Unending Devotion by Jody Hedlund

Unending Devotion

by Jody Hedlund

I love how just when the reader thinks everything is wrapping up another crisis pops up. ( )
  kaylynvh | Oct 10, 2016 |
Lilly believes her sister is being held in a brothel in an area filled with a lot of undesirable people. She helps to get women out of bad situations where they have been mistreated and taken advantage of by men. Connell McCormick, who runs his family lumber business in Harrison, comes into play when Lilly comes into town. Once she discovers what is happening in Harrison, she tries to open Connell’s eyes to the truth while trying to figure out what happened to her sister.

What I liked:

I really liked Lilly’s personality. She is a feisty, strong, and determined young woman. She will tackle a challenge head on if she believes in what she is doing. I think that is cool.

Final Thoughts:

The story got off to a slow start, but once I was a few chapters in, I was the story picked up and I was able to get more into it. This is the second book by Ms. Hedlund that I have read, both of which were really good historical fiction stories. The writing was smooth and everything flowed well. She describes everything in vivid detail and makes the reader connect with the character. Unending Devotion is an engaging Inspirational Historical Fiction story that deals with courage, loss, and love. It is perfect for fans of Christian/Inspirational Historical Fiction.

** I received this book from Bethany House Publishers in exchange for nothing, but my honest review. Thank you!** ( )
  BookConfessions | Mar 11, 2013 |
I read Unending Devotion, in exchange for review from Bethany House. The book was written by Jody Hedlund and published by Bethany House. I have the paperback version from Bethany House and also purchased the Kindle Edition from Amazon.

The book is about Lily, who wants to find her sister, Daisy. She looks in hotels, while also rescuing women, from bad situations. The opening of the book, she is attempting to save Edith, a prostitute, whose master has taken her coat and shoes.

The book took a minute to get into. I kept reading the beginning over and over again (not because the book was bad, but kept getting distracted with kids and other tasks). Lily had to deal with crazy men and Connell, a rugged man and Lily's protector. The book is a very good read.
  staciewyatt | Jan 21, 2013 |
I loved the story of Lily. She’s doing something that I think most people wouldn’t have the courage to do. She’s saving young women who are in need of rescue. But the one young woman she wants to rescue eludes her. Lily was so focused on her sister that I don’t think she realized when love came knocking on her door. It took her a little while to realize she was falling. But I liked that about the story. She wasn’t hard-headed, well yeah she was to a point, she was just so focused on what was important to her. I think that’s always how it happens. Love finds you when you least expect it. And even though she tried to listen to what God wanted for her she was so focused on her “mission” that she didn’t realize that God had put love in her life for a reason.

Connell was probably my favorite character. He’d been hurt and wasn’t quite ready to move on. So I think he was just as shocked when he realized that he was falling in love. But what I liked the most about him is that he was so much like many men I know. At first he just went with the flow. Lived his life and tried not to meddle in what was going on around him. But once he realizes that what is going on bothers him, maybe with a little influence, he stands up and does what’s right in his heart.

The writing was pretty good. I can tell that Hedlund did her homework. Being a Michigander I’ve done a bit of research on how the logging companies worked when they set up shop in the north of the state and Hedlund’s account seems to be pretty accurate. It really helped me connect to the story to see the author really knew what she was talking about. She may have took a little liberty, but to write good fiction I think that’s a necessary evil. And even though the end was a bit on the cheesy, everyone’s happy side it was still good. I didn’t cry (surprisingly) but it was still a touching story. ( )
  Justjenniferreading | Oct 30, 2012 |
Lily Young and her sister were orphans when her sister was placed with a family. She wasn't happy and ran away for a "job where she could make lots of money fast." Lily knew this was not good and was determined to rescue her sister from a live of prostitution. She worked with a kind bear of a man named Oren who was a traveling photographer. As they travel through various logging camps Lily searches for her sister and saves other young girls from a gruesome fate.

In one small town Lily meets Connell, a young man trying to prove himself to his father and also "one of the boys." At first he doesn't understand her militant stand against bars and whores but starts to come around and soon the two are fighting together to both find Lily's sister and clean up the town. But not everyone is in favor of said clean up. Will their blossoming relationship be able to withstand familial and other pressures?

This is a sweet tale of an impetuous girl and a thoughtful boy falling in love. Ms. Hedlund builds her romance slowly with humor, grace and it is grounded in as much reality as possible. She has a true gift for bringing time and place to life. It was a fast, page turning read with very likable good guys and rotten bad guys. She brings to light the horrors of a "trade" that goes on to this day, luring in young girls with promises of easy money. The love of family - whether the one you are born into or the one you create - can help surmount any difficulty. ( )
  BrokenTeepee | Sep 14, 2012 |
For all of the many women who are helpless, hurting, and abused:
May you find a way out of the coldness of winter into the fresh spring of freedom and hope.
It was time. The drunk shanty boys were finally quiet.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0764208349, Paperback)

High-Stakes Drama Meets High-Tension Romance

In 1883 Michigan, Lily Young is on a mission to save her lost sister, or die trying. Heedless of the danger, her searches of logging camps lead her to Harrison and into the sights of Connell McCormick, a man doing his best to add to the hard-earned fortunes of his lumber baron father.

Posing during the day as a photographer's assistant, Lily can't understand why any God-fearing citizen would allow evil to persist and why men like Connell McCormick turn a blind eye to the crime rampant in the town. But Connell is boss-man of three of his father's lumber camps in the area, and like most of the other men, he's interested in clearing the pine and earning a profit. He figures as long as he's living an upright life, that's what matters.

Lily challenges everything he thought he knew, and together they work not only to save her sister but to put an end to the corruption that's dominated Harrison for so long.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:23 -0400)

Lily Young's search for her lost sister takes her to Harrison, Michigan, where she meets Connell McCormick. Soon Lily has Connell's help, but the danger they face may cost them everything.

Bethany House

An edition of this book was published by Bethany House.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,364,006 books! | Top bar: Always visible