Flawed by Kate Avelynn

Authors:Kate Avelynn
Info:Entangled Teen (2012), Paperback, 400 pages
Rating:*****

Flawed by Kate Avelynn

Flowers in the Attic by V.C. Andrews (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Both "Flawed" and "Flowers in the Attic" involved disturbing events and incest.

Great book! Could not put this book down. It is a dark subject yet the author somehow keeps it from seeming to bad even though it is horrid. I recommend this to anyone who can stomach the subject of physical abuse. ( )
  Debbie97462 | Jul 16, 2014 |
All those times I've said a book is depressing? I lied. Nothing I've ever read can even compete with the level of sadness this book made me feel.

major spoilers ahead

Flawed is one of those books where you can easily find yourself in a situation where you don't know want to think of the main characters. They were all so very messed up, but this made them seem almost beautiful at the same time.

Sarah has had to watch her brother protect her for years to a point that she has some difficulty making choices that will make her happy. She's all too worried about James to think of herself. Especially with a father as psychopathic as her's.

James has suffered more than Sarah should or will ever understand. His mentality is a bit screwy, presumably caused by his childhood of abuse and suffering. This shows up most obviously in his sick obsession with his younger sister. She seems to remind him of who his mother used to be before their father ruined her and of who she could have become before she begged James to kill her. His unrequited love for Sarah has caused the two of them great pain, as she loves him as a brother and has no desire to take their relationship past that while she still at the same time doesn't want to hurt him in anyway.

When James and Sam died, I wasn't as surprised as I wish I had been. I wanted them to live more than anything, but the story couldn't have ended properly in any other way.

I may speak on the subject of Sam more later, but for now I can't handle thinking about this book in that depth anymore. It was sad enough in the first place.

ChickensAreBrave | Jun 2, 2014 |
Though I knew what would happen before I went into this book.. I am still at a lack of words for how I feel. I didn't cry, but I feel kind of numb.. a mixture of WTF, relief, grief and anger. It is written very well. I somehow feel cheated or like there was something missing in Flawed. I would've liked a scene or two added in the end with more of Sarah's feelings and how she moved on from the situation. But that may have drug out the agony. ( )
  asgwilli | Dec 2, 2013 |
2.5 Stars
My recommendation could not have been more off when this book was being sold to me as 'Forbidden' by Tabitha Suzuma. It did not follow the same plot, the relationship was not comparable, and I felt a little cheated about what I got into. ( )
  Amoonsiong | Sep 24, 2013 |
2.5 Stars
  Amoonsiong | Sep 24, 2013 |

YA. Sarah O'Brien is alive because of the pact she and her brother made twelve years ago -- James will protect her from their violent father if she promises to never leave him. For years, she's watched James destroy his life to save hers. If all he asks for in return is her affection, she'll give it freely. Until, with a tiny kiss and a broken mind, he asks for more than she can give. Sam Donavon has been James' best friend -- and the boy Sarah's had a crush on -- for as long as she can remember. As their forbidden relationship deepens, Sarah knows she's in trouble. Quiet, serious Sam has decided he's going to save her. Neither of them realize James is far more unstable than her father ever was, or that he's not about to let Sarah forget her half of the pact.12 yrs+… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,147,696 books! | Top bar: Always visible