Flawed by Kate Avelynn

Authors:Kate Avelynn
Info:Entangled Teen (2012), Paperback, 400 pages
Rating:*****

Flawed by Kate Avelynn

I thought it would be like Forbidden, a book that I really liked, but this one was a lot more disturbing actually. Sarah and James are the children of an ex-boxer who has become a violent, drunken loser while their mother is slowly killing herself with painkillers. They depend on each other way more than siblings should. Both of them suffer abuse at the hands of their father, and James has become the protector of Sarah, often taking the beatings for her as the older sibling. He’s trying to protect her so much that he becomes obsessed with her. He makes her promise to never leave him. As appealing as that was at age 9, not so much at 17. And now he won't let her have friends or a job, let alone a boyfriend. But Sarah and Sam fall secretly in love and she realizes that she never expected to have her own life until now. Caught between love and loyalty, Sarah tries to make it through the last summer as a minor to escape her horrible situation but will it be with James or with Sam. It had a very surprising ending for me. It’s a raw and tragic book. ( )
  Ingstje | Jan 18, 2016 |
Great book! Could not put this book down. It is a dark subject yet the author somehow keeps it from seeming to bad even though it is horrid. I recommend this to anyone who can stomach the subject of physical abuse. ( )
  Debbie97462 | Jul 16, 2014 |
Though I knew what would happen before I went into this book.. I am still at a lack of words for how I feel. I didn't cry, but I feel kind of numb.. a mixture of WTF, relief, grief and anger. It is written very well. I somehow feel cheated or like there was something missing in Flawed. I would've liked a scene or two added in the end with more of Sarah's feelings and how she moved on from the situation. But that may have drug out the agony. ( )
  asgwilli | Dec 2, 2013 |
2.5 Stars
My recommendation could not have been more off when this book was being sold to me as 'Forbidden' by Tabitha Suzuma. It did not follow the same plot, the relationship was not comparable, and I felt a little cheated about what I got into. ( )
  Amoonsiong | Sep 24, 2013 |
2.5 Stars
  Amoonsiong | Sep 24, 2013 |

YA. Sarah O'Brien is alive because of the pact she and her brother made twelve years ago -- James will protect her from their violent father if she promises to never leave him. For years, she's watched James destroy his life to save hers. If all he asks for in return is her affection, she'll give it freely. Until, with a tiny kiss and a broken mind, he asks for more than she can give. Sam Donavon has been James' best friend -- and the boy Sarah's had a crush on -- for as long as she can remember. As their forbidden relationship deepens, Sarah knows she's in trouble. Quiet, serious Sam has decided he's going to save her. Neither of them realize James is far more unstable than her father ever was, or that he's not about to let Sarah forget her half of the pact.12 yrs+… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,431,454 books! | Top bar: Always visible