Flawed by Kate Avelynn

Authors:Kate Avelynn
Info:Entangled Teen (2012), Paperback, 400 pages
Rating:*****

Flawed by Kate Avelynn

Flowers in the Attic by V. C. Andrews (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Both "Flawed" and "Flowers in the Attic" involved disturbing events and incest.

Sarah has spent her entire life in a household ruled by her father's iron fists. Her mother spends her days trapped in a haze of drugs, and the only person in Sarah's life who actually seems to care about her is her older brother, James. James has taken beatings her father meant for her many times, but now that Sarah and James are getting older, their relationship is becoming infinitely more complicated. Meanwhile, James' best friend, Sam, has had a crush on Sarah for years - a crush that is definitely mutual. James won't allow Sarah to be with anyone, so their relationship has to develop in secret, but as it blooms, Sarah begins to think that there might be a life for her beyond all of the dysfunction she has known - that is, if James will ever let her go.

Well, I must say that this is a difficult book for me to rate (as well as read), on a few different levels. One of the reasons, unfortunately, is that I grew up in a highly dysfunctional and abusive home myself, which ultimately colours my perception of the story. And let me say that the author did a wonderful job of capturing this type of life, because at times I found some very triggery sentences and thoughts that felt, ultimately, very real and true. The book should make the reader uncomfortable, and I do believe it does.

Sarah is a difficult character to relate to, I think, if you haven't been there. She comes off as very immature and passive, but considering the way she grew up, I would expect this from her. She has no idea what a "normal" relationship is - all she really sees is her parents, which is hardly healthy. And though she does love Sam, when sex is introduced into their relationship, she doesn't really see herself or her wants as a meaningful factor - she is all about if Sam wants sex, if Sam needs her to do this or that, if she can keep Sam in her life by giving him what he wants, etc. Sad, but, once again, I believe true to Sarah's existence.

I have to say that those who seem to think that there is a "love triangle" in this book kind of creep me out a little. Ranting ahead. What James feels for Sarah is hardly love. It's co-dependence. It's an overwhelming need to control SOMETHING in his completely out-of-control life. Does he do nice things for Sarah? Yes, at times. But as soon as Sarah does something he doesn't like, as soon as she isn't his passive little doll that he can put on a pedestal, he loses it and hurts her - emotionally at first, but later physically. He kills Sam at the end because he cannot bear to lose her - and if he truly did love her, he would have let her go, even if it hurt, even if he felt like he was dying inside, because he ultimately wanted her to be happy. But he DIDN'T want her to be happy; he didn't want her to have a life that doesn't revolve around him. And that is why he DOES NOT love her. And, rather than face up to the consequences of killing Sam, he kills himself, which effectively takes everyone out of Sarah's life - her father, who is locked up in jail; her mother, whom he helped kill to help her escape from the hell she had lived all of her married life; Sam, her boyfriend, who wanted to take her away from all of this; and her brother, himself, because he knew, ultimately, that he had lost Sarah, and he couldn't face that.

The ending is sad and brutal, and I can see why it is upsetting. It should be upsetting. But, really, I think it was necessary for Sarah to finally stand up on her own two feet. For her whole life, she had allowed James to make the decisions (something she realizes towards the end of the book), and she was allowing Sam to take James' place in her life. Unfortunately, if Sarah was to have any will of her own at all, she had to be completely alone in her life. And she reflects upon this, a little, at the end of the book.

This isn't an easy book to read, but it shouldn't be. Sarah's life is extremely difficult and tough; I've been in a similar situation. Pulling yourself up by your own bootstraps when all you've only known being kicked down is a hard thing. But I would recommend this book, ultimately. ( )
1 vote schatzi | Jan 16, 2015 |
Great book! Could not put this book down. It is a dark subject yet the author somehow keeps it from seeming to bad even though it is horrid. I recommend this to anyone who can stomach the subject of physical abuse. ( )
  Debbie97462 | Jul 16, 2014 |
All those times I've said a book is depressing? I lied. Nothing I've ever read can even compete with the level of sadness this book made me feel.

major spoilers ahead

Flawed is one of those books where you can easily find yourself in a situation where you don't know want to think of the main characters. They were all so very messed up, but this made them seem almost beautiful at the same time.

Sarah has had to watch her brother protect her for years to a point that she has some difficulty making choices that will make her happy. She's all too worried about James to think of herself. Especially with a father as psychopathic as her's.

James has suffered more than Sarah should or will ever understand. His mentality is a bit screwy, presumably caused by his childhood of abuse and suffering. This shows up most obviously in his sick obsession with his younger sister. She seems to remind him of who his mother used to be before their father ruined her and of who she could have become before she begged James to kill her. His unrequited love for Sarah has caused the two of them great pain, as she loves him as a brother and has no desire to take their relationship past that while she still at the same time doesn't want to hurt him in anyway.

When James and Sam died, I wasn't as surprised as I wish I had been. I wanted them to live more than anything, but the story couldn't have ended properly in any other way.

I may speak on the subject of Sam more later, but for now I can't handle thinking about this book in that depth anymore. It was sad enough in the first place.

ChickensAreBrave | Jun 2, 2014 |
Though I knew what would happen before I went into this book.. I am still at a lack of words for how I feel. I didn't cry, but I feel kind of numb.. a mixture of WTF, relief, grief and anger. It is written very well. I somehow feel cheated or like there was something missing in Flawed. I would've liked a scene or two added in the end with more of Sarah's feelings and how she moved on from the situation. But that may have drug out the agony. ( )
  asgwilli | Dec 2, 2013 |
2.5 Stars
My recommendation could not have been more off when this book was being sold to me as 'Forbidden' by Tabitha Suzuma. It did not follow the same plot, the relationship was not comparable, and I felt a little cheated about what I got into. ( )
  Amoonsiong | Sep 24, 2013 |

YA. Sarah O'Brien is alive because of the pact she and her brother made twelve years ago -- James will protect her from their violent father if she promises to never leave him. For years, she's watched James destroy his life to save hers. If all he asks for in return is her affection, she'll give it freely. Until, with a tiny kiss and a broken mind, he asks for more than she can give. Sam Donavon has been James' best friend -- and the boy Sarah's had a crush on -- for as long as she can remember. As their forbidden relationship deepens, Sarah knows she's in trouble. Quiet, serious Sam has decided he's going to save her. Neither of them realize James is far more unstable than her father ever was, or that he's not about to let Sarah forget her half of the pact.12 yrs+… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,926,619 books! | Top bar: Always visible