The Broken Destiny: Book One of the Broken…

The Broken Destiny: Book One of the Broken Series

by Carlyle Labuschagne

252428,870 (5)None

Review to come ( )
  amdase | Nov 4, 2014 |
Prologue

Throughout my life I have been searching for something. Something I thought I ought to be. I felt like I was living someone else's life, waiting for the awakening of my own. Like an empty shell burning for life.

That was until the day I lay dying in the Prince's chambers. I could no longer feel the pain from the tear in my gut, only the hollowed-out feeling that I had made a huge mistake in assuming that taking my own life would have stopped the ancestor's spirit from raging out. I gave up, didn't want to see myself kill the ones I loved. I was the chosen one, and threw it all away for what I thought would be to save a life. Could you end a life to save a life? I did, and have regretted it ever since. I realized then that things like me were not meant to exist. So you ask what it was that had been missing my whole life. It was I. To find myself I had to lose myself, in the worst possible way. The consequences of my actions became the legend of The Broken.

My Thoughts: This story centers around Ava, a teenage girl who just happens to be the chosen one, destined to save, even though her kind has also been called cursed. Ava lives on a planet called Poseidon. After the earth was destroyed, humans migrated here because it was much like Earth. They live here with the other inhabitants of the planet and are referred to as "The Broken." Ava is the third generation of "The Broken," a race of genetically enhanced human beings. Only two are known to have survived from the first generation. Most of the females from the second generation have died giving birth, and many of the second generation males have gone mad during "the change," which occurs around puberty. With most of the first and second generations gone, that only leaves the third generation, "The Broken." A chosen few of these will undergo the change at puberty, some go mad, others experience specially enhanced powers, and Ava, well Ava is destined, she is "The Chosen," because within her lies the power to change the destiny of the planet, and her generation.

Ava and her best friend Sam attend the academy for the humans. Ava has always been different, she is a beautiful girl, but has always felt like she didn't fit it. Sam has been there for her, comforting her when the nightmares come, looking out for her. They are governed by the Council, a group comprised of the different races besides the humans, including the Minoans and the Zulu people.

One night after not being able to sleep Ava goes downstairs and encounters a strange male with a smooth voice, who she should be frightened of, but at the same time feels drawn to. She is still thinking about him the next day. The next afternoon after their game, the girls are walking with with their other friend Maya, who lives in the Minoan village, when a guy on a motorcycle catches Ava's attention. There is something strangely familiar about him. She and Maya are going to the Minoan village to Maya's house. On the way there, while crossing a bridge they are attacked by dark evil beings. Though they try to fight, Ava ends up going over the edge into the water, only to be saved by Enoch, Maya's hot brother. Ava is also drawn to him, yet doesn't feel as if she can trust him. This was the first attack, the beginning of the destiny that Ava had been chosen for. There is no stopping what is going to happen from this point on. It has begun. The question is, can she and those she loves survive until the end?

I really loved this story. It is a combination of dystopian, fantasy, science fiction, and paranormal romance. There is so much that goes on that it can't possibly be contained in a review, but know that it is really good. I loved the characters. Ava is the heroine. She's not perfect and she knows it, and she makes some bad choices, which she really beats herself up about, but she manages to pull herself out of the pit of despair and condemnation, with a little help from Troy. Ah, Troy, what can I say. He is the super hot bad boy that every girl dreams of. He and Ava have chemistry that sizzles, though they have a hard time managing to get together. So many obstacles are in their way. He may get frustrated with her, but he is always there when she needs him. Then there is Enoch. Enoch is really hot to, but he has a dark side. He is Maya's adopted brother, but everyone warns Ava that he is bad news and to stay away from him. She doesn't. Things seem good, then things turn bad, really bad. In the midst of all this romance, there is an evil being that is trying to abduct Ava for his own purpose to rise to into power and take over the planet. Ava and those protecting her constantly have to battle all kinds of voodoo, magic, and evil entities. Ava is also trying to learn how to access and use her powers, and keep those she loves alive.

There are so many more other great characters that you get to know in the book. All were entertaining and well written. The plot was creative, imaginative, and unique. Carlyle Labuschagne creates a fantasy world in "The Broken Destiny" that is filled with intrigue, beauty, and mystery. I found myself turning the pages, anxious to see what would happen next. Not only do you have plenty of romance and mystery, but there's also murder, battles with people and evil beings, and action galore. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. If you are looking for something different, love YA fantasy, paranormal romance, and science fiction, combined with a dystopian feel, then The Broken Destiny is one book you will want to check out. Carlyle Lasbuschagne has done an outstanding job with this debut novel, the first in the series, and I am looking forward to seeing where she takes the story from here. ( )
  alwaysyaatheart | Aug 15, 2012 |

An amazing new sci-fi, urban fantasy series begins with The Broken Destiny: Book One of the Broken Series. Ava's people have been exiled to the planet Poseidon where, through a series of awful events, Ava discovers that their existence has been fabricated by the Council and that she has a Destiny that could save them. Her soul is a key to a secret weapon that has been lost to an ancient race. To live up to her Destiny, Ava needs to go through a sequence of changes that will reveal her true purpose. Throughout her journey she will become what she hates in order to save the ones she loves; and through it all she will find herself - for that is her Destiny. The next in the series, Evanescent, is not to be missed.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,987,162 books! | Top bar: Always visible