Cold City by F. Paul Wilson

The Repairman Jack books are an occasional read and I've come across them at random, so I've not followed the sequence properly, but basically he takes care of things that normal law enforcement types can't and comes across bizarre, supernatural evils that he has to deal with.
This book is a prequel where Jack comes into New York City as a very young man, takes a dead end job, proceeds to run afoul of some workmates, gets fired and then gets involved with a seedy enterprise that should have been fairly straight-forward, as long as he gets out in time.
Of course, things go badly wrong and he has to make some choices.
As a story, it's okay, but these are real people he's up against,not nasty supernatural types (though something is hinted at through the story) One of the characters has a bit of a rant about the value of the right to bear extreme arms and at another time there's a lecture explaining how certain countries are used to slavery, it comes to them naturally, which doesn't sit terribly well when you think of the history of slavery in our own culture.
So I'm only rating it 2 stars because those things leave a bad taste in my mouth.
  quiBee | Jan 21, 2016 |
Having never read any of the Repairman Jack novels, I thought Cold City would be a good place to start, since I would be starting the series in chronological order. I immediately found the character of Jack to be engaging, a twenty-one year old kid who is trying to live off the grid in a big city after avenging his mother’s death by killing the man who murdered her. He has a hard time controlling his temper as evidenced by giving a co-worker a horrific beating after the guy sucker-punched Jack. He befriends Abe, a wizened old Jew from New York who doesn’t always abide by the law but seems to have his own moral compass that guides him. Later, Jack gets a job running cigarettes from North Carolina. After saving twenty-eight young girls from being sold as sex slaves, by the end of the book, Jack has made himself a boatload of enemies, who want to see him dead.

Jack is a sympathetic character who is easy to relate to. He is young and makes some very poor decisions, like not killing one of the sex slave traffickers and busting the guy’s knees instead. This novel seems like it was mostly setting the stage for what is to come in the subsequent books in the trilogy since nothing is resolved at the end. The pace of the novel is good and the writing is professional, making for a pleasant and easy read. I thought the characters were well-developed. The one thing I didn’t like is the Order, a shadowy international cartel with untold wealth and operatives whose objective is to create chaos. This group seemed very cliché, like about a dozen other groups I have read in fiction novels, and their goal of chaos seems silly and lacks believability. This was a fun read and I look forward to the next two novels in the series.

Carl Alves - author of Conjesero ( )
  Carl_Alves | Dec 22, 2015 |
Cold City is a prequel to F. Paul Wilson’s Repairman Jack series. Unfortunately, the series would have been better had it been left alone. The story was contrived with almost all of Repairman Jack’s backstory unfolding over the course of a week. If you want to know how Jack connected with Abe, Julio, etc… you’ll find out in a very forced unenjoyable fashion. Skip this one. ( )
  JechtShot | Jan 26, 2015 |
Interesting beginning of Jack's adventures in New York. Liked the introduction of the Order and the normal multiple storylines. Did not like it that none of the storylines were really wrapped up - but other than that, cool introduction to adult Jack and how he starts to become the Repairman. ( )
  slimy07 | Oct 10, 2013 |
Jack, not yet Repairman, arrives in NYC and falls in with Abe and Julio. Adventures ensue. Nothing supernatural, except that the Septimus Order is lurking in the background. Also no plot closure, even in fairly minor matters; this is annoying. ( )
  readinggeek451 | Jan 12, 2013 |

The first of three Repairman Jack prequels, revealing the past of one of the most popular characters in contemporary dark fantasy: a self-styled “fix-it” man who is no stranger to the macabre or the supernatural, hired by victimized people who have no one else to turn to.

We join Jack a few months after his arrival in New York City. He doesn’t own a gun yet, though he’s already connected with Abe. Soon he’ll meet Julio and the Mikulski brothers. He runs afoul of some Dominicans, winds up at the East Side Marriott the night Meir Kahane is shot, gets on the bad side of some Arabs, starts a hot affair, and disrupts the smuggling of preteen sex slaves. And that’s just Book One.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:32 -0400)

A first installment in a new prequel trilogy traces the early career of self-styled "fix-it" man Repairman Jack, who after moving to New York City establishes relationships with Julio and the Mikulski brothers while investigating a murder, launching a passionate affair and dismantling a child sex slave operation.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,617,665 books! | Top bar: Always visible