hanley is the assistant matron and thought she would get the matron position when it became available. Dora Doyle is one of the new students. Dora is from the East End (a working class section of London) which is unusual for a student of the Nightingale (most of their students are from upper class families). Dora wishes to have a better life and to escape her step-father, Alf. Lady Amelia Charlotte Benedict or Millie is going to be redoing her initial twelve-week training period (just because she spilled a solution on a judge during the final test). Millie’s grandmother wants her to get married and provide an heir for the family estate. Millie wants to do something useful and her father supports her decision. Millie, though, also believes in living life to the fullest and loves to sneak out at night (which gets her in trouble). Helen Tremayne is also a student at the school. She is the daughter of Constance Tremayne who is on the Board of Trustees. Mrs. Tremayne expects her daughter to become a nurse (even though this is not what she wanted) and to behave in a certain way. Nursing is not an easy profession. It involves quite a bit of studying and a lot of hard, dirty work. Will these girls have what it takes to make it?

The Nightingale Girls takes us back to a different time. My interest was captured immediately and was held throughout the whole book. I did not want the book to end (and was glad to find out that there are more books in the series). The Nightingale Girls has interesting characters from different walks of life. I give The Nightingale Girls 5 out of 5 stars. It is written in a nice, easy to read style. I am looking forward to reading the other books in this series. This is a British novel so there is some British words (slang) and phrases that you may not be used to, but they can usually be understood within the context of the sentence (or paragraph). I did not feel it took away from the story in any way (actually enhanced it).

I received a complimentary copy of The Nightingale Girls from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Kris_Anderson | Feb 13, 2016 |
It is 1930s in the East End of London and the reader is introduced to three very different girls who begin a three year nursing program at the exclusive Nightingale Hospital.
The characters were great and the plot was both interesting and a page turner. The book is sort of like a soap opera with all sorts of drama happening in each girl's life, but it was just the book I was in the mood for.
I enjoyed watching Call the Midwife on tv and this book is similar in that it involves the lives of young women just starting out in life and trying to find their way.
I definitely would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys period dramas. I am very eager to read all the books in the series. So looking forward to what happens to each character and how they develop in each book. I received a complimentary copy from Netgalley.com. ( )
  melaniehope | Aug 27, 2014 |
'Tell me, Miss Doyle. What makes you think you could ever be a nurse here?'

Three very different girls sign up as trainee nurses at a big London teaching hospital in 1934. DORA Leaves her overcrowded, squalid working-class home for a better life. But has she got what it takes to keep up with other, better-educated girls? HELEN Born for the job, her brother is a doctor, her all-powerful mother a hospital trustee. But will Helen's secret misery be her downfall? MILLIE An aristocratic rebel, her carefree attitude will find her up in front of Matron again and again. Will she ever care enough to make a nurse? Or will she go back to the glamorous life she was born to?

Three very different girls sign up as student nurses in January 1936, while England is still mourning the death of George V. Dora is a tough East Ender, driven by ambition, but also desperate to escape her squalid, overcrowded home and her abusive stepfather. Helen is the quiet one, a mystery to her fellow nurses, avoiding fun, gossip and the limelight. In fact she is in the formidable shadow of her overbearing mother, who dominates every aspect of her life. Can a nursing career free Helen at last? The third of our heroines is naughty, rebellious Millie -- aka Lady Camilla -- an aristocrat on the run from her conventional upper class life. She is doomed to clash over and over again with terrifying Sister Hyde and to get into scrape after scrape especially where men are concerned. This utterly delightful novel brings a London pre-war hospital vividly to life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:34 -0400)

January 1936 and three very different girls sign up as student nurses. Dora is a tough East Ender. Helen is the quiet one. And the third is naughty, rebellious Millie, an aristocrat on the run from her life of convention.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,988,818 books! | Top bar: Always visible