Turn the Ship Around!: A True Story of…

Turn the Ship Around!: A True Story of Turning Followers into Leaders

by L. David Marquet

If you are or will be in a leadership position, you need to read this. And read it again. And again. The best empowerment and leadership book I've read to date (and I've read quite a lot on leadership). That it is conceived and written by a Navy Captain only makes it better.

Each point is succinct (apparently misunderstood by some as condescending...odd bit of cluelessness I can't fathom), exceptionally illustrated and with the candid background of what generated it. Many brilliant insights. I plan to adapt much of this. Always learning.

The drivel of David Emerald's TED "power" "empowerment" is pre-school compared to this. Avoid it. ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
Marquet offers a message of empowerment to create a model of leader-leader instead of leader-follower. He constructed his system while executing a turn-around of the Navy's lowest performing submarine. The key elements of his approach are organized around control, competence and clarity. Backed by plenty of real-world scenarios relevant to business as much as military, I found this book valuable and inspiring. ( )
  jpsnow | Nov 13, 2016 |
A very inspirational and practicable leadership guide. This was the one, that made me really want to follow.

I've read a couple books on the leadership issue before. They're written by well-known authors and probably they're really good. They talk about right principles and give practices to inculcate them all at once. But I haven't been really able to do that. Because guiding a group of co-workers (in my case - engineers) purports a bit other relations. I can assume, that quite a small percentage of leadership guide readers actually run a business with tens of employees, so our experience is comparable. I have strong feeling that those books increase a hierarchy stairs footstep between you and followers, that wasn't appropriate for me. This one is different. It's more about exemplifying and cooperation, no matted of rank difference. It doesn't exploit or intentionally generate that difference. And it offers you a recipe of step by step evolution of your ideas. This book matches with my own vision of management and has significantly modified my principles, so it has became my personal guide for now, that I really follow.

What is good for a book, is that it's built more like a memoir, than a textbook. So, it gives you a person to take after, that becomes it's major benefit. The other one is that the story lets you to go through author's experience while reading.
At the same time, it is well-structured so you'll never get lost while looking for some issue and gives you specific recommendations, unlike memoirs do.

I've started with having read a paper book, translated to Russian. And now I've purchased an audiobook, narrated by the author. It sounds great and absolutely clear even for a foreign listener. ( )
  aheadflank | Mar 18, 2016 |
Prevents a mindless application of Lean tools to engage the creativity of team members. ( )
  AndyBAR | Feb 8, 2016 |
A combination business book and memoir, this should be required reading in business schools. I have seen this meme for a fair amount of time, pushing decision making down to the lowest level in the organization so that the people who actually do the work have ownership of what and how they do. When done, it improves morale and increases the bottom line. So why is the idea still in books and not all over the work world? Mr Marquet, in telling his story, shows both the way the program works and some of the problems is setting it up. The people in charge have to support it and buy into not having major control over the workforce. ( )
  susanbeamon | Jul 3, 2014 |
Unknown as to which Turn the Ship Around! this work item goes with.

"Stephen Covey inspired millions with his writings but where did Dr. Covey get his inspiration? This is the story of one such source, one that Dr. Covey himself called the most empowered organization he had ever seen - and a nuclear powered submarine no less. From the vantage point of the commander of the USS Santa Fe, read how the crew completely turned the ship around, going from worst to first by questioning many of our basic leadership assumptions and shifting from take-control authority to give-control empowerment. Share the author's insights as the crew gains unprecedented decision making authority, the risks of doing so, and the reward of an exponentially more effective and more resilient organization. Learn how to achieve astounding results by applying the author's practical steps, such as - Release proactivity and initiative with ''I intend to...'' - Build teamwork and minimize errors with ''deliberate action'' - Enhance responsibility and ownership by eliminating top-down monitoring - Improving morale by focusing on excellence rather than errors" -- Provided by publisher.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,447,594 books! | Top bar: Always visible