Cecil the Pet Glacier by Matthea Harvey

Cecil the Pet Glacier

by Matthea Harvey

A weird little story about strange parents and a "normal" child who attracts a pet glacier. She can't stand the pet until he finds her lost doll at which point she finally learns to appreciate him. I loved all the details regarding how to take care of Cecil. It was easily my favorite part of the book. ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |
This was a very interesting and unique book. Ruby is "a normal girl with not so normal parents." Her parents are quite eccentric, and they go to Norway for a vacation. Ruby discovers that a glacier follows her. The glacier ends up saving one of her favorite dolls. The whole story was quite strange, and I liked it at some points and not others. I am not sure how much children would like this book. It was very cute at some parts, though. ( )
  rpazmino-calligan | Nov 30, 2014 |

Ruby gets a pet that she didn't want, a glacier named Cecil. This is a story about wanting to fit in but learning that it's okay to be different.

In a starred review Publishers Weekly raves: "It’s an avant-garde, surrealist story with a Hollywood-style tearjerker lurking within—and a surprisingly charming and affecting one at that."

Award-winning poet Matthea Harvey and illustrator extraordinaire Giselle Potter team up to create an indescribably unique picture book about wanting to be normal, then coming to appreciate being different. Ruby would love to be like everyone else—not easy when you have a tiara-wearing mother and a father who spends his time trimming outrageous topiary. She'd also like to get a nice normal pet, maybe a dog. Then, on a family vacation to Norway, she finds herself adopted by a small, affectionate glacier. How Cecil, as the ice pet is named, proves himself to Ruby—risking his own meltdown—is a story sure to thrill and delight young readers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:15 -0400)

Ruby Small's embarrassingly eccentric parents take her on a vacation to Norway where she acquires an unwanted pet, a glacier named Cecil, who finds a way to melt Ruby's heart.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,176,699 books! | Top bar: Always visible