A Cat Was Involved by Spencer Quinn

A Cat Was Involved

by Spencer Quinn

I finished and started the next the same night. So far enjoying Chet and Bernie. ( )
  nraichlin | Jan 26, 2016 |
A cute story for young readers about a PI and his dog, Chet. Narrated by Chet, the author has captured his voice beautifully and with humour. A fun read. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 22, 2016 |
Very short little appetizer of a tale that was a very fun read. My first intro to the Chet & Bernie series and am looking forward to reading more soon. Worth the $.99 for the chuckles I got. ( )
  Zumbanista | Apr 28, 2014 |
Rating: 3.5* of five

The Publisher Says: Spencer Quinn’s first original e-short story reveals how everyone’s favorite detective duo—Chet the Dog and P.I. Bernie Little—came to meet before their first big case in Dog On It.As fans know, Chet first met Bernie on that fateful day when he flunked out of K-9 police school. The details of that day though have always remained a little vague (like so much in Chet’s doggy brain). All we know is that Chet had been the best leaper in his K-9 class, but for some reason he failed his final leaping test...and that a cat was involved...and that there was some blood. But whose? The test, the cat, the blood—all pieces of a puzzle that, when solved, will bring down a dangerous gang of thieves—and signal the start of a beautiful friendship.

This fateful day has been alluded to in every book in the series, and now fans of Chet and Bernie will finally get to find out what actually happened. For these two beloved characters, it was something like love at first sight—and, for Chet, at first smell, too.

My Review: Here's what you need to know...it's exactly as much fun as you'd expect it to be; it's got the trademark Chet narration that leaves nothing to a human imagination except why we don't get to think this way; and it breaks from the canon of history set up in the first two books about Bernie's marriage and Chet's place in it.

Like all !&$^!%(^%!$*$$(^$)&%)^(%*!$ ebooks, I can't quote anything to you because how? But the story's only 39pp or so, and it blows by faster than one actually wants it to, and it costs a whopping ninety-nine cents. It's actually not necessary to read from a series standpoint, but heck, for chump change, buy it, read it, and smile for a half-hour. Sounds like a win to me!

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. ( )
2 vote richardderus | Jun 13, 2013 |
This is really a short story, the prequel to Dog On It and the entire Chet & Bernie mystery series, but it fills in a blank for me & it’s important enough for me to record as book. (Count it as a novella: honestly, it’s hard to know how long it was since it was on my Kindle.)

This series is my very favourite. It’s light-hearted enough to be narrated by the dog, which device is a source of much humour. But it’s always a good, serious mystery too.

This short story filled in the blanks of Chet & Bernie’s meeting – and it has a mystery to boot. Loved it!

Read this if: you’re a Chet & Bernie fan (obviously); you like dogs and mysteries and are looking for a new series to read; or you want a small taste of what the series is like – if you like this story, you’ll like the books. 5 stars ( )
  ParadisePorch | May 10, 2013 |
"Chet -- let's get a move on, buddy."

[retrieved 8/20/2012 from Amazon]

Quinn delivers an original short story answering the question on all his fans' minds: How exactly did Chet (the dog) and Bernie (the PI) meet? Everyone knows that Chet met Bernie on the day he flunked K-9 police school, but the details--including a cat, some blood, and a dangerous gang of thieves--have to be heard to be believed.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,988,896 books! | Top bar: Always visible