Flawed by Kate Avelynn

Authors:Kate Avelynn
Info:Entangled Teen (2012), Paperback, 400 pages
Rating:*****

Flawed by Kate Avelynn

Though I knew what would happen before I went into this book.. I am still at a lack of words for how I feel. I didn't cry, but I feel kind of numb.. a mixture of WTF, relief, grief and anger. It is written very well. I somehow feel cheated or like there was something missing in Flawed. I would've liked a scene or two added in the end with more of Sarah's feelings and how she moved on from the situation. But that may have drug out the agony. ( )
  asgwilli | Dec 2, 2013 |
2.5 Stars
My recommendation could not have been more off when this book was being sold to me as 'Forbidden' by Tabitha Suzuma. It did not follow the same plot, the relationship was not comparable, and I felt a little cheated about what I got into. ( )
  Amoonsiong | Sep 24, 2013 |
2.5 Stars
  Amoonsiong | Sep 24, 2013 |
I can't rate this right now as my emotions are all over the place.

You told me once, dear, you really loved me

And no one else could come between.

But now you’ve left me and love another;

You have shattered all my dreams."

...neither am I sure where to start on my review, so first things first: this isn't a book I'd recommend - not because it was bad but because it talks about topics that not everyone can deal with.

The first sentence will hook you immediately. After reading that first sentence my mind immediately started working out several ways for this story to play out. I was very tense throughout the whole book, waiting for the worst of the worst to happen - At this point I won't tell you if the worst of the worst happened, you'll have to find out yourself (or read another review :P).

I always question myself why I read this kind of books and then this happens:

some chapters had me literally holding my breath as my eyes flew over the pages to read faster,

some chapters put me into a murderous rage,

some chapters put a small smile on my face,

some chapters made me cry,

some chapters filled me with such a sense of dread that I haven't experienced in a book very often,

some chapters overwhelmed me with compassion and pity,

some chapters and the opening quote of this review broke me,

but then there's the last chapter and sadness mixed with melanchony, as well as a strange sort of pride and hope.

And then I know again why I read this, because the emotions are so close to the surface and always on the brink of overflowing, you have no other choice but to feel, no matter what it is that you feel.

I was so mad for their lullaby that dragged throughout the whole book, but in the end I can't be mad because it prepared me for what was to happen even if I didn't want to acknowledge it (That probably sounds cryptic to you now, but I promise you'll understand in the second last chapter at latest). Just thinking about it brings another round of tears.

On one hand, I wish that I could've read some chapters in James's POV but on the other hand, I think that reading in his POV would've utterly destroyed me, so I can't really decide if it's a small blessing or not that I didn't get to see the story through his eyes.

Finishing my review, I've come to the conclusion that this book deserves 5 stars alone for evoking all of the emotions listed above. People will hate this book, people will love it, people will be disgusted but they WILL feel and that always deserves a full star review in my eyes.

P.S.: I won't elaborate on all the things morally wrong with some characters in this book but I will say that no child should ever have think some of the thoughts mentioned in this book and my heart broke into pieces, knowing that some children think these thoughts.
  HereWithoutYou | Mar 31, 2013 |
Needless to say, Flawed was a dark, emotional read. The subject matter - abuse, incest, addiction - all rolled into one novel was not the easiest thing to sift through. Sarah lived a very a hard life, dealing with her father's increasingly escalating abuse, her mother's addiction, and the guilt she carried for every time her brother James protected her. Reading about her struggle to learn who she was outside of all those factors was hard, but by the end, absolutely rewarding.

Flawed is all about the characters. There wasn't much plot, but with a life like the O'Briens', you hardly need another adventure. It wasn't hard to see how James and Sarah got so close. He was always there to protect her from their father, placing himself between his sister and his dad's fists. In the beginning of the book Avelynn illustrates well how close they are and how comfortable they are together. They share a bedroom and are very touchy-feely with each other. He is the one person she knows she can count on, and his affection is comforting and an anchor to her.

Throughout the novel James becomes more and more unstable. Each day, with each new challenge, he becomes more like their father. He has anger problems and is very impulsive. The descent into his anger was subtle at first, but quickly became stifling and hard to ignore. When he steps over the line between brother and more than a brother it ruins everything. Sarah can no longer trust him, and becomes afraid of him.

Alongside Sarah, I fell in love with Sam. He was a window into the outside world, a glimpse at ordinary and normal - something Sarah had never experienced. I just loved him. He wasn't perfect, and all too easily slipped into the role of protector for Sarah. But sometimes he took it too far, and hid things from her "for her own good." Nothing grinds my gears more than that phrase. Sam always meant well, though.

The romance was sort of insta-love but I can totally forgive it this time. Sam has a natural urge to protect the women he loves and so it was easy to see how he developed that relationship with Sarah. And obviously, Sarah would fall for him - she is a teenage girl after all, and it isn't too hard to be consumed by your first relationship. I thought their relationship was very believable for teens and in fact I remember feeling the same way Sarah does multiple times. The "I love yous" came quickly, but it didn't feel forced, or like the author was beating me over the head with it.

Like I said earlier, this book is dark and heavy. The ending is not exempt from that. I cried and cried and my mind exploded. I'm actually a little pissed off about the ending, but I don't think I would change it. It sucks - it broke my heart. But Avelynn offered hope and reality which I can get behind.

The writing in Flawed was lovely. Avelynn's prose is provocative and sometimes lyrical without being too flowery or over the top. The descriptions of the fight scenes, the cage match, and the abuse were spot on. I loved that she didn't take the easy route by having Sarah pass out at the worst times. Instead, Sarah had to live through the episodes, and us beside her. There were instances that were very hard to read, that had my stomach churning and all I wanted to do was shut my eyes to avoid the horror, but I loved it all the same. Avelynn didn't shy away from the horrors of abuse, or the uncomfortableness of some of the situations between Sarah and James. Her writing was honest and refreshing and I commend her a LOT for that.

The only thing that bothered me was the constant reminder that James had always been there for her. There wasn't a problem with showing vs telling. We were constantly showed how James stepped in to protect her. But we were also constantly told that, too. I get it. I do! Now let's please move on with the story.

I know that there are some people who aren't going to like this book. It's very intense and there are graphic scenes. There is also sex - but it is in a positive light, so yay for that. The writing isn't for everyone either. But damn, I love this book. It makes it to my favorites list, and I will definitely be rereading it one day, and I'll definitely be reading more of Avelynn's work. She has a way of building beautiful, true to life characters, and I can't wait to see more of that.

If you're in the mood for something darker than normal, something that's going to stick in your mind for some time after you turn the last page, I highly recommend Flawed. It is a gripping look into the lives of a broken family, and one girl's struggle to end the cycle of abuse. ( )
  PrettyDeadly | Mar 31, 2013 |

YA. Sarah O'Brien is alive because of the pact she and her brother made twelve years ago -- James will protect her from their violent father if she promises to never leave him. For years, she's watched James destroy his life to save hers. If all he asks for in return is her affection, she'll give it freely. Until, with a tiny kiss and a broken mind, he asks for more than she can give. Sam Donavon has been James' best friend -- and the boy Sarah's had a crush on -- for as long as she can remember. As their forbidden relationship deepens, Sarah knows she's in trouble. Quiet, serious Sam has decided he's going to save her. Neither of them realize James is far more unstable than her father ever was, or that he's not about to let Sarah forget her half of the pact.12 yrs+… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,465,937 books! | Top bar: Always visible