School Success for Kids With Dyslexia and…

School Success for Kids With Dyslexia and Other Reading Difficulties

by Walter Dunson Ph.D.

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Having a granddaughter with dyslexia, I was hoping that "School Success for Kids with Dyslexia..." would give me clues to help her.

This book was written by a knowledgeable man, for people who have a greater understanding of learning difficulties than I have. It was a "heavy" book, meaning it went into details in which I had little interest. Overall, I found it to be beyond what I needed. It seems to have been written less for the layman and more for professionals.
  Bandings | Apr 12, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book goes into detail about the stages of learning to read, types of reading difficulties, and how to pinpoint exactly what your child is struggling with, and how to help. It has information on how English words are constructed, and lots of lists of prefixes, roots, and diagnostic words. It helped me pinpoint exactly where my daughter's weaknesses were.

I recently read "Why Can't My Daughter Read?" and I feel that the two books should switch titles. This book deals far more with the WHY, and that book deals far more with achieving success in a public school district and advocating for your child. I think both books are helpful.
  Suso711 | Aug 22, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book gives a few ideas on how to help the students. ( )
  aimelire | Jan 28, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
What happens when your child struggles to read even though he desperately wants to read and gather information? As a parent, we all want our children to be successful in school and in life. Walter Dunson's book provides insight to many of the underlying issues where reading problems begin. As the parent of a child with dyslexia, I wanted to read and understand how my son was "wired." I really enjoyed the chapters that described the brain functions and how certain areas affect reading abilities. As a teacher it was nice to see the practical advice for how to help children with reading challenges. Thankfully, my son has a wonderful teacher who has used many of these practical strategies which have helped him become the reader he wants to be. I would definitely recommend this book for educators and parents. The sooner one begins the strategies, the faster the results will be. ( )
  lms8esmith | Nov 14, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a solid, practical how-to book for educators and interested parents helping students with reading difficulties. The book ephasizes a phonemic approach and clearly details where and how each phoneme is encountered and the issues surrounding each phoneme's use (There are 44 in the English Language). It can seem a little overwhelming, as the English language is notoriously slippery and elastic, but, taken step by step, the book is quite prescriptive.
  marnocat | Nov 12, 2012 |

School Success for Kids With Dyslexia and Other Reading Difficulties provides parents and teachers with goals that will meet the needs of students who are struggling with reading, leading them to work through their reading difficulties and enjoy the task of reading.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Walter Dunson Ph.D.'s book School Success for Kids With Dyslexia and Other Reading Difficulties was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,509,157 books! | Top bar: Always visible