Deadly Little Secrets: The Minister, His…

Deadly Little Secrets: The Minister, His Mistress, and a Heartless Texas…

by Kathryn Casey

OMG. I know this book has raving reviews but after reading a few chapters, I wasn't sure if I wanted to read anymore.

I thought it would be another book where the victim is portrayed as an angel with no faults at all. Ann Rule has a tendency to write like that and it seems more and more true crime authors are copying this annoying habit.

Right now I am at page 138 and if I am honest I can't stand anyone. Not the victim, not the husband, not the people from all those churches who now what is going on but just want to get rid of their problem, not thinking one second of the people that will be also victimized because they do nothing. Funny that those people are exactly the ones that call themselves so religious. To me living religiously means doing good and being good to others.

Yes I get annoyed at people who are always so full of them selves, how religious they are and how well they behave,and live the life according to God, Allah,Buddha whatever but in the mean time, watch others suffer and do nothing.

Sorry pet peeve over.

Finished the book.
Well I must say it did get better after about 135 pages.

I feel awful for her the way she died and I know people make mistakes and hers was her husband. So sad for her children and her loved ones.

Okay there was more that confused me.
That there are so many churches and religious communities in America plus that as a young guy begin a minister you can go from one job to the other apparently no need to have any verification on how you were on your last job?

What also confused me all the stuff before the trial and it must not feel safe when there apparently are so many prosecutors who only take a case to trail, if they are sure to win it. To me that does not sound like a great legal system. Or that they only take cases because the publicity will be good for them.

Then I also was annoyed by the police department. O how they hate to be wrong, like the religious people in this book,they preferred to wipe it all under the table and pretend it did not happen.

Please do not think I am some American basher. Yes I know those people exist, they hate everything that has to do with the USA. Well not me, I like the country and would love to go back one day to see more of it.

Okay back to the book. Not sure what to give it. I wish we were able to give half a stars cause then it would be 3.5.

Story was very slow at times and as I mentioned above sometimes very one sided. I did enjoy the book and the writing except for that.

O wait and why why why? Why do so many true crime authors find it necessary to spill all in the first chapter or prologue.
If it is the prologue I at least know that can be the case but in this book chapter 1 told everything what was going to happen in this book.
Boy I was glad I skipped it and instead searched for where it all began ..
3.5 stars ( )
  Marlene-NL | Mar 12, 2016 |
Another GREAT true crime book. Interesting how Matt could fool so many people for so long. This book really shows how careful we need to be in todays world. I love the very end where the auther told about when she talked to Matt in prision to make sure that all the facts she collected were true. It gave me an opportunity to see how the author researched the crime as well as listening to both sides. I also saw what a true snake Matt was. ( )
  ChildofGod | Dec 11, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0062018558, Mass Market Paperback)

A man of God . . . driven by the evil

To his parishioners, minister Matt Baker seemed a pious and good man. To his wife, Kari, he was a devoted husband and caring father. Always sunny and vivacious, Kari never questioned their frequent relocations from one small Texas Baptist church to another. Even when tragedy struck, Kari remained strong—until one day, inexplicably, she took her own life.

To friends and family, Kari's suicide made no sense—and they struggled with questions they couldn't answer. Why couldn't Matt hold a job with any one church? Why did he cut off all contact with Kari's devastated parents soon after her death? And who was the blond companion he began appearing with just days after the funeral? But it would take a team of investigators and dogged determination to bring Matt Baker's dark secrets to light—revealing a shocking history of lies, infidelity, cruelty, and sexual obsession that may have led a serial predator cloaked in God's word to commit murder.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:42 -0400)

"To his parishoners, minister Matt Baker seemed a pious and good man. To his wife, Kari, he was a devoted husband and caring father. Always sunny and vivacious, Kari never questioned their frequent relocations from one small Texas Baptist church to another. Even when tragedy struck, Kari remained strong - until one day, inexplicably, she took her own life. To friends and family, Kari's suicide made no sense and they struggled with questions they couldn't answer. Why couldn't Matt hold a job with any one church? Why did he cut off all contact with Kari's devastated parents soon after her death? And who was the blond companion he began appearing with just days after the funeral? But it would take a team of investigators and dogged determination to bring Matt Baker's dark secret to light - revealing a shocking history of lies, infidelity, cruelty, and sexual obsession that may have led a serial predator cloaked in God's word to commit murder."--Cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,757,880 books! | Top bar: Always visible